Ireland v England

uttoxram75

Seemed quite calm. Fans will give them s****, both would have improved them massively so any anger is understandable.

I do wish the rules were more strict in terms of representation, get rid of this my nans butcher was Irish. Remove any ability to choose and this nonsense goes away.

Look at Lee Carsley, refusing to sing the national anthem, I’m not arsed by it, again understandable given his 40 games for Ireland. He’s a Brummy though, born and bred. 

Would have never made the England team, but that doesn’t mean you whip out the family tree to see where you can get a game.

26 minutes ago, Day said:

Seemed quite calm. Fans will give them s****, both would have improved them massively so any anger is understandable.

I do wish the rules were more strict in terms of representation, get rid of this my nans butcher was Irish. Remove any ability to choose and this nonsense goes away.

Look at Lee Carsley, refusing to sing the national anthem, I’m not arsed by it, again understandable given his 40 games for Ireland. He’s a Brummy though, born and bred. 

Would have never made the England team, but that doesn’t mean you whip out the family tree to see where you can get a game.

I certainly think the qualification should minimum 1 parent born in the country or the player to be a passport holder of the country in question (which means that country acknowledges them as a citizen). Residency requirements are so variable that I don't think that alone should be sufficient for qualification.

8 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I certainly think the qualification should minimum 1 parent born in the country or the player to be a passport holder of the country in question (which means that country acknowledges them as a citizen). Residency requirements are so variable that I don't think that alone should be sufficient for qualification.

Say I had an Irish dad, English mum, I was born in Derby, lived there all my life, I should only be able to represent England in my mind.

The Declan Rice thing is a joke really, his parents were born and raised in London, as was Declan. Yet because his Dad’s mum and dad were Irish he represented them at all youth levels through to the senior team. 

For me, not only is it wrong he was ever allowed to represent Ireland, it’s also wrong that he can switch like that. 

We have domestic football where you can move teams, representing your country should be an honour reserved for the elite players of their country. 

Haaland, both parents Norwegian, Erling born in England yet moved back to Norway at 3 years old. For me, Norwegian despite having British citizenship as he was born here.

Basically what I’m saying is appoint me as the head of FIFA and UEFA, whilst I’m fixing this I would also sort the Champions League out which is false advertising when you have 4 clubs from one country in it. How can you have 4 Champions? Football needs fixing and I’m the man to do it.

4 minutes ago, Day said:

Say I had an Irish dad, English mum, I was born in Derby, lived there all my life, I should only be able to represent England in my mind.

The Declan Rice thing is a joke really, his parents were born and raised in London, as was Declan. Yet because his Dad’s mum and dad were Irish he represented them at all youth levels through to the senior team. 

For me, not only is it wrong he was ever allowed to represent Ireland, it’s also wrong that he can switch like that. 

We have domestic football where you can move teams, representing your country should be an honour reserved for the elite players of their country. 

Haaland, both parents Norwegian, Erling born in England yet moved back to Norway at 3 years old. For me, Norwegian despite having British citizenship as he was born here.

Basically what I’m saying is appoint me as the head of FIFA and UEFA, whilst I’m fixing this I would also sort the Champions League out which is false advertising when you have 4 clubs from one country in it. How can you have 4 Champions? Football needs fixing and I’m the man to do it.

Rice is qualified to apply for an Irish passport. If he obtained a passport, he'd be an Irish citizen and it's hard to argue that an Irish citizen can't represent Ireland. That's the stumbling block - different countries have different qualification requirements for citizenship and passport eligibility. FIFA and UEFA generally allow any player with a clear connection to a country to represent it in their competitions, and usually require them to hold either a passport or ID card issued by that country. I think a rule that tried to give the football bodies primacy over national/EU laws might be hard to implement.

If we can beat teams like Spain France Argentina etc with Carsley and when we go 1 up we don’t put 11 men behind the ball. If he doesn’t play our all time top scorer in the defensive midfield position and we play with some flare that this team should be able to produce then who cares if he doesn’t sing the national anthem. In fact he can sing the Scottish Russian or Chinese national anthems for all I care. Likewise if he makes us a better national team I wouldn’t care if he was born on a different planet.

Edited by Gritstone Ram

1 hour ago, Srg said:

While we are it, what on earth is this manufactured outrage on Carsley deciding not to sing the anthem? Who cares? Proper brexit behaviour. 

Hilarious innit? And all from the "keEp POliTICs ouT Of FoOTbALL" crew who lose their minds over rainbow laces and players kneeling down

Screenshot_2024-09-07-11-59-08-939-edit_com.twitter.android.jpg

It's a minor sideshow, but I do believe the manager, staff and players should all sing the anthem. What's the point of playing it else?

Anyroad, won't stop me enjoying the game. The flip side of the ABE thing is that it's nice to rub their noses in the fact that we've got a decent team and they haven't.

12 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

It's a minor sideshow, but I do believe the manager, staff and players should all sing the anthem. What's the point of playing it else?

Anyroad, won't stop me enjoying the game. The flip side of the ABE thing is that it's nice to rub their noses in the fact that we've got a decent team and they haven't.

My view is National Anthem’s are outdated and should be done away with. 

Get rid of the anthems and introduce face offs like you see in UFC with the captains.

Referee in the middle reminding them of the rules and to listen to him, before inviting the players to touch shin pads if they want to

IMG_6469.jpeg

3 hours ago, Day said:

I can kind of see the point that it gets a little tenuous when it comes to grandparents and beyond, but really? If your Dad was an Irish national, regardless of where you were born and lived - you would be half-Irish.

I think the rules are fine as they are, because

1) they allow flexibility for a player to choose who they want to represent based on their heritage (one guy in your scenario might hate his Irish Dad and not feel in the least bit Irish. Another might love his Dad and be absolutely stoked to make him proud by representing his home nation)

2) they allow more players to experience the privilege of international football (eg Steve Howard was never going to get picked for England, but was good enough to get into the Scottish team)

3) they allow smaller countries to at least try and be more competitive by widening the pool of eligible players

40 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I can kind of see the point that it gets a little tenuous when it comes to grandparents and beyond, but really? If your Dad was an Irish national, regardless of where you were born and lived - you would be half-Irish.

I think the rules are fine as they are, because

1) they allow flexibility for a player to choose who they want to represent based on their heritage (one guy in your scenario might hate his Irish Dad and not feel in the least bit Irish. Another might love his Dad and be absolutely stoked to make him proud by representing his home nation)

2) they allow more players to experience the privilege of international football (eg Steve Howard was never going to get picked for England, but was good enough to get into the Scottish team)

3) they allow smaller countries to at least try and be more competitive by widening the pool of eligible players

Have a half Irish team, cut and England and Ireland shirt in half and stitch them together.

Problem solved.

So the England manager won't be singing God Save The King. Why is it even being played. Happy to hear it at the Olympics and other events when the UK nation as a whole is being represented. The Jocks and Taffs don't play it before their games. Why isn't there an English national anthem being played before an England game.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

So the England manager won't be singing God Save The King. Why is it even being played. Happy to hear it at the Olympics and other events when the UK nation as a whole is being represented. The Jocks and Taffs don't play it before their games. Why isn't there an English national anthem being played before an England game.

There’ll always be an England.

Rose of England

Jerusalem 

Land of Hope and Glory