Free Agent Strikers

Srg

2 hours ago, Fife Ram said:

Kemar Roofe would give you 90 minutes……

…….a season if you were really fortunate. Would have his on name badge on the treatment table too

boys made of sugar paper 

Cracking chant though 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

I’m trying to look at this is as a potential blessing in disguise. Surely this will be huge for Brown? Warne needs to trust him, he could prove way better than someone we could’ve spent our measly budget on. 

Really wouldn’t take a lot for him to be worth some serious money too.

Makes far more sense to invest time in him, who might not be good enough, as opposed to Collins who while a cult hero, we really know is not good enough

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Really wouldn’t take a lot for him to be worth some serious money too.

Makes far more sense to invest time in him, who might not be good enough, as opposed to Collins who while a cult hero, we really know is not good enough

Precisely. Let Brown grow and make mistakes, it might not work out but we know full well Collins isn’t the answer nor the future. 

13 hours ago, Srg said:

Looking further afield…

Isaac Success (28)

Famara Diedhiou (31)

Robin Quaison (30)

Aaron Seydel (28 -  6ft 6!)

Famara Diedhiou is one that I would have been all over, 31, had a great scoring record at Brizzle. Looks like he has forgotten where the net in recently though.

On 31/08/2024 at 13:41, CapeTownRams said:

No one out there now who is really what we need…

Three windows and still here…. Could be our downfall this season. We better be very good at the back as I don’t see us getting many goals….😳

I share the desire to sign a big mobile #9...but 7 goals in 4 games ain't too shabby. 

Yes. Said on the radio yesterday he didn’t really have space in his squad or inclination to bring someone in who might rock the proverbial boat. 

Looks like some of those they were in for went for what they regard as silly money and or changed their minds and stayed at the parent club. 

Did say they hadn’t looked abroad and the way it came over seemed like an admission of something they should have done. 

1 hour ago, England Ram said:

Yes. Said on the radio yesterday he didn’t really have space in his squad or inclination to bring someone in who might rock the proverbial boat. 

Looks like some of those they were in for went for what they regard as silly money and or changed their minds and stayed at the parent club. 

Did say they hadn’t looked abroad and the way it came over seemed like an admission of something they should have done. 

Yes, on looking abroad, said we hadn't in the end. However, then said everyone at the club had done all they could. Seems contradictory.  I would be very interested in the reasoning for this and whether we might go this way in January. 

1 minute ago, Andrew3000 said:

Yes, on looking abroad, said we hadn't in the end. However, then said everyone at the club had done all they could. Seems contradictory.  I would be very interested in the reasoning for this and whether we might go this way in January. 

The domestic market seemed to explode this summer. Perhaps we entered it thinking we can get a player for a certain amount, only for transfer fees to triple and wage demands ot double?

I'm surprised we didn't look at forwards in Sweden or the Netherlands considering we we obviously looking there for other positions.

I'd also be surprised that an analysis/stats department couldn't at least identify some targets later in the window when we realised we were being priced out of the domestic market. It may have been down to the level of risk we wanted to take in terms of not knowing personalities, how they'll settle at the club, on how foreign leagues compare with our own?

Maybe a question for the next Q&A evening.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The domestic market seemed to explode this summer. Perhaps we entered it thinking we can get a player for a certain amount, only for transfer fees to triple and wage demands ot double?

Definitely. The sums being charged for Championship level strikers have been insane this window. I think the additional Sky cash and clubs having fully recovered after the Covid era has led to another huge surge in typical values. I keep thinking it's unsustainable and is about to crumple like a house of cards and every year I'm proved wrong. I actually thought that there were better value for money deals seen in the Prem this time around. 

37 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm surprised we didn't look at forwards in Sweden or the Netherlands considering we we obviously looking there for other positions.

I'd also be surprised that an analysis/stats department couldn't at least identify some targets later in the window when we realised we were being priced out of the domestic market. It may have been down to the level of risk we wanted to take in terms of not knowing personalities, how they'll settle at the club, on how foreign leagues compare with our own?

Maybe a question for the next Q&A 

I would be shocked if the info was not there, I mean you provided a great deal of interesting targets over the past few weeks! We researched personalities of JWZ and Kenzo, so why not with a foreign striker?  Maybe he rates Brown higher than some think and not many we could afford were worth dropping him down for. As you say, an intriguing one for the Q&A.

Much as I’d like another striker, they’d have to be better than Collo and Brown otherwise it’s a waste of money. Free agents are free agents for a reason, I suspect there aren’t many that fit my criteria. We got lucky last season with Collo staying fit until the New Year (though unlucky with TJJ). Maybe we just have to manage until the next window, although it gets no easier in January. 

Ladapo could be a reasonable option, unlikely to be first choice but a reasonable option if we need to lump it to someone who is a nuisance in the box. Still not convinced he gets ahead of Collo or Brown though.

16 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Warne said not looking to do anything in quotes on DET website.

If Yates gets a bad injury I think we are worryingly short personally. 

Collins is a different player and not mobile or good enough. Brown is untested to be leading the line regularly. Jackson and NML are much better wingers.

Edited by Chester40

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

If Yates gets a bad injury I think we are worryingly short personally. 

Collins is a different player and not mobile or good enough. Brown is untested to be leading the line regularly. Jackson and NML are much better wingers.

If Yates gets injured then it’s something we could potentially look at, because I believe we could replace him in the squad (let me know if I’m wrong?). 

By all accounts, he seems incredibly robust to injuries so we would have to be really unlucky. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

If Yates gets injured then it’s something we could potentially look at, because I believe we could replace him in the squad (let me know if I’m wrong?). 

By all accounts, he seems incredibly robust to injuries so we would have to be really unlucky. 

As a link person who can lay the ball off, Chirewa might be an option. I am looking forward to seeing how he performs when amongst the first team.

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe a question for the next Q&A evening.

It's an odd one, because we've been told the data scouting, or whatever you want to call Bobat & Co, won't come into use until next year, however, we did identify Kenzo and JWZ so how were those two identified? Was it the early shoots of some of the data scouting, or was it via another method? And as you said, why wasn't some strikers identified similarly?