Overseas Strikers ?

Do our recruitment team only look at home or Europe for better value players and specifically strikers  - I ask because Blackburn have just signed their second Japanese striker to replace Szmodics who’s been sold to Ipswich for £9m + add ons. This second Japanese striker has been playing in the J League for years and has a great scoring record - he’s cost circa £700k. The first one they signed had scored in every game so far. Celtic have also signed a few for cheap money and they’ve done well too. 
Should we be casting our gaze further afield ? 

33 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

Do our recruitment team only look at home or Europe for better value players and specifically strikers  - I ask because Blackburn have just signed their second Japanese striker to replace Szmodics who’s been sold to Ipswich for £9m + add ons. This second Japanese striker has been playing in the J League for years and has a great scoring record - he’s cost circa £700k. The first one they signed had scored in every game so far. Celtic have also signed a few for cheap money and they’ve done well too. 

Do Japan use Zoom? Would limit our ability to sign someone if they don't use zoom.

Did you know Paul uses Zoom?  I bet he is on a zoom call right now!

45 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

I expect this 2nd one to be a flop. He's offered very little to his team other than goals this season. Last season (in the 2nd division) he scored 9 goals, the first time abive 3 in his career.

Now 29, he's scored 15 in 21 games in the top division. However, his xG would suggest 8 is a fairer reflection of the chances given to him. Doesn't shoot very often and doesn't even get on the ball in the box. Poor chance creation for others, poor dribbler, poor defensive contribution. Blackburn must be hoping he's suddenly found his shooting boots and could be a top finisher - I doubt it given his history.

1 hour ago, Keepyuppy said:

Patience.

It wasn't that long ago we were limited to North of Hadrian's Wall.

We're working our way south...

37 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

Ryo Germain is I guess a small gamble to make with the money made for Szmodics for the around £500k fee that it's reported. He's 29 so there's not much time for any kind of resale and a lot older for the typical age of when J League players try their hand at making it abroad. He's had quite the surprising recent rise where this is his first season with double figures (15 goals) and 9 goals last season in J2. Before that he was very much a bit part player because he's seemed to have found his footing I guess with the step down to J2 and finding confidence.

The J League is becoming quite the popular well of talent and it's going to be interesting how it can cope with the amount of talent leaving at short notice. As I've mentioned before players don't really typically start in the J-League till 21-22 years old when they leave University as studies are still seen as a priority.

A player to keep an eye on especially for Derby would be Takuma Nishimura (27 years old) for Yokohama F Marinos. Very similar to Yuki Ohashi/Kyogo where they play as a central part of a front 3 rather than a 9 or 10. Just returned after going on loan to Servette in Switzerland and played in Europe but they didn't make it permanent. Was really highly rated when he was young and joined CSKA Moscow before eventually joining Yokohama with Ange. Got called up for national team last year and scored against Uruguay. Impresses me every time I watch him. Here's his goal this past weekend. 

42 minutes ago, Rammeister said:

Paul Warne in Japan about to watch Nagoya Grampus after going to their club shop to buy a hat to keep his profile low key.

IMG_9065.jpeg

Paul Warne filming the new series of An Idiot Abroad?

"The Great Wall of China? More like the alright Wall."

For a good striker you have to be prepared to go to the end's of the earth to find one at the right price, a lot of the strikers signed by Championship clubs have been from overseas this season: 

Makhtar Gueye & Yuki Ohashi to Blackburn
Fally Mayulu to Bristol City
Andreas Hountondji to Burnley
Wilfried Kanga to Cardiff
Muhamed Tijani to Plymouth
Elias Sorensen to Portsmouth
Zan Celar to QPR
Ike Ugbo to Sheff Wed
Zan Vipotnik to Swansea
Mamadou Doumbia to Watford

It's clear to see there isn't a great deal of value in the UK market and there's a requirement to look elsewhere. It feels like we have been chasing a striker since Warne walked through the door. I would've hoped that the recruitment team would've uncovered someone by now, personally. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

For a good striker you have to be prepared to go to the end's of the earth to find one at the right price, a lot of the strikers signed by Championship clubs have been from overseas this season: 

Zan Celar to QPR
Ike Ugbo to Sheff Wed
Zan Vipotnik to Swansea

It's clear to see there isn't a great deal of value in the UK market and there's a requirement to look elsewhere. It feels like we have been chasing a striker since Warne walked through the door. I would've hoped that the recruitment team would've uncovered someone by now, personally. 

Out of those Fally Mayulu was the only player who showed up on my searches as a suitable player and he's costing Bristol £3m. At the time, I said he'll bag 20 goals in a season in a couple of years time. It's interesting to see him score 2 in 2 games already despite coming off the bench in both games.

Sorensen would have shown up if I considered looking at the Danish 3rd tier. Despite him being far too good for that level, he would have been a very big gamble. Interestingly he had a couple of loan to England 5/6 years ago - Blackpool and Carlisle. He failed to score in 40 games.

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Out of those Fally Mayulu was the only player who showed up on my searches as a suitable player and he's costing Bristol £3m. At the time, I said he'll bag 20 goals in a season in a couple of years time. It's interesting to see him score 2 in 2 games already despite coming off the bench in both games.

Sorensen would have shown up if I considered looking at the Danish 3rd tier. Despite him being far too good for that level, he would have been a very big gamble. Interestingly he had a couple of loan to England 5/6 years ago - Blackpool and Carlisle. He failed to score in 40 games.

Yeah, Sorensen seemed like a crazy pickup at the time. The Danish third tier must be akin to step 3/4 in the UK. Talent can be hidden everywhere, but find that a huge reach. He did score against Leeds, but found himself on the bench promptly for the follow-up game. 

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Patience.

It wasn't that long ago we were limited to North of Hadrian's Wall.

We're working our way south...

Isn't Japan more east?🌏

7 hours ago, Keepyuppy said:

Im not sure how the scouting works to be honest! Id have thought weve been building our scouting networks up the last season! So europe right now is probably where were at this window, but im sure the goal would be worldwide! I guess it takes, money and time to start developing the knowledge of leagues and clubs around the world to narrow down targets that would fit our demands! Higher risks in signing players further afield aswell id imagine! Language barriers, settling into a new country, leaving family, styles of play, work permits etc!

Theres a certain football manager game that ive played but im not sure how realistic the scouting set ups are on there lol!

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Zan Celar to QPR
Ike Ugbo to Sheff Wed
Zan Vipotnik to Swansea

The English football leagues must get absolutely scouted to death to saturation point. 

I'm sure that if we had a striker from the leagues identified then they would be at least on the radar of another couple or three clubs and it ultimately would come down to whom would pay the most money for them. 

How far down the pyramid do you go, park football?