Championship 24/25 rival watch

Oxford giving Norwich a good game so far. It’s clear Norwich have better players and they do look the better side but Oxford are really matching them. Aggressively winning the ball back and looking dangerous when they do break forwards. 

I posted this in the Foitball thread earlier.

Is it just me looking on a little jealously at Oxford and Pompey’s line-ups today? We look to have by far the weakest recruitment of the 3 promoted sides so far. Let’s hope we come good on deals in the final 3 weeks of the window.

Edited by DiggerB

20 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

I posted this in the Foitball thread earlier.

Is it just me looking on a little jealously at Oxford and Pompey’s line-ups today? We look to have by far the weakest recruitment of the 3 promoted sides so far. Let’s hope we come good on deals in the final 3 weeks of the window.

Hopefully mods will merge them if needs be 👍🏻

In fairness I thought Oxford were brilliant when they came to Pride Park and played lovely football under Liam Manning. They wobbled when he left but it looks like they have found their feet again. 

The high press possession based football looks like it may be more effective in the championship than league one too. They deserve their 2-0 lead today and Norwich were rocked by a player withdrawing from the team this morning because he wants to leave. The dressing room morale must be low at Norwich with Sara leaving, Rowe wanting out and Sargent looking to leave. 

9 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

2-0 ffs they look so much better than us.  I have no idea how. On paper we should be better than Oxford. 

They set up well out of possession, work hard to close the spaces when they lose the ball, move it around quickly and efficiently and have Harris up front! We’re the polar opposite currently 

Honestly reading stuff like "we're the worst team in the league" after one game is pretty embarrassing even by the standards of some of our fans. Absolute joke to be honest.

We're probably going to add about 4-5 more players at least and will have players like Ward, CBT and Yates back very soon.

2 seasons ago we came back for pre season with 5 players.

Getting out of league of league one after 2 seasons was a great achievement. Teams like Pompey, Ipswich, Sunderland etc were down there for a lot longer and had chance to properly build. 

Of course it's going to be difficult. But we've played one game (we lost the first two last season and went up) and I saw more than enough yesterday to know that with a few additions we will be fine 

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Honestly reading stuff like "we're the worst team in the league" after one game is pretty embarrassing even by the standards of some of our fans. Absolute joke to be honest.

We're probably going to add about 4-5 more players at least and will have players like Ward, CBT and Yates back very soon.

2 seasons ago we came back for pre season with 5 players.

Getting out of league of league one after 2 seasons was a great achievement. Teams like Pompey, Ipswich, Sunderland etc were down there for a lot longer and had chance to properly build. 

Of course it's going to be difficult. But we've played one game (we lost the first two last season and went up) and I saw more than enough yesterday to know that with a few additions we will be fine 

Hard not to worry when the teams we expect to be around us this season look like coherent footballing sides and we still look like a total shambles.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Hard not to worry when the teams we expect to be around us this season look like coherent footballing sides and we still look like a total shambles.

Games will come thick and fast and it’s tricky to make a judgement till at least 6 games . But as we stand - we are not in the bottom 3 which looks a bit better . ( thanks to Wilson’s late consolation goal)