Investment

26 minutes ago, Crewton said:

See, I say that because our points total for 2nd place has only been exceeded 4 times in 20 years - and Pompey's 97 points only bested 7 times - so if last season was the "weakest ever" what factors are being used to define that?

Just a feeling I got as a ST holder and Away member - that we were playing against some dire teams . 

On 04/09/2024 at 09:39, jimtastic56 said:

Leicester City have got away with it again . In 2002 they went bust and diddled creditors out of £30 mill. Now they have escaped a points deduction over a technicality. Do any clubs know where they stand when it comes investing in players ? 

Jammiest club going:

Knacker going in to admin for any future team. 

Win the PL in a fluke season.

Avoid a points deduction by getting relegated and then promoted.

The only comfort we can take is that their squad looks pretty poor and i'd be surprised if they stayed up regardless of the points deduction not occurring. 

If we had a foreign billionaire step in, pay Mr Clowes back and take the reigns, would that make folks happy, or worried?

Sack Warne, bring in a glamorous name, gear up for a big splurge in Jan? Blow the wage structure? All sounds a bit Birmingham to me. Don't fancy it. Goes wrong more often than right.

What about someone UK based with a solid reputation to go halves with  Mr Clowes on funding the club and ease us into a slightly better position in the transfer market? Sounds better on paper, but then boardroom division can be grim for a club too if anything goes wrong.

Whatever we do, sensible building beats silly spending. I'm perfectly happy to Nigel Clough/GSE along for a season or two. As long as Mr Clowes fancies picking up the tab, stick as we are.

Still bewilders me that Amanda Staveley was looking to pump £300 million pound into Tottenham when there is an opportunity to invest in us or other clubs within the football league pyramid. 

Nothing will beat what Clowes has done for this club but I’d love a good investment into the club by the right people; assuring that clowes is kept in the loop on behalf of all us also 

30 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

Still bewilders me that Amanda Staveley was looking to pump £300 million pound into Tottenham when there is an opportunity to invest in us or other clubs within the football league pyramid. 

Nothing will beat what Clowes has done for this club but I’d love a good investment into the club by the right people; assuring that clowes is kept in the loop on behalf of all us also 

I agree 100%, we have to be one of the best options in the EFL to invest in. There is genuinely less than 5 clubs in the efl who have 

- 29 thousand at home minimum every week 

- got 27 thousand in league one

- sell out nearly every single away game 

- are debt free 

- don’t need any renovations to stadium or training ground

- have a cat 1 academy that compete with the top 6 in nearly every age group

If someone wants to buy a championship club and build what they want we have to be up there with the best options to buy.

2 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I agree 100%, we have to be one of the best options in the EFL to invest in. There is genuinely less than 5 clubs in the efl who have 

- are debt free 

If someone wants to buy a championship club and build what they want we have to be up there with the best options to buy.

It’s bewildering. 

I may be being biased. ( I truly am when derby is involved)  but there is a club as you have mentioned, that could go on easily to be a top ten premier league team with the right investment and protocols. I think the sports science department is a massive step towards this also 

7 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

- are debt free 

Generally agree except:

1) I'm not sure about "29 thousand at home minimum every week". I doubt there will be 29k for games like Swansea at home on a Wednesday night in November.

2) Technically the club is externally "debt free". Surely if someone wanted to take over the club, Clowes Development would be looking for the parent company debt to be repaid.

I'm quite happy with the way DC is running the club. Steady as she goes! We have seen what overspending does, lets remember that. Football is a huge bubble of debt waiting to burst, mainly caused by paying the players and agents way too much. Lets hope we are never in that position again.

I’m sure I read that DC had a series of investors lined up for assisting with and enabling future promotions. 
I didn’t read that as selling the club but rather investing in its development as required. Suits me I don’t ever want to be owned by rich foreigners that understand Jack💩about the club or what it means to us!  

19 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Generally agree except:

1) I'm not sure about "29 thousand at home minimum every week". I doubt there will be 29k for games like Swansea at home on a Wednesday night in November.

2) Technically the club is externally "debt free". Surely if someone wanted to take over the club, Clowes Development would be looking for the parent company debt to be repaid.

Be hard to drop below 27 ish thousand though and can’t see it doing so. Also on the debt free thing I was more so talking about how it would allow new owners to spend a good amount of money when they would come in to give them a good start. All clubs will have fees and debts to be paid if they’re buying a club. 

7 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Be hard to drop below 27 ish thousand though and can’t see it doing so. Also on the debt free thing I was more so talking about how it would allow new owners to spend a good amount of money when they would come in to give them a good start. All clubs will have fees and debts to be paid if they’re buying a club. 

True but you said 29 thousand minimum. I was also just pointing out that the club isn’t technically debt free.

Sorry for being such a pedant.

Just seen the latest Tony Bloom interview on Sky . He gave detailed information on Brighton’s short and long term plans for the future . He has just spent £200 million on players for Brighton . He explained why they have to sell players and why he brought in a very young manager. He never mentioned size of home gates or training facilities . ( which seems to obsess us ) . Would we be happy with an owner like him? We don’t really have a say . 

32 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Just seen the latest Tony Bloom interview on Sky . He gave detailed information on Brighton’s short and long term plans for the future . He has just spent £200 million on players for Brighton . He explained why they have to sell players and why he brought in a very young manager. He never mentioned size of home gates or training facilities . ( which seems to obsess us ) . Would we be happy with an owner like him? We don’t really have a say . 

So you’re asking if we would be happy if we had a gambler for an owner who would put us hundreds of millions of pounds in debt, l think we had one of those 🤔

16 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

So you’re asking if we would be happy if we had a gambler for an owner who would put us hundreds of millions of pounds in debt, l think we had one of those 🤔

Nobody wants Mel back - He didn’t know what he was doing . We all owe David Clowes a massive debt of gratitude. But we don’t really have a say in when he wants to hand over the reigns and who to . 

8 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Nobody wants Mel back - He didn’t know what he was doing . We all owe David Clowes a massive debt of gratitude. But we don’t really have a say in when he wants to hand over the reigns and who to . 

He was classed as one of our own when he was putting the money in, less so when he stopped paying the bills.

All looks rosy at Brighton in the present but what happens if circumstances change and they are left with hundreds of millions of pounds of debt.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

I don't know either Bloom or Morris intimately or even well.

Bloom doesn't appear though to the be kind of person to suddenly jack it all in and if the personal costs of subsidising Brighton became too much chuck the club into administration and wash his hands of it.

He appears a far more honourable person than that. But that's just an impression. 

He also appears to be a man who quietly goes about his own business without getting the hackles up of his fellow chairmen or the football league hierarchy only to fall foul of it later on down the line. He appears far too clever to let that happen. 

Aaah if only our previous owners had the same outlook things may have been totally different 

Edited by Tyler Durden

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Bloom doesn't appear though to the be kind of person to suddenly jack it all in and if the personal costs of subsidising Brighton became too much chuck the club into administration and wash his hands of it.

He appears a far more honourable person than that. But that's just an impression. 

He also appears to be a man who quietly goes about his own business without getting the hackles up of his fellow chairmen or the football league hierarchy only to fall foul of it later on down the line. He appears far too clever to let that happen. 

Aaah if only our previous owners had the same outlook things may have been totally different 

Did any of us see it coming with Morris?

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Only one of them has ever bought my wife a drink, as far as I’m aware 🤔