Whi s Britains greatest ever sportsperson?

The insanity suggesting it's Andy Murray, is doing my head in.

Our greatest ever tennis player/ Definitely, in the open era, but he never even dominated his own sport.

There are four grand slam events and he never won two of them.

I don't even like Formula One, but I'd have Lewis Hamilton above him.

Snooker bores the arse off me, but Ronnie Sullivan would get my vote before him,

Daley Thompson, Seb Coe, Steve Ovett and Steve Cram were better in their eras. So was Kelly Holmes and Paula Radcliffe imho.

Nick Faldo won 6 majors in a sport that is MUCH more spread out at the top level.

Then there was Lennox Lewis, Mo Farah, Steve Redgrave, and Adam Peaty, who all dominated.

I'm not sure who it is, but great though Murray was, it ain't him.

It's just the sh*te that gets said when someone retires or dies. And, let's face it, if Murray hadn't won Wimbledon, he wouldn't be talked of in those terms. I was unaware that he'd won the US Open until just now.

Steve Redgrave's five Olympic golds at five Games is hard to match, but it's all subjective.

My equation to ascertain ranking for a 'greatest sportsperson' category would be calculating the balance of physical exertion v skill required. Tennis is a highly skilled, high exertion sport which instantly pushes its athletes above F1 drivers and snooker players for me, neither of which require the same physical intensity. Athletics doesn't often require mental aptitude where decision-making is critical to success, whereas tennis does, as well.

There's something about tennis and all the variables that need to be close to perfect to achieve success that makes it seem harder than a lot of other sports. Add to that the complete dearth of recent British success within the sport, despite the fact its biggest event is held here, and it's clear why the idea of a 'saviour' coming to reclaim British glory within the sport became the fairytale it is. That 'aura' is what's fuelling these claims, but I agree, not as easy category to pick an outright winner in.

Some say Lennox Lewis is the most complete boxer of all time. I'd agree with that. 

I don't know how you'd measure that against other sports. He won Olympic Gold for Canada but has always classed himself as British (and gets a bit annoyed if pressed on it) 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

The one name that doesn’t seem to be mentioned yet is Chris Hoy. Best ever Olympian, certainly better than Redgrave. 

Jason Kenny has one more gold than Chris Hoy (7v6). His wife, Laura Trott, has the most Olympic gold medals of female athletes with 5.

They're certainly Britain's greatest ever husband and wife athletes!

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Chris Froome? In with a shout for Britain's greatest Kenyan sportsman anyway.

Bradley (cough cough I'm astmatic really ) Wiggings?

2 hours ago, Srg said:

The one name that doesn’t seem to be mentioned yet is Chris Hoy. Best ever Olympian, certainly better than Redgrave. 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Jason Kenny has one more gold than Chris Hoy (7v6). His wife, Laura Trott, has the most Olympic gold medals of female athletes with 5.

They're certainly Britain's greatest ever husband and wife athletes!

I'd be suspicious of all of those given what's come out about that era of cycling, and Team GB in general.

Same with Farah.

4 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

My equation to ascertain ranking for a 'greatest sportsperson' category would be calculating the balance of physical exertion v skill required. Tennis is a highly skilled, high exertion sport which instantly pushes its athletes above F1 drivers and snooker players for me, neither of which require the same physical intensity. Athletics doesn't often require mental aptitude where decision-making is critical to success, whereas tennis does, as well.

There's something about tennis and all the variables that need to be close to perfect to achieve success that makes it seem harder than a lot of other sports. Add to that the complete dearth of recent British success within the sport, despite the fact its biggest event is held here, and it's clear why the idea of a 'saviour' coming to reclaim British glory within the sport became the fairytale it is. That 'aura' is what's fuelling these claims, but I agree, not as easy category to pick an outright winner in.

Sorry mate but you know nothing about F1 if you don't think it requires physical intensity - the G-forces they have to withstand (up towards 5G) combined with the heat and absolute concentration to make split-second responses (for several hours) means that they have to be exceptionally fit....I doubt Murray or Djokovic would survive 10 laps flat out driving an F1 car (even if they had the necessary driving ability)

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Agreed.

No way was she not using chemicals,

image.thumb.png.cb7d3095600d2d35caab47d9aa6a1c96.png

A well chosen photo - last time I put a photo of Farah on here it was deleted by the strait-laced mods just because she was mainly wearing a wetsuit.....

36 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'd be suspicious of all of those given what's come out about that era of cycling, and Team GB in general.

Same with Farah.

As far as I'm aware, there's never been a whiff of anything around the GB cycling set up? 

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

As far as I'm aware, there's never been a whiff of anything around the GB cycling set up? 

https://sportingintelligence832.substack.com/p/the-dark-underbelly-of-britains-cycling

And https://www.ukad.org.uk/news/former-british-cycling-and-team-sky-doctor-richard-freeman-receives-ban-sport-anti-doping-rule

Too many people involved in both setups (Brailsford being the main one) for it not to arouse suspicion IMO.

And this for Team GB in general - clearly pushing things right to the very limit: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8513525/British-2012-Olympians-guinea-pigs-Special-Forces-wonder-drug.html

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

12 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

https://sportingintelligence832.substack.com/p/the-dark-underbelly-of-britains-cycling

Too many people involved in both setups (Brailsford being the main one) for it not to arouse suspicion IMO.

And this for Team GB in general - clearly pushing things right to the very limit: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8513525/British-2012-Olympians-guinea-pigs-Special-Forces-wonder-drug.html

Are innuendo and coincidences sufficient reason to slander two of Britain's greatest Olympians?

What you've posted is a Daily Mail article about a once experimental dietary supplement that is now legal and widely used, and a nudge-nudge wink-wink article that (for a small fee) alleges some dirt relating to a prominent figure at Team Sky and GB Cycling.

Take a good look at the Kennys' careers and tell me where there is any suggestion of personal illegal doping. I haven't found anything - not even accusations or snide comments by any of their opponents. Until then, I think they deserve all the plaudits they've received over the years.