Rate The Last Film You Saw

WorksopRam

Was at the premiere of "Face of an Angel" last night starring new celeb Derby fan Cara Delevingne (and Kate Beckinsale). Of the two, only Cara was in attendance (sadly). And I didn't get to compliment her on the choice of scarf for London Fashion Week. A movie inspired by real events and not something I'd normally have bothered with, but I thought it was a pretty thoughtful take. It's only a suspicion, but I reckon you will get the most out of it if you know Dante's Inferno (which I don't!).

With it being the London Film Festival that's my fourth premier of the last week or so. It's always more interesting when you hear from the directors and actors about their films, but even so I'd recommend:

• Monsters: Dark Continent (in the same world as Gareth Edwards' Monsters but really all about the Middle East conflict)
  • The Immortalists (a documentary about the people trying to cure and reverse aging)

I'd more cautiously recommend Camp X-Ray as it's important people don't forget Guantanemo and full marks to Kristen Stewart for taking the role, but I hated the ending and the plot had a few too many holes. Very interested how it will play in the States.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noah.

OK film if you can ignore the dodgy rock monsters and annoying requisite errant son who should have been left to die, quite frankly. 6/10

Oh, and I still hate Russell Crowe though. Just can't take to him in anything he does.

Noah.

OK film if you can ignore the dodgy rock monsters and annoying requisite errant son who should have been left to die, quite frankly. 6/10

Oh, and I still hate Russell Crowe though. Just can't take to him in anything he does.

You're generous with 6. Or maybe this same Crowe-effect has stronger influence to me.

You're generous with 6. Or maybe this same Crowe-effect has stronger influence to me.

I think I was being generous because I admire the film on one level as it took a biblical story and made it relevant & it could so easily have been a total stinker (maybe many thought it was). I also like some of the clever reasoning behind how certain things could have happened.

Russell Crowe always just comes across as an arrogant sausage to me in everything.

Gone Girl 8.775/10 - really rips along and I never guessed the ending....always a good sign!

The book was really clever; anyone who has done both I would be pleased to have feedback as I might buy a tape for my Betamax when it comes out.

Just watched 'Walking with Dinosaurs' on Sky Premier , enjoyed it

7/10

Same, but not sure what I thought. Was expecting it to be like the excellent TV series, but was a bit too childish for a Friday evening, especially as my kids were both in bed asleep!

Judge - Robert Downey Jr plays a lawyer highly skilled at representing guilty clients and having them found not guilty.  Robert Duvall plays his his father; a small town Judge who believe in the honesty of the law and is disappointed with the path his sons career has taken.  Two very strong performances from RDJr and RD, well worth a watch. 8/10

The Purge: Anarchy - I havn't seen the first Purge film but that didn't really matter with regards to storyline for the sequel. All illegal crimes are legal overnight for a 12 hour period once a year as way of controlling the growing population size. It was a fairly decent slasher/gore film.  I liked the concept; although, the acting and the script are mediocre at best, you aren't really watching this film for either of those virtues. 7/10

Neighbours - Seth Rogan and Zac Efron live next door to each other; SR with wife and child, ZE with his fraternity brothers.  Two opposing lifestyles lead to tension and hilarity. Not Rogans funniest film but it definitely has it's moments.  7/10

Archived