Rate The Last Film You Saw

WorksopRam

Watched 71 today, have to give it 0/10 just for fact he was from Derby and when asked why we didn't get on with nottingham he said he didn't know.....

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Damned United - 4/10

The marks it does get are entirely attributed to the excellent performance by Michael Sheen, decent performance by Timothy Spall and the great work done by the set designers in recreating parts of the old Baseball Ground and Elland Road.

As for the rest of the film, I found it lacked substance. I'm unsure why they decided to focus a biopic on a tiny section of Clough and Taylor's careers. Because they take such a brief snapshot, there's not much to work with, so much of it is outright fabrication. It is outrageous to suggest that Dave Mackay went behind Clough and Taylor's back to get the Derby job and I'm glad he sued the film makers. I also thought the Leeds players were badly misrepresented. Don't get me wrong, I have a very low opinion of that team (particularly Bremner), but they were turned into almost comical moustache twirling villains.

In short there was no point in this film being made. You can get a better and more enjoyable experience by watching the old interviews where Clough and Revie tore strips off each other and all the other memorable footage and anecdotes Brian gave us down the years. It's not as if he was shy with his opinions, there's so much footage available on youtube that paints a more truthful, funny and interesting picture of Clough than this guff.

Also, I'm aware of the Clough family's opposition to this film, so I stole it instead of giving any money to the makers.

Chef - Jon Favreau directs and stars as Chef Carl Casper, a well known Chef at a fine dining restaurant in LA who values his creative integrity when it comes to cooking.  Following a bad review (a result of the restaurant owners insistence on cooking a menu the Chef is unhappy with) his life goes into turmoil and leads to him buying a food truck, along with his friend and his son, to try and rediscover his passion for quality cooking.  The story is entertaining, the soundtrack is fantastic and the amount of food on display throughout the film is bound to make you peckish. 7/10

Weekender

7/10

Derbys own Jack O Connell in this.

Decent watch, marks are for the music really. Story is run of the mill usual stuff. Enjoyed it though

Archived