Jacob Widell Zetterstrom - SIGNED, FINALLY - 3yr deal

Nuwtfly

If we are ultimately spending £1.5mil on a goalkeeper, then I’d like to think we have the budget to also spend on a striker.

When did we last spend this much on a goalkeeper? It’s generally a position where we could pick up a decent enough option for not too much. To spend £1.5mil, I’d expect JWZ to be one of the better keepers at this level.

A striker who fits the team will be more important than a real top-level goalkeeper, so I don’t think we’d blow all our budget on that one position.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If we are ultimately spending £1.5mil on a goalkeeper, then I’d like to think we have the budget to also spend on a striker.

When did we last spend this much on a goalkeeper? It’s generally a position where we could pick up a decent enough option for not too much. To spend £1.5mil, I’d expect JWZ to be one of the better keepers at this level.

A striker who fits the team will be more important than a real top-level goalkeeper, so I don’t think we’d blow all our budget on that one position.

Kellyman and Delap payments coming in handy!

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Seems an odd one , yes he looks quite exciting and 1.5m isn't much for a good keeper, but 1.5m for a keeper in the championship is massive and can't imagine us having 1 mil to spend on a striker on top of that? Along with the 10 and left back and central defender etc he mentioned?

9 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Seems an odd one , yes he looks quite exciting and 1.5m isn't much for a good keeper, but 1.5m for a keeper in the championship is massive and can't imagine us having 1 mil to spend on a striker on top of that? Along with the 10 and left back and central defender etc he mentioned?

It’s probably 1.5m in total. Not as an upfront fee.

I’d imagine there’s lots of performance based bonuses in the contract that could take it to 1.5m eventually. 

26 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It depends. 

Signing a keeper for £1.5m guarenteed on £5k wages is £2.5m over 4 years.
Alternatively, we could have picked up someone for free on £12k per week, and cost the same over 4 years.

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

It’s probably 1.5m in total. Not as an upfront fee.

I’d imagine there’s lots of performance based bonuses in the contract that could take it to 1.5m eventually. 

We don't know how accurate the article is however,  it does state that 22 million kroner is the basic sum.

"22 million kroner in basic sum, and another around 5-6 million kroner in bonuses is waiting in the short term."

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

Surprised by the sum - but as others have said, if we’re spending this on a keeper then surely Clowes is happy to drop £1m-£2m on a striker too. 

If this keeper is as good as he seems, and we get him on a 4 year deal, we might be getting a big sum for him from a lower Prem team in a couple of years. It’s a gamble but seems like a worthwhile one. 

Edited by RamsFan10

The thing is £1.5 million is getting us, by all accounts, a really good goalkeeper. With huge potential, only 26 and capped by his country.

Considering £10 million now would buy you Will Osula. I am really not sure if we will spend £1.5-£2 million on a striker as it might not get us very much.

Unless we can unearth a gem from abroad. But they would be unproven, a risk and no guarantee they would score goals.

I would have a look at that Alexander Lind. But like I said, a risk.

31 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Surprised by the sum - but as others have said, if we’re spending this on a keeper then surely Clowes is happy to drop £1m-£2m on a striker too. 

If this keeper is as good as he seems, and we get him on a 4 year deal, we might be getting a big sum for him from a lower Prem team in a couple of years. It’s a gamble but seems like a worthwhile one. 

We should be looking to be a lower prem team in a couple of years so why would we sell him? 😊

10 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The thing is £1.5 million is getting us, by all accounts, a really good goalkeeper. With huge potential, only 26 and capped by his country.

Considering £10 million now would buy you Will Osula. I am really not sure if we will spend £1.5-£2 million on a striker as it might not get us very much.

Unless we can unearth a gem from abroad. But they would be unproven, a risk and no guarantee they would score goals.

I would have a look at that Alexander Lind. But like I said, a risk.

Agreed - I can see us selling this guy end of this season (as he won't want to play in League One) for £5 Million plus.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It depends. 

Signing a keeper for £1.5m guarenteed on £5k wages is £2.5m over 4 years.
Alternatively, we could have picked up someone for free on £12k per week, and cost the same over 4 years.

Exactly this.  And compare this to someone like Iverson who we were heavily linked with, you’ve got a similar initial outlay but then probably more than double, maybe even triple, the wage costs.  It’s about balancing the overall cost within the budget and FFP.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

...Signing a keeper for £1.5m guaranteed on £5k wages is £2.5m over 4 years.

Don't you get a better player when you pay higher wages? 😄😉 

6 hours ago, jono said:

Thanks to a great Aussie Greek barman a long time ago I now know the following (spellings incorrect)

Nehro is water

Horeattiki is a Greek salad 

Malaka is a 100% Cockwomble (or worse) 

I concur, Malaka is a bit worse than cockwomble.