Racist Argentina Celebration Video

JfR

If anyone's kept an eye on the Copa America, Argentina won it the other day. In the midst of the celebrations, Enzo Fernandez thought it would be a good idea to film some of the Argentina players singing a song insulting the France national team, including lines about how "They play in France, but they're all from Angola" and "They are 'cometravas' (slang term for a person who has sex with transgender people)".

Naturally, this hasn't gone down well, not least with Enzo's 7 black French Chelsea teammates.

When you come up with something as witty as that I think you absolutely should film it and share it with all your contacts

That's really really funny. The sleeping with trans people is such a clever line yet people say footballers are stupid. 

One particularly angry french player is Kurt Zouma who can't believe Enzo would be so stupid to film himself acting in such a vile way. 

Equality is very important to football organisations. They've been pretty clear on that. Don't be surprised if the punishment for this is extremely harsh. We could be talking potential suspension from playing for Chelsea for several hours. 

On a similar theme, the Gibraltar FA have lodged a complaint with UEFA over social media posts showing the Spain squad singing a song saying "Gibraltar is Spanish" with supportive comments by Morata and Rodri being "liked" by Spanish Nationalist politicians. Nothing particularly surprising there, but I always wonder why, when Spain mentions Gibraltar, Morocco doesn't kick up more of a fuss about Ceuta and Melila, which were ceded to Spain by France in an even more recent treaty than the one in which Spain ceded Gibraltar to the British. Seems like double-standards somewhat.

1 hour ago, Alph said:

When you come up with something as witty as that I think you absolutely should film it and share it with all your contacts

That's really really funny. The sleeping with trans people is such a clever line yet people say footballers are stupid. 

One particularly angry french player is Kurt Zouma who can't believe Enzo would be so stupid to film himself acting in such a vile way

Equality is very important to football organisations. They've been pretty clear on that. Don't be surprised if the punishment for this is extremely harsh. We could be talking potential suspension from playing for Chelsea for several hours. 

Ah, the lover of cats

FIFA say they “strongly condemn any form of discrimination by anyone including players fans and officials”.

It will be interesting to see if any punishment they dish out is consistent with this statement. I somehow doubt it. Same with Chelsea. Given how much such players earn, I can’t imagine any sort of fine is likely to hurt them much. 

13 hours ago, Crewton said:

On a similar theme, the Gibraltar FA have lodged a complaint with UEFA over social media posts showing the Spain squad singing a song saying "Gibraltar is Spanish" with supportive comments by Morata and Rodri being "liked" by Spanish Nationalist politicians. Nothing particularly surprising there, but I always wonder why, when Spain mentions Gibraltar, Morocco doesn't kick up more of a fuss about Ceuta and Melila, which were ceded to Spain by France in an even more recent treaty than the one in which Spain ceded Gibraltar to the British. Seems like double-standards somewhat.

And yet:

spacer.png

Spanish for 200 years. British or a British protectorate for well over 300 years. Sing about that pr1cks 😎

On 16/07/2024 at 15:49, JfR said:

Naturally, this hasn't gone down well, not least with Enzo's 7 black French Chelsea teammates.

Unrelated but this made me check their squad on Wikipedia and... wow they have a lot of players

9 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

And yet:

spacer.png

Spanish for 200 years. British or a British protectorate for well over 300 years. Sing about that pr1cks 😎

I always take great delight in telling friends when they say that Gibraltar is Spanish that "it's British, but plenty Spanish still live there!"

IMG_0948.jpeg

On 16/07/2024 at 22:49, JfR said:

If anyone's kept an eye on the Copa America, Argentina won it the other day. In the midst of the celebrations, Enzo Fernandez thought it would be a good idea to film some of the Argentina players singing a song insulting the France national team, including lines about how "They play in France, but they're all from Angola" and "They are 'cometravas' (slang term for a person who has sex with transgender people)".

Even stranger is the fact that none of the French team come from Angola (a former Portuguese colony)

14 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I always take great delight in telling friends when they say that Gibraltar is Spanish that "it's British, but plenty Spanish still live there!"

We first went out in 2003, not too long after the sovereignty referendum. Given how emphatic the result of that vote was I was surprised by the number of Spanish folks living there. Lovely people though. Much like the Argentines and the Falklands, if politicians would drop the rhetoric and just f*** off back under their respective rocks then the ordinary people would likely get along just fine.

49 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

We first went out in 2003, not too long after the sovereignty referendum. Given how emphatic the result of that vote was I was surprised by the number of Spanish folks living there. Lovely people though. Much like the Argentines and the Falklands, if politicians would drop the rhetoric and just f*** off back under their respective rocks then the ordinary people would likely get along just fine.

As I said, it's my stock comeback to friends. I've been living over here for 27 years. My wife, and even my daughter, are Spanish. My (as in regular meet up) friends are all Spanish. As in all walks of life there are some people you wouldn't give the time of day to but generally they are very friendly, especially when they beat us in cup finals. I'd love just once for an English team to come out victorious 😂

On 16/07/2024 at 22:49, JfR said:

They all know all the words, it's obviously a popular song. 

Argentina's MAF President has waded into the controversy by sacking the under-secretary of sport for suggesting that Messi should apologise on behalf of the team. Meanwhile, the vice-president, Victoria Villarruel, also hit back at the country’s critics on social media saying :

No country with a colonial history is going to put us down for a song sung on a field nor for speaking a truth that nobody wants to admit,” she wrote. “Enough of pretending to be offended, hypocrites. Enzo I am with you, Messi thanks for everything! Argentines always keep your heads high! Long live Argentina!”

Villarruel said Argentina’s history had been forged by people of all races: “We never forced our way of life on anyone, nor will we tolerate that someone tries to do the same to us.”

Whereas, Wikipedia tells me (and other sources confirm) that :-

The Tehuelche people, also called the Aónikenk, are an Indigenous people from eastern Patagonia in South America. In the 18th and 19th centuries the Tehuelche were influenced by Mapuche people, and many adopted a horseriding lifestyle. Once a nomadic people, the lands of the Tehuelche were colonized in the 19th century by Argentina and Chile, gradually disrupting their traditional economies. The establishment of large sheep farming estates in Patagonia was particularly detrimental to the Tehuelche.[ Contact with the colonisers also brought in infectious diseases ushering deadly epidemics among Tehuelche tribes.

I think former Chelsea and Newcastle striker Demba Ba, commenting on X, summed it up nicely:-

Argentina, land of asylum for former Nazis on the run. From 1945, Juan Perón hosted war criminals. And it surprises you …

Could somebody wake up FIFA and get them to sort this out?

• 5 weeks later...