Stefan Teitur Thordarsson - signed for Preston

47 minutes ago, Sean said:

it's great to be linked to this kind of player again (potential foreign gems e.g. Thordarson, Goudmijn, Kobacki)

I agree with this. For all the jokes that are made about previous foreign flops such as Albentosa, Camara & Joswiak they are pretty easy to offload to another foreign club if they prove unsuccessful here compared to wasters like Butterfield & Anya.

8 hours ago, MaltRam said:

And what sells Derby over QPR? Facilities and crowd? QPR give London location, and possibly bigger wages on offer, plus established in the league.

Depends what he's after, what style of play and role he's looking at, and if he has connections at the club or locally, I suppose.

Not easy. Concern is fine, but there's a lot of time yet.

Legend has it that Igor chose Derby after Jim Smith showed him some of the Peaks

19 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I agree with this. For all the jokes that are made about previous foreign flops such as Albentosa, Camara & Joswiak they are pretty easy to offload to another foreign club if they prove unsuccessful here compared to wasters like Butterfield & Anya.

But with the caveat that the reason they were so hard to shift was we paid over the odds, giving huge long contracts on massive wages, so they had no reason to leave and no one was willing to come close to matching them... which is what presumably we are trying to avoid now.

Looks like QPR are also missing out.

A real transfer drama unfolds over Stefan Teitur Thordarson, who chooses Preston ahead of Derby and QPR, who have all been very keen to sign the Icelandic midfielder. He is on his way to England today. No signature yet.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

But with the caveat that the reason they were so hard to shift was we paid over the odds, giving huge long contracts on massive wages, so they had no reason to leave and no one was willing to come close to matching them... which is what presumably we are trying to avoid now.

Yeah to a certain extent, though we "paid" (or agreed to pay 😂) a significant fee for Joswiak (~£3m) but somehow got a decent fee in return. We also overpaid for Camara at £700k or so as he was utter gash. Albentosa we made a profit on as he had a low buy out clause iirc.

Edited by Carnero

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Looks like QPR are also missing out.

A real transfer drama unfolds over Stefan Teitur Thordarson, who chooses Preston ahead of Derby and QPR, who have all been very keen to sign the Icelandic midfielder. He is on his way to England today. No signature yet.

Clearly the bright lights of London can't hold a candle to... erm... Preston.

34 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Stadium, crowds, facilities...

I think our manager will be the main reason, I’m going to enjoy his style of football whilst I can, if he carries on next season as he finished the last we will have a good season and he will get picked up by a lower mid table PL side.

As for facilities, yes our ground is small but we have recently opened one of the best training grounds in the country which was funded by supporters buying bonds.

1 minute ago, inter politics said:

It is the NW club then. I assume they are offering bigger wages, using some of what they were offering to Browne 

They are also on the fringes of the play offs most seasons. To a foreign player we are likely considered as just a newly promoted club at the moment, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

So he's coming here. We're the team that's bid.

Then he's having a medical at QPR. All done he's going there.

Then he's going to Preston.

Almost like they don't know what's going on.

Also if you have a choice of Derby, QPR and Preston then you aren't choosing Preston.

Why not? They’re currently the best team of the three.

3 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

So he's coming here. We're the team that's bid.

Then he's having a medical at QPR. All done he's going there.

Then he's going to Preston.

Almost like they don't know what's going on.

Also if you have a choice of Derby, QPR and Preston then you aren't choosing Preston.

Maybe the journalist is just making it sound more dramatic than it actually is/was

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Why not? They’re currently the best team of the three.

Are they? Says who?

The league hasn't started yet mate. So them finishing 10th last season means nothing now.

I’m really surprised he’s picked Preston over QPR, regardless of ourselves. Preston have one of the more toxic situations in the EFL - the fans loathe the manager and the ownership is asleep at the wheel. We will never know the full story, of course, but if this turns out to be true then I’d consider him badly advised.