Academy Thread 2024/2025

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Great news. I think Niall will play for our first team in the not too distant future. Not this season maybe but maybe next  

Yep, agree he's a real prospect. The player that most caught my eye when he stepped up to the 21s last season.

Get him in the squad this season and use him in the odd game to find his feet. Was impressed with him last season. 

16 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Get him in the squad this season and use him in the odd game to find his feet. Was impressed with him last season. 

The 9 subs makes his match day inclusion more likely, for sure. 

He's an exciting talent for sure. 30 U18 apps before he was 17 with almost half of those when he was just 15. 15 goal contributions in 17 U18 games last season. He also had taste of U21  football last season (he was still only 16!) and had 2 goals in 306 mins. 

He still needs to find his position, as he seems to be more effective on the left wing, but I think his best position will be in the middle (where we have a lot of competition). His height has been a big advantage in the younger age groups, so we need to make sure he's physcially challenged to ensure his weaknesses are refined.

On 31/07/2024 at 11:59, Ghost of Clough said:

He's an exciting talent for sure. 30 U18 apps before he was 17 with almost half of those when he was just 15. 15 goal contributions in 17 U18 games last season. He also had taste of U21  football last season (he was still only 16!) and had 2 goals in 306 mins. 

He still needs to find his position, as he seems to be more effective on the left wing, but I think his best position will be in the middle (where we have a lot of competition). His height has been a big advantage in the younger age groups, so we need to make sure he's physcially challenged to ensure his weaknesses are refined.

I used to enjoy the academy games when they were on RamsTV - hopefully we can sort that again. 

I’m intrigued with Cruz Allen. He seems to have the most buzz and the bits I’ve seen, he looks like a talent. 

7 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Josh Shattell (GK), Dan Cox (D), Jack Perry (D), Billy Gough (D), Harry Hawkins (MF), Jayden Davidson (MF), Lennon Wheeldon (F).

This might be a silly question but is this normal? I mean in terms of how many there are here.

Can we read into this that there's high hopes for all of these? Or are all of our U21s on pro contracts?

4 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

This might be a silly question but is this normal? I mean in terms of how many there are here.

Can we read into this that there's high hopes for all of these? Or are all of our U21s on pro contracts?

The numbers are not unusual, I don't think and I don't believe all U21s are contracted, but @Eoghan1884 and @Ghost of Clough will likely offer a more definitive view.

39 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

32 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

The numbers are not unusual, I don't think and I don't believe all U21s are contracted, but @Eoghan1884 and @Ghost of Clough will likely offer a more definitive view.

The short answer is yes, but for us recently it’s been slightly different as we’re rebuilding the academy after admin. Last year we signed Riley Moloney, Dajaune Brown on pro deals aswell as getting in a lot of new signings for the 21’s most notably Tony Weston and Bartley. We also have a very talented u18 group coming through so want to ensure we keep as much of them as possible. So it is more than we’re use to in recent times and it’s actually a sign of us getting back to normal on the academy. The main reason it does look so different is we’re signing less external players for the 21s and promoting more internally.