Mendez Laing Arrested

2 minutes ago, JfR said:

Interesting that they're only saying he's been charged with theft of the phone and not assault

Yep _ i spotted that too. In fact if you look at the Ultima Hora website report and translate to english, although that does mention the assault it does also simply say

The Guardia Civil has arrested a former English Premier League footballer for stealing a young woman's mobile phone after accusing her of recording him in a Magaluf cocktail bar.

It was in the early hours of  June 28th/29th and the fact that he was freed on bail of 300 euros suggests that the crime is not being considered as anything major

35 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

A shame to see this sort of headline pop up, NML really seems to have matured in the last few seasons so you'd hope he was past this sort of thing.

Let's see what information follows this. Hopefully it's some typical tabloid sensationalism but it's not like NML hasn't got form for poor behavior either in his career.

"Past this sort of thing"? Has he punched women in the face before?

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

The fact that both the Scum and the Mail have padded out three quarters of the article with stuff about his cocaine bans tells you about all you need to know about their journalistic standards. Not relevant in the least to this story, but put in there to push the "disgraced footballer" angle that sells papers

Reading between the lines...

I see what you did there!  👀

What's true and what isn't, we'll probably never know. A disappointing headline to wake up to nonetheless, I had hoped that these were in the past. Imagine he'll be getting abused by other clubs fans now. 

26 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yep _ i spotted that too. In fact if you look at the Ultima Hora website report and translate to english, although that does mention the assault it does also simply say

It was in the early hours of  June 28th/29th and the fact that he was freed on bail of 300 euros suggests that the crime is not being considered as anything major

I think its about the same amount of fine as the rugby player Billy Vunipola incident earlier this year that was also in Majorca and he got tasered twice.

image.thumb.png.4e990571c95244eb952c76eac1c5695e.png

39 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You know exactly what I mean. Headline grabbing behaviour.

It doesn't take much to grab a headline in the Sun or the Mail - quite often, just existing is enough for them.

Posted (edited)

He said she said as far as I'm concerned at the moment. Happens all the times around there, Spanish police are notorious for cracking down on any trouble with their zero tolerance policy on fighting in clubs. 

It's not as if he's gone out his way to deliberately beat up a woman. Sounds like him and his wife were provoked. Probably could have handled it better but you don't know what was said.

Edited by SSD

1 hour ago, eddielewis said:

I'm interested in what she was photographing that angered them so much. Could have it been incriminating so that it caused them to try to apprehend her. 

I'm guessing they just didn't like being photographed and filmed without their consent. If there was more to it, doubtless it will be in the press fairly soon when the alleged victim sells her story to the Sun. 

I don’t think we can comment about the veracity or otherwise of the allegations.

We weren’t there.

I hope, like every Derby fan should, that it isn’t true because a man punching a woman isn’t acceptable under any circumstances.

However, let’s see how the truth pans out before we judge either party, or indeed any newspaper article.