Jerry Yates - signed on a season-long loan

Heisenberg

22 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Again why would a team that finished a poor season want rid of him so it’s likely he didn’t meet their current managers expectations and wants to clear his wages of the payroll to bring in someone considered better for their championship team. For me his Blackpool record in the championship is what counts and that is decent and no long term gamble on our part in terms of contract length.

I would hope not as we have 9 substitutes next season and if we can’t find a place for our brightest young forward to score for us I would be very disappointed. 

It is a move that no longer makes sense for Swansea because they’ve changed manager and they want to free up some wages (and a small loan fee) to bring a striker in more suited to what their new gaffer wants to do. They know they’re unlikely to recoup the fee they paid for him unless he hits form so they’re putting him in the shop window by sending him to us for the season. It actually makes a lot of sense. Far too sensible. 

What is the point of Brown being our 9th sub getting 3 minutes if we’re being battered or winning heavily (probably unlikely in our first season back up) when he could be tearing it up lower down the pyramid getting regular minutes in men’s football at a higher level than Gateshead to continue his development? I know it’d be nice for him to breakthrough here but ultimately he is very very young still and has time on his side. 

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

It is a move that no longer makes sense for Swansea because they’ve changed manager and they want to free up some wages (and a small loan fee) to bring a striker in more suited to what their new gaffer wants to do. They know they’re unlikely to recoup the fee they paid for him unless he hits form so they’re putting him in the shop window by sending him to us for the season. It actually makes a lot of sense. Far too sensible. 

What is the point of Brown being our 9th sub getting 3 minutes if we’re being battered or winning heavily (probably unlikely in our first season back up) when he could be tearing it up lower down the pyramid getting regular minutes in men’s football at a higher level than Gateshead to continue his development? I know it’d be nice for him to breakthrough here but ultimately he is very very young still and has time on his side. 

I’d be really tempted to use the Kellyman money plus Brown on loan to try and sign Langstaff 

Just now, simmoram1995 said:

I’d be really tempted to use the Kellyman money plus Brown on loan to try and sign Langstaff 

My mate who’s a scout says that he doesn’t think Longstaff would cut it above league 1. 

I’d like to see any transfer fees spent aimed at players with high ceilings from where they currently are. 

19 hours ago, superfit said:

Just out of interest in what way has Warne changed as a manager since then? 

My impression:

He started out as a reluctant manager, he wasn't someone who had been developing an interest in, say, tactics or game management; and he was in charge of a limited team with limited resources. He learned how to use what he knew to get results: hard running percentage football.

6 years on he's learned a great deal, as you'd expect. He's managed different teams in different circumstances. He still likes percentage football but he's learnt a lot about what works and what doesn't and is tactically adaptable.

1 hour ago, Simmoram2024Ramsrontheup said:

Langstaff is a 27 year old who has never scored above League Two, with all due respect. He’s a huge gamble, with Notts County wanting to be comparatively very well compensated. He may make the step up and score goals, but having watched him - I feel he lacks the quickness and technical ability and would be swallowed up by better defenders. We saw first hand what past-it, championship strikers can still do in League One. League Two is a whole other step down, albeit he made the step up from non-league admirably. 

I feel with strikers, if you’re signing one off a good season then you’re highly like to overpay. You need to find value, i.e a striker with 74 goal involvements, three club top goalscorer and two player of the year awards in four years and pay absolutely nothing for him. 

A striker with quickness and technical ability always has a chance to do well.

Edited by Ambitious

14 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

Looks like Wednesday are about to sign Jamal Lowe on a free (following playing for Swansea too). I wonder how he compares to Jerry Yates.

Scored the same amount of goals last year. Lowe is more of a winger than Yates is, although Yates wasn’t always used through the middle. 

22 minutes ago, Srg said:

Scored the same amount of goals last year. Lowe is more of a winger than Yates is, although Yates wasn’t always used through the middle. 

So I suppose it would be fairer to compare Jackon to Lowe then? In terms on where they play. They are of a similar age too.

29 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

So I suppose it would be fairer to compare Jackon to Lowe then? In terms on where they play. They are of a similar age too.

I would probably say so, yeah. Although, I think Lowe would demand higher wages for sure.