People who are universally loved

28 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

That’s just your suspicious mind.

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Don’t be cruel, you Can’t help falling in love.

Can we have a little less conversation between you two please!

10 hours ago, Crewton said:

Has some blots on his copybook - treatment of Sondra Locke rings a bell. Serial adulterer, now a registered libertarian. Hard to imagine that someone isn't a fan.

I thought he was joking!

From what I've read, he's not especially known as a good guy. Certainly not universally loved. Was a Trump supporter in 2016 and only pulled his support after the full 4 year term.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Few people know about Elvis’s love of the railways which inspired Love me tender.

He was also a big supporter of Trappist Monks.

Edit: Damn it, I shouldn't have been working backwards. @Day did it.

Edited by Bob The Badger

10 hours ago, Crewton said:

Mandela's a difficult one. There's no evidence he ordered or took part in any attacks that harmed people, and he called a halt to the armed struggle pretty quickly to concentrate on peaceful protest. Eventually, he earned the respect of many who once hated him, except perhaps the real white supremacists - but does their opinion matter?

In general, if someone is hated only by bad people, should that be taken out of the assessment?

I suppose I based it on that I'd never heard anybody who had met them say anything other than good stuff. And all of the ones I mentioned, there is a lot of kind stuff under the radar that only gets out when the recipient shares it.

I knew a guy who was a lighting engineer on a bunch of Hollywood movies. He said Robbins always ate with the crew, ever stayed in his trailer as many do and would spend all his downtime talking to the crew and making everybody laugh. I also had a mate meet him in SF (my mate is a local) and he stopped to talk with him for 20 minutes.

Thinking about it, Keanu Reeves is another one who just seems to be a lovely, caring person by all accounts. I think a lack of ego is what I'm getting at.

18 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Paul McCartney

Heard quite a few musicians and producers interviews, who have worked with him during the 70s and 80s say he was difficult to work with. Arrogant, spikey, not receptive to constructive criticisms. 

Linda McCartney on the other hand, they all went out of their way to say how wonderful she was.

I would venture to speculate that no one is universally loved, everyone has their faults, even Jesus isn't appreciated by all.

4 musicians come to mind who are to the best of my knowledge widely respected.

Bob Marley - he was a serial adulterer, but even his Xes spoke well of him (on camera)

Ringo Starr - some overbearing fans complained that he was rude to them and ignoramuses call him a poor drummer.

Cat Stevens, until he became a Muslim?

John Lennon, hugely respected for his music and peace activism, yet had horrible personal faults.