Transfer rumours

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Jake Rooney picked up a season-long injury and we were a League 1 team that couldn't afford a bottomless squad.

TBF to Kane Wilson, I think his defending improved considerably over the course of the season and he could have been employed as RB in a back 4 if only both of our LBs weren't also injured when Nyambe got injured.

We also had to make do without Fozzy for a chunk of the season and Elder for nearly all of it, all of which were clearly Warne's fault.

I think I'm doing it right... 👽

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wilson was full back all season when he finished in the league 2 TOTY wasn’t he? 

Yup. Wilson had never played winger until Warne played him there a few times this season.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pretty sure they played with wing backs

Yes, they did. Previously at Tranmere, he played more as a full-back than wing-back though, so he wasn't unfamiliar with the position.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Rooney's not a fullback, neither is Wilson. They're as much fullbacks as Sibley.

Rooney was impressive at RB. Many on this very forum were keen for him to be our regular RB last season until he got injured.

Wilson played RB in a back 4 at least a dozen times last season and his defending improved greatly over the course of the season. At Exeter away, he was superb. So, not his strongest position perhaps, but he's perfectly capable of playing there, and playing well.

On 30/05/2024 at 12:26, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Barnes was the best youngster we've had in my opinion whilst I've been watching .  Bar injuries and a big balls attitude too early he'd have played at the highest level and we'd have got a fair few more points in 2007/08.  

Agree. Massive raw talent - so disappointing to see it squandered 

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Agree. Massive raw talent - so disappointing to see it squandered 

Butchered by a Stoke defender in and off the ball and off the pitch "tackle" (using the term extremely loosely)

26 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Butchered by a Stoke defender in and off the ball and off the pitch "tackle" (using the term extremely loosely)

Was that how it happened with Giles Barnes? I didn't recall. But I do remember it was a Stoke player targeting Charlie George and dislocating his shoulder that cost us a league and cup double and, ultimately Dave Mackay his job. I've generally been ambivalent about Stoke, but I must remember not to be. 

Agree Barnes is the best out of the academy I remember. Ultimately goals are what matter, what change games and what command huge sums. So Sibley coming through was second to Barnes. Both looked England material. Borderline with Hughes because, for all his talent he didn't impact games enough. And then he got injured too... 

21 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Why anyone would choose a pre season 'friendly' with Stoke during the Pulis years I don't know.  

Can't have been the money as, IIRC, they didn't bring many any road up.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Was that how it happened with Giles Barnes? I didn't recall. But I do remember it was a Stoke player targeting Charlie George and dislocating his shoulder that cost us a league and cup double and, ultimately Dave Mackay his job. I've generally been ambivalent about Stoke, but I must remember not to be. 

Agree Barnes is the best out of the academy I remember. Ultimately goals are what matter, what change games and what command huge sums. So Sibley coming through was second to Barnes. Both looked England material. Borderline with Hughes because, for all his talent he didn't impact games enough. And then he got injured too... 

Missed about 5 months start of premier league season.  Came back for a few games, then got injured again.  I seem to recall him not playing again till Man Utd in the league cup semi where he got 2 goals.  Then he got his knee blitzed and didn't play the following season season and wound up on loan at Fulham for the next season.  Think he wound up at West Brom for a few months, then America.

Could have something wrong there, it was a while ago.  In a nutshell, we had 6 good months from him then very little for two and half years years.  When he did get fit, he preferred to sit on Fulham's bench for 6 months. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I do remember it was a Stoke player targeting Charlie George and dislocating his shoulder that cost us a league and cup double

From what i can recall, Charlie went up for a header with Stoke captain Alan Bloor and fell awkwardly on what was a very hard pitch (it was a freezing cold night). I don't remember anything controversial about the challenge, just the usual robust aerial challenge that was common in those days. Others may remember more detail than me though. Stoke were actually more of a footballing side in those days, with the likes of Alan Hudson, Jimmy Greenhoff and Geoff Salmons playing for them. Pulis' team were a different beast altogether.

46 minutes ago, Crewton said:

From what i can recall, Charlie went up for a header with Stoke captain Alan Bloor and fell awkwardly on what was a very hard pitch (it was a freezing cold night). I don't remember anything controversial about the challenge, just the usual robust aerial challenge that was common in those days. Others may remember more detail than me though. Stoke were actually more of a footballing side in those days, with the likes of Alan Hudson, Jimmy Greenhoff and Geoff Salmons playing for them. Pulis' team were a different beast altogether.

Yes, I think he dislocated his shoulder. Stoke weren't a dirty side in those days, just a normal robust 70's outfit. They were a pretty good team actually, not far short of us. Denis Smith was a tough player. I always fancied Mike Pejic as a player and Alan Hudson would have got into our side no doubt about it, brilliant player 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I remember Bruce Rioch booting every Stoke player near him after , making sure he got the right one back !