UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

Just now, eddielewis said:

This is why I am scratching my head at who would replace him that is realistic. We need a manager that can cope with all the media pressure and can make tough decisions but someone who has a clear specific style of play that will fit the majority of the youngish players. I worry that with the bookies favourites Potter does he have either? he crumbled at Chelsea. Would Howe really leave Newcastle? Pochettino is too defensive.

I can only see Lee Carsley just on the basis that he's worked with all the young, next generation of players and won the U21 Euros but that's all you can hang your hat on for him.

I don’t think Potter would have enough time to get his message across to the players either.

I know he’s just gone to one of the Turkish clubs, but Mourinho for a tournament maybe? But I think you’d only get one out of him before it turned toxic.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don’t think Potter would have enough time to get his message across to the players either.

I know he’s just gone to one of the Turkish clubs, but Mourinho for a tournament maybe? But I think you’d only get one out of him before it turned toxic.

I think it would turn toxic before the tournament started Capello style. 

Gary O'Neill is probably undercooked in terms of experience as well but I like how he created a happy positive squad at wolves which I think would translate into international management. Bit too soon for him maybe?

52 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

This is why I am scratching my head at who would replace him that is realistic. We need a manager that can cope with all the media pressure and can make tough decisions but someone who has a clear specific style of play that will fit the majority of the youngish players. I worry that with the bookies favourites Potter does he have either? he crumbled at Chelsea. Would Howe really leave Newcastle? Pochettino is too defensive.

I can only see Lee Carsley just on the basis that he's worked with all the young, next generation of players and won the U21 Euros but that's all you can hang your hat on for him.

Klopp. After he's had a little rest.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

We aren’t keeping the ball well enough with two deep midfielders, why do people think the solution is to remove one of them?

I don't know about removing one but if there has to be two of them then they don't need to be holding hands taking the ball off center backs that can actually play. You could throw one of those hula hoops over 4 of the back 6 sometimes. 

Maybe it's just that TAA was terrible that made the system look broken because in the past with Phillips and Rice it looked good. 

It looked hopeless especially when Foden and Bellingham were coming to collect the ball. Then with no long ball option it's no wonder Denmark could press. 

I don't think it's the crisis some are making out. But it definitely shouldn't have happened again Vs Denmark after it happened v Serbia. 

He has to play to the strength of his players. TAA looked so average that I can't imagine a decent Championship midfielder would look worse. What did he contribute? 

3 hours ago, cannable said:

2 hours ago, eddielewis said:

I think it would turn toxic before the tournament started Capello style. 

Gary O'Neill is probably undercooked in terms of experience as well but I like how he created a happy positive squad at wolves which I think would translate into international management. Bit too soon for him maybe?

The likes of O'Neill and Howe would probably rather be managing in the Premier League. It's where the ambitious managers want to be. Certainly Howe anyway.

It would be a long shot, but I'd be doing absolutely everything I could to bring in either Klopp or Ancelotti. You'd probably need to give Carsley the interim gig for a year, but I feel Ancelotti in particular would be perfect for managing a big-name squad at international level. Southgate did a great job when we were on the come up, but I think it's patently obvious he's not going to cut it now expectations are back through the roof.

I have absolutely zero faith in the FA to make the right appointment though.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

3 hours ago, Alph said:

I don't know about removing one but if there has to be two of them then they don't need to be holding hands taking the ball off center backs that can actually play. You could throw one of those hula hoops over 4 of the back 6 sometimes. 

Maybe it's just that TAA was terrible that made the system look broken because in the past with Phillips and Rice it looked good. 

It looked hopeless especially when Foden and Bellingham were coming to collect the ball. Then with no long ball option it's no wonder Denmark could press. 

I don't think it's the crisis some are making out. But it definitely shouldn't have happened again Vs Denmark after it happened v Serbia. 

He has to play to the strength of his players. TAA looked so average that I can't imagine a decent Championship midfielder would look worse. What did he contribute? 

I thought Trent was actually the better of the midfielders. At least tried to get things going but it didn't happen. Bellingham was anonymous and Rice had as poor a game as I've seen from him. 

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Always loved that Brian Clough gets alluded to in that scene.

The FA we’re frightened of him, Back in the day all chairmen of each county FA were balloted to see who would sit on the committee, All expenses trips abroad, Free tickets, Quaffing food and necking beers, Old men not giving up their hard won status…🤡s

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Austria appear to have taken the lead… and then kept attacking? Thats not allowed is it?

You mistook us scoring early twice for us ever really playing attacking prior to the goals. We didn’t. We played the same before and after. Too deep with every player wanting to come short to feet. Never ever going to work. 

A question for those who know the rules.

France V Netherlands

French player injured, Ref goes over to look, The ball is in the French goal mouth as ball went out of play, Player gets up and resumes, Now Ref blows to start the game, The keeper plays it to a French defender who then stops the ball with both hands to take the goal kick.

Is the rule still the same...ball not in play until it goes out of the box.

Confused.com

24 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

A question for those who know the rules.

France V Netherlands

French player injured, Ref goes over to look, The ball is in the French goal mouth as ball went out of play, Player gets up and resumes, Now Ref blows to start the game, The keeper plays it to a French defender who then stops the ball with both hands to take the goal kick.

Is the rule still the same...ball not in play until it goes out of the box.

Confused.com

This is the new rule.

The ball must be stationary and is kicked from any point within the goal area by a player of the defending team

The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves.

Then surely Anthony Taylor should have awarded a penalty...or have I just had a brain fart 🤷‍♂️

Atwell at it again. Takes easily the longest time in the tournament so far to decide on a VAR incident, even though it was a straightforward 'was the player, standing in a clearly offside position, obstructing the keepers' line of sight?'. I'm convinced he still got it wrong!