UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well we can, but playing like this would you be proud?

What ?? Would I be proud of England won the euros, is that the question your asking ?

if so, then yes, i wouldn't give a flying duck how we won it and if that happened then Southgate would deserve every plaudit available given we haven't ever done it b4.

However, imo we have more of a chance playing to put strengths, but as above, if he feels that's the way to do it and achieves it, fair play.

These lack of extra time added on I find awful to be honest. First half of this Spain v Italy match a player was on the floor every five minutes and all we get is two added minutes.

One small area the leagues in England are miles ahead.

22 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

What ?? Would I be proud of England won the euros, is that the question your asking ?

if so, then yes, i wouldn't give a flying duck how we won it and if that happened then Southgate would deserve every plaudit available given we haven't ever done it b4.

However, imo we have more of a chance playing to put strengths, but as above, if he feels that's the way to do it and achieves it, fair play.

I'll be waiting for it to happen then because as per every other tournament he's taken us into, it hasn't. 😄

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well given that you weren't proud of us winning promotion, I think we all know your answer...

No, no you don't. But then you're a big WUM aren't you. 😄

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Kyle Walker who plays for a side who regularly steamroller teams 3 and 4 nil, saying it's unrealistic for people to expect them to steamroller teams 3 and 4 nil. 

One of those teams has pep in charge .. the other most certainly doesnt 

2 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Is there no English player with a half-decent left foot who can play left-back?

I've nowt against Tripper, but fook me he's soooo predictable.

Apparently these are the only Englishmen to have started more than 10 games at LB in a 'top 5 league' this season

Screenshot_20240620_210559_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ef4729a9a2010bed02f200ae65a6eb86.jpg

Levi Colwill and Lewis Hall should be in with a shout of maiing the England squad for the World Cup

10 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

That's not what you asked though 😉 Would you not be proud if we won it ?

Not really no. But time would fade that and then we'd be able to celebrate it as a record in our history.

Were you proud of us tonight? 👍

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Pickford 

Walker Stones Guehi

TAA        Rice     Gallagher        Saka 

Foden      Bellingham 

Kane 

Not ideal but until we have a left back fit let’s play with wingbacks. 

Was going to just post the same team but stick Wharton instead of Gallagher he can collect the ball off the defence. That shape is the most balanced but still these players need a kick up the arse it's only as good if the players are confident enough.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not really no. But time would fade that and then we'd be able to celebrate it as a record in our history.

Were you proud of us tonight? 👍

I was disappointed in the way we played, however once again not the question you asked. Would I take us winning 5-0 every game but losing the final over drawing every game like Portugal did and still win it, then I'd take the latter and be very proud.

We haven't won the euros, EVER, I'd celebrate a win once the final whistle went.

Incredibly disappointing and depressing game. Southgate always seems to pick his 11 favourites " du jour " and attempts to crowbar them into a team, even if they're woefully out of position. We've not got 2 players per position that play naturally in that position week in, week out in the Premier League.

We've picked an invalid at left back that may not even be fit in the whole tournament, and even if he is he hasn't played for 4 months. s*** options in central midfield.

Our squad essentially seems to be:

Pickford in goal + 2, as we have to select 3 goalies.

Central Defence -  Stone, Guehi ( who was a bit of a risk, but has performed well so far ) but nothing of note as back up.

RB/LB - Kyle Walker. Thank the Lord for him, Trippier and err, that's it apart from sicknote. He's not that good to be waiting on his fitness for weeks.

Central Midfield - Rice. And that's it. Who can we crowbar in alongside him? Let's try a RB/ occaisional wingback shall we. He's popular.

Wingers - Let's use Foden as left winger shall we? Because we can't drop him. Even though it's not where he plays for arguably the best club side in the world. Right wing Saka, at least he's half decent there.

Strikers - Let's just go with Harry Kane, then not sub him until he's found out when the game has moved beyond our control.

And we'll play our joker. Our Saviour St Jude of Bellingham. He'll rescue us - except when he's marked out of the game, and our plan goes to s***.

As for the other 14 places in our 26 man squad, we'll just pick 14 young popular players, from the Prem irrespective of what position they play in, because it looks cool and futuristic, whilst ignoring we haven't even got solid starters and cover players for our basic positions. And ignoring that some of them only look good because they are gradually integrated into established Prem teams, without international experience. Only 4 or 5 of them will figure to any extent in the tournament, but hey, it's radical!

It feels like Southgate has just picked the squad on a popularity vote. " Just get them in there " Shake the runes up, cast them and see where they land. Like football Alphabet Spaghetti.

The crime of not getting at least one player, natural in his position, alongside cover for that position exasperates me. It's like the team was chosen on player ratings for the last game day in the Premier League.

Random, unbalanced team. Randomly trying to fit them in together. Not playing players in the positions they excel at for their teams.

Grrr. It makes me angry. And he's reportedly on £6m a year to oversee this random experiment. The only plus point is he's got rid of the " club cliques " that used to exist in the England squad.

But he's a clueless tactician. Sometimes the team clicks despite him, not BECAUSE of him.

Rant over, apologies.

5 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Incredibly disappointing and depressing game. Southgate always seems to pick his 11 favourites " du jour " and attempts to crowbar them into a team, even if they're woefully out of position. We've not got 2 players per position that play naturally in that position week in, week out in the Premier League.

We've picked an invalid at left back that may not even be fit in the whole tournament, and even if he is he hasn't played for 4 months. s*** options in central midfield.

Our squad essentially seems to be:

Pickford in goal + 2, as we have to select 3 goalies.

Central Defence -  Stone, Guehi ( who was a bit of a risk, but has performed well so far ) but nothing of note as back up.

RB/LB - Kyle Walker. Thank the Lord for him, Trippier and err, that's it apart from sicknote. He's not that good to be waiting on his fitness for weeks.

Central Midfield - Rice. And that's it. Who can we crowbar in alongside him? Let's try a RB/ occaisional wingback shall we. He's popular.

Wingers - Let's use Foden as left winger shall we? Because we can't drop him. Even though it's not where he plays for arguably the best club side in the world. Right wing Saka, at least he's half decent there.

Strikers - Let's just go with Harry Kane, then not sub him until he's found out when the game has moved beyond our control.

And we'll play our joker. Our Saviour St Jude of Bellingham. He'll rescue us - except when he's marked out of the game, and our plan goes to s***.

As for the other 14 places in our 26 man squad, we'll just pick 14 young popular players, from the Prem irrespective of what position they play in, because it looks cool and futuristic, whilst ignoring we haven't even got solid starters and cover players for our basic positions. And ignoring that some of them only look good because they are gradually integrated into established Prem teams, without international experience. Only 4 or 5 of them will figure to any extent in the tournament, but hey, it's radical!

It feels like Southgate has just picked the squad on a popularity vote. " Just get them in there " Shake the runes up, cast them and see where they land. Like football Alphabet Spaghetti.

The crime of not getting at least one player, natural in his position, alongside cover for that position exasperates me. It's like the team was chosen on player ratings for the last game day in the Premier League.

Random, unbalanced team. Randomly trying to fit them in together. Not playing players in the positions they excel at for their teams.

Grrr. It makes me angry. And he's reportedly on £6m a year to oversee this random experiment. The only plus point is he's got rid of the " club cliques " that used to exist in the England squad.

But he's a clueless tactician. Sometimes the team clicks despite him, not BECAUSE of him.

Rant over, apologies.

Just out of interest, what would your 26 man squad and starting 11 be?