New shirt sponsor

2 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

The Rolls Royce brand is bigger than the Derby County brand 😂 I suppose it would be difficult explaining to the RR shareholders the benefits associated with company sponsoring the local football club.

Nice idea though.

So is the Toyota brand

2 hours ago, Day said:

You say that, yet what would they gain from doing it? Not like Just Eat where they can give you a 10% discount code and lure you into a kebab through them every Saturday.

Midweek offer, 10% off a Trent 7000 engine for fans.

Looks good on a kit mockup whilst we wait for signings but makes no financial sense, that money would be better off in their bank account, reward the city with it by not laying off staff when profits start to dip.

Yeah that's what I meant when I said they don't need to advertise.

Just good PR in a city where they are based but fully understand the argument against it.

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure we had a betting company still within Pride Park, was it Unibet? So maybe these are just replacing what was already there. Im sure all clubs have a betting company within their stadiums.

10 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Not the shirt sponsor but disappointing that we have to partner with crummy betting companies

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2024/07/club-partner-spreadex-confirmed-as-club-partner-for-202425

Money talks though eh

Why is it?

People moaning about this is just virtue signalling nonsense.

It is going to change nothing. Nothing on our shirts. Their logo will be on the betting slips and they will get some advertisement on the pitchside boards, and we get money for it? I really don't see an issue.

We have had ladbrokes/betting stalls in our stadium since I can remember

Another opportunity for some fans to have a moan.

41 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Not the shirt sponsor but disappointing that we have to partner with crummy betting companies

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2024/07/club-partner-spreadex-confirmed-as-club-partner-for-202425

Money talks though eh

Why crummy?, a lot of people like to have a little flutter on match day, just because some have no self control doesn't mean the rest have to suffer.

What next?, get rid of the bars because it's too tempting for Alkies?.

Where does it end?

I would have them plastered all over the shirts, advertising boards and big screen if they paid enough. All goes into the pot, helping us build again.

57 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Why is it?

It is going to change nothing. Nothing on our shirts. Their logo will be on the betting slips and they will get some advertisement on the pitchside boards, and we get money for it? I really don't see an issue.

Wasn't the 'virtue signalling' from the Club last season. Whats' the difference with it being seen on the shirts or in the stands? They made it sound like there was a problem with betting 'sponsorship' don't you think?

Edited by RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wasn't the 'virtue signalling' from the Club last season. Whats' the difference with it being seen on the shirts or in the stands? They made it sound like there was a problem with betting sponsorship don't you think?

It isn’t sponsorship. 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wasn't the 'virtue signalling' from the Club last season. Whats' the difference with it being seen on the shirts or in the stands? They made it sound like there was a problem with betting 'sponsorship' don't you think?

It isn't sponsorship at all. They've said they wouldn't have a betting company as front of shirt sponsor and they haven't.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Why is it?

Agree those who want a bet in the ground can and those who don’t won’t . It’s personal choice they are hardly going to be chasing people round the concourse badgering them to have a bet. People should start to take personal responsibility for their own decision making 

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

It isn't sponsorship at all. They've said they wouldn't have a betting company as front of shirt sponsor and they haven't.

What's the difference? Just that the money doesn't buy you the front of the shirt? 😄

You were the one going on about 'virtue signalling' and that's what this is, taking money from a betting company, just not on the shirt front. 😄

39 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Why crummy?, a lot of people like to have a little flutter on match day, just because some have no self control doesn't mean the rest have to suffer.

What next?, get rid of the bars because it's too tempting for Alkies?.

Where does it end?

I would have them plastered all over the shirts, advertising boards and big screen if they paid enough. All goes into the pot, helping us build again.

I agree with the sentiment that gambling and drinking are past times that plenty of people can and do partake in without dire consequences and therefore should still be a part of society.
However reducing the problems of addiction to “some people having no self control” when it ruins thousands of lives the world over shows a lack of awareness and understanding. I’ve seen first hand the crippling impact of addiction on people who are otherwise functioning “normally” in life, in some high powered and respected roles within society, with families and friends around them. It’s far more complex than people lacking self control. 

We play in the Sky Bet championship. If kids want all the badges on the shirts, they'll have one that says that.

We have a weight loss surgery sponsor on the shirt, again not very good for the body positive community. Potentially encouraging body dysmorphia and eating disorders.

We have a main shirt sponsor on every shirt as default, that last season were regularly giving out free alcohol for downloading their app. Molson Coors were the official "alcohol pouring rights partner" last year:

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/08/derby-confirm-pouring-partner-agreement-with-molson-coors

As said, this will just replace the betting stations and rebrand them. I recall this being mentioned in one of the charter meetings minutes about the disappearance of them last season with the official club answer being we didn't get a sponsor for it last season. 

And don't get me started on the sponsor of the west stand with Toyota, don't they know how dangerous cars are and the killing stats on them? And actively promoting heading the ball which has been banned at youth levels due to head/brain injuries in later life. Disgusting. 

What a huge over reaction this all is.

32 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I agree with the sentiment that gambling and drinking are past times that plenty of people can and do partake in without dire consequences and therefore should still be a part of society.
However reducing the problems of addiction to “some people having no self control” when it ruins thousands of lives the world over shows a lack of awareness and understanding. I’ve seen first hand the crippling impact of addiction on people who are otherwise functioning “normally” in life, in some high powered and respected roles within society, with families and friends around them. It’s far more complex than people lacking self control. 

Yes, much of what you said, I agree with and i'm aware it ruins lives. I am also fully aware of how it can destroy lives of those addicted and their families. I too have 1st hand experience of loss of life due to addictions, my cousin, my best friends wife and my close friends sister all died from addiction.

My point is, it all starts somewhere doesn't it and that starting point is a lack of self control. I agree once addicted it is impossible for some to get out of it.

So in reply, i am fully aware of the harshness of addiction.

My point was why should the majority miss out because of the few. Maybe those who have addictions should be carefull about where they go if temptation is going to be too strong for them.

It may sound harsh, but it's coming from a good place if you know what i mean.

38 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Yes, much of what you said, I agree with and i'm aware it ruins lives. I am also fully aware of how it can destroy lives of those addicted and their families. I too have 1st hand experience of loss of life due to addictions, my cousin, my best friends wife and my close friends sister all died from addiction.

My point is, it all starts somewhere doesn't it and that starting point is a lack of self control. I agree once addicted it is impossible for some to get out of it.

So in reply, i am fully aware of the harshness of addiction.

My point was why should the majority miss out because of the few. Maybe those who have addictions should be carefull about where they go if temptation is going to be too strong for them.

It may sound harsh, but it's coming from a good place if you know what i mean.

First off, sorry for the people you’ve lost.

I don’t want to take this off on too much more of a tangent as it’ll get boring for everyone, and today’s announcement isn’t even about shirt sponsorship. I agree gambling and alcohol should remain accessible to everyone (within the laws of the land etc), they’re synonymous with sport and plenty of people can have a bet or a drink at the game with no further issues occurring. 

And yes, those with addictions and actively in recovery should look to put barriers and strategies in place to limit their access and exposure to whatever it is they’re addicted to, aspects of this are easier done than others but people have to work on their recovery so must navigate the challenges of that. 

The club has a right to earn money through sponsorship and partnerships as does any other business, so no qualms there either, when we were sponsored by 32Red I made the simple choice not to buy a shirt for my own reasons, I’m not going to say other people can’t, that’s their choice to make. 

The bit I took issue with, which you have further clarified (thank you) was the bit about self control, and I still disagree with your view there as people turn to drink, drugs and gambling for all kinds of reasons, some won’t even realise they’re doing it, some will but it’s too late by then, often addiction is an emotional disorder linked to other issues and can be inherently linked to mental health and well-being. 

BUT, essentially while I personally feel as an industry gambling needs better regulation and gambling addiction is a wider issue in society than many realise, that’s not the club’s fault and it’s something that needs addressing in the halls of Westminster. Until the rules change on gambling advertising like they did on alcohol and smoking before, it’s fair game for football clubs as a source of revenue when the options for that seem ever fewer and far between. Essentially, it is what it is in the modern era of sport, no use beaten the club with this particular stick. Sorry for the essay 😁 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Is the promotion of Carling ok, Pukka Pies?

Alcoholism and obesity can also destroy lives. How far do we go with this?

Should be refuse to play in the SkyBet Championship?

My only gripe is when the betting companies do not appear to be legitimate gambling website, these in the far east with no website, no online presence at all.