Dirty Derby…??

5 hours ago, jono said:

There’s dirty. Then there is robust, combative and gutsy

I can’t remember any Derby player being serially dirty and that pleases me hugely 

Sir Jake never shirked and put himself about, Same with Curtis, Bradly is hard as nails as is Adams. Genuinely strong players can be enjoyable to watch. More recently, further up the pitch I remember a game where Cameron Jerome bullied 2CH’s in to submission. It was an masterclass, and then, which match was it that  Festy charged through midfield leaving dead and dieing players in his wake. ? Love that sort of thing but not the cynical. 

Probably Cardiff where their centrehalf- Morrison? was giving it the biggun on line .  Smashed the s*** out of him and got 2 goals. 

My old man tells a story about the 3rd Div North promotion team. We'd won away and the opposition manager complained to Harry Storer that some of our lads had been 'clogging'. Storer asked for the names of our dirty players. Opposition manager asked if he was going to give them a bollocking. Storer replied "No, but I am bollocking the others".

So, in answer to OP, late 1950s probably.

23 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Did see a study once where it seems every time you recall a memory you add a second or two from another memory, or add something from someone else's memory of the event if they recall it.  After 30 years it's probably 50% accurate.

Very true.

I remember Uncle Colin larking about with the Bluebird Boys in the snow on the PP car park, (Back in the days when it proper snowed... and I mean "PROPER"!) and when I offered him my sledge, he went down that really long steep hill down to Costco, before making me drag it all the way back up again.  He said it was the most fun he'd had since moving to Cardiff.
"I don't doubt that, Colin", I replied.
Oh, how we laughed... before he said "Who the duck is Colin?".  
Turns out, he was actually christened Neil, due to his Aztec ancestry.  Who knew!  

Ah... Happy days.  

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Weird how we have memories of stuff that never happened. That was well before he came to Derby,

And I'm not taking the p*** because it's been proven how easy it is for all of us to construct false memories of events afterwards from things like photos.

I thought it was at spurs, cant remember the incident myself but its an iconic photo of him, and i love the photo.👍

Ok first I'm a little dissapointed that this thread wasn't mapping out all the Bubbles, or Eden style locations in the city.

Anyway I remember Seth-lad being quite hard, but again not dirty. Against Manure didnt he clean up Keane and his little prodigy Butt in about 5 seconds of each other? Also us in the South East corner could get him booked by simply doing some drums against the back of the stand (similar to a train?) He'd then run about 30 yards to wipe out someone vaguely close to play, took a while to spot the recurring pattern but it was there.

My step-mother always said that Derby were dirty! (Maybe she just associated Derby with me!!!) I expect that she saw a few matches on Match of the Day in the 60s or 70s and drew her conclusion from clips from a handful of games ...

Is there no statto on here who can produce some comparative facts of sending offs over the years for us v other teams.

I don't count yellow cards as these are for blowing your nose wrong these days.

i saw Franny's famous punch up from reasonably close as a teenager. and he had every right to punch Norman hunter in my view. along with Bremner Giles and Madeley  they had a few hard nuts. but Franny did dive i.e. real Madrid. but i would never call us dirty hard but its a game.

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

Not much got past Rob Hindmarch, Ross McLaren and Mickey Forsyth and if they did they knew about it

Got put on his ass when walking out of the Dolphin, He bumped into a Derby lad with the immortal words "do you know who I am" 🙄 

Henry Newton was one you didn't want to upset, Ronnie Webster another 👍

17 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Got put on his ass when walking out of the Dolphin, He bumped into a Derby lad with the immortal words "do you know who I am" 🙄 

Henry Newton was one you didn't want to upset, Ronnie Webster another 👍

Mick Harford.  Hit on the head with nunchucks laying out two blokes who tried to headbutt Tony Coton.  When to get stitched up and came back to the pub. 😂

Don’t think we’ve ever had anybody who was a proper football thug. 
Mick Harford was proper hard and would definitely make me think twice about going in to a 50/50 challenge.
Special mentions would also go to Dave Mackay, Frannie Lee and Bruce Rioch - all of them could look after themselves, but the thought of Mick Harford makes me wince 🫣🐏

On 08/05/2024 at 14:58, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Mick Harford.  Hit on the head with nunchucks laying out two blokes who tried to headbutt Tony Coton.  When to get stitched up and came back to the pub. 😂

Coton loved a punch up. An absolute nutter.

Harford once said that the only footballer he'd have been reluctant to take on in a fight was Derek Spence, the Northern Ireland centre-forward.