Sonny Bradley interview

Just seen this ( and couldn’t find any mention of it on here)

I thought he came across well, aware of his start and initial performances but keen to show he was ever present in training all season and it was pointed out that he played most of the last 17 games. 

7 minutes ago, R@M said:

Just seen this ( and couldn’t find any mention of it on here)

I thought he came across well, aware of his start and initial performances but keen to show he was ever present in training all season and it was pointed out that he played most of the last 17 games. 

Apart from the ones he got himself suspended for 😂

He did play his part though, so well done Sonny 👏

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Sorry I don’t believe all the rumours that Sonny B thinks he is “ Billy Big B—-cks”. He really is no Roy Keane , if anything , he is a big softie. Warne has really nailed his colours to the post on him . Let’s give them both a chance this season. 

Is one of those morning random toilet thoughts or have I missed some Sonny Bradley content recently?

Just now, Day said:

Is one of those morning random toilet thoughts or have I missed some Sonny Bradley content recently?

The “rumours” thread turned into a bit of a discussion of Bradley’s contributions last season and whether he’s worth his place in the squad this season, so I think this may be @jimtastic56 moving that dialogue to an appropriate place on the forum. 

I know Jake Barker alluded that he's heard that Bradley was a bit of bad egg, this was after his sending off. 

Not heard anymore other than whats been posted on here. But wouldn't of thought Warne would stand for a bad influence seeing as he's so big in to signings being good people. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Srg said:

I personally have no opinion on his character, as you've said, he's captained teams before but he's also had a very questionable sending off here. I'm more concerned with his ability to start games this season, which is where I struggle.

I agree that I don’t want him to be our first choice cb in a three or a two, and I think we could upgrade on Bradley with options out there in the market, but I can’t see us offloading him given the probable wages agreed when he signed his contract so am sort of accepting of his presence in the squad and think he’ll play a part this season. Maybe coming on to see games out, possibly providing a rest to whoever is first choice by starting when we have cup games or come up against a side who won’t expose his lack of pace. 

I agree with those who observed his contribution at the back end of last season, I don’t feel he should be written off for those couple of errors in his game any more than he should be lauded for some of his positive contributions to our points tally (goals scored, headed clearances, blocks). He didn’t live up to the initial hype but he also played a solid enough part in what ultimately proved to be a successful campaign. Hoping if and when he’s called upon he can do a job this season too.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I agree that I don’t want him to be our first choice cb in a three or a two, and I think we could upgrade on Bradley with options out there in the market, but I can’t see us offloading him given the probable wages agreed when he signed his contract so am sort of accepting of his presence in the squad and think he’ll play a part this season. Maybe coming on to see games out, possibly providing a rest to whoever is first choice by starting when we have cup games or come up against a side who won’t expose his lack of pace. 

I agree with those who observed his contribution at the back end of last season, I don’t feel he should be written off for those couple of errors in his game any more than he should be lauded for some of his positive contributions to our points tally (goals scored, header clearances, blocks). He didn’t live up to the initial hype but he also played a solid enough part it what ultimately proved to be a successful campaign. Hoping if and when he’s called upon he can do a job this season too.

I don't think he will be leaving either. I think his best way of contributing, like you said, is being a guy who comes on late to head it away or also comes on late to get on the end of corners and set pieces in an attacking sense. Play him in the cups from the start, but will need another centre back if we are playing with a 3, unless Warne is happy to go with 3 centre backs who aren't very tall. His performances improved towards the end of the season but they were no more than fine - Forsyth played better as a centre back vs. Bolton than Bradley did in any game, as far as I can remember.

I'm hoping that he'll be seen as back up to Nelson this season with a first choice 3 of Nyambe, Nelson, Cashin backed up by Rooney, Bradley, Forsyth.

I don't really want to see Nelson on the right of the back 3 like he played last season, I think the extra pace of this division versus L1 will expose his own lack of pace for that role.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I don't think he will be leaving either. I think his best way of contributing, like you said, is being a guy who comes on late to head it away or also comes on late to get on the end of corners and set pieces in an attacking sense. Play him in the cups from the start, but will need another centre back if we are playing with a 3, unless Warne is happy to go with 3 centre backs who aren't very tall. His performances improved towards the end of the season but they were no more than fine - Forsyth played better as a centre back vs. Bolton than Bradley did in any game, as far as I can remember.

Forsyth was immense in that game. First game back from injury, bossed it at the back, then re-injured himself 😔 

First team CB options at the moment are what? Nelson, Cashin, Bradley, Rooney, Nyambe, Forsyth? One of the stronger areas of the squad (and always something that could still improve).

From those 6 if we’re playing a back 4 for me it’s Nelson and Cashin as the cbs every time, a back 3 I’d probably look at Nyambe as the rcb with Nelson in the middle and Cashin lcb, but then we do give away a bit of height as you mention. Leaves Rooney, Forsyth and Bradley to come on as subs, cover injury, and play in the cups. Not terrible options, but ideally I’d want another younger, more robust option given Bradley’s limitations and the injury history of Foz and Rooney. 

31 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

My main issue with Bradley is that he's built like a brick outhouse yet has the on-field presence of a 5-year-old schoolgirl....

What would he do if NML nicked his phone in the changing room ? Warne says they are all good characters, so we will have to take him at his word . 

With a lot of churn in the squad this window anyway, we'll just have to see how the chemistry works, but hopefully everyone starts with a good vibe and that leads to success.

Bradley never really got going here and made some bad mistakes but has been an ok defender before in his career so, hopefully he's much improved this season.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

I know Jake Barker alluded that he's heard that Bradley was a bit of bad egg, this was after his sending off. 

Not heard anymore other than whats been posted on here. But wouldn't have thought Warne would stand for a bad influence seeing as he's so big in to signings being good people. 

Funny  how these rumours appear after a sending off. If he was a bad egg why wasn’t it mentioned before? The reason is it’s made up crap that people post to give the impression they have knowledge the general fan base don’t. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

Funny  how these rumours appear after a sending off. If he was a bad egg why wasn’t it mentioned before? The reason is it’s made up crap that people post to give the impression they have knowledge the general fan base don’t. 

Maybe.

I haven't heard much else either way.

Providing he's got a good attitude i'm happy for him to stay, but would like us to sign another centreback to push him down the queue. 

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

I'm hoping that he'll be seen as back up to Nelson this season with a first choice 3 of Nyambe, Nelson, Cashin backed up by Rooney, Bradley, Forsyth.

I don't really want to see Nelson on the right of the back 3 like he played last season, I think the extra pace of this division versus L1 will expose his own lack of pace for that role.

Agree with all of that. I don't see Bradley starting too many games this season. He's a solid squad pick who can do a job when called upon, but with injuries notwithstanding, we already have better options in-house IMO and I think it's probably also a key focus point for Warne and his team in any case. 

Last season I put up Chris Forino at Wycombe a few times on here as I was hoping that he might have been of interest. Sadly, Bolton got in there first and on a free too. Big, strong, combative, aerially commanding and deceptively quick. Quite dominant on the occasions I watched him and at 24, some way off his peak yet. Now hoping he turns out to be rubbish, obviously! 

I'm sure we'll be looking to strengthen anyway and with faith in our recruitment strategies growing (post-Morris), I'm sure Warne and his team can find better prospects. FWIW, I do think we'll remain pretty solid defensively in any case. We'll need to!

8 hours ago, Mr Ramtastic said:

Yeah you've got me there, that's exactly the reason I've posted it. Can't believe you've rumbled me so easily 😂

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah you've got me there, that's exactly the reason I've posted it. Can't believe you've rumbled me so easily 😂

I’m afraid you’ve forgot a basic rule. Mr Rambastic, semi-fantastic.

You’re welcome x

It’s probably worth saying that one persons ‘bit above himself’ and another persons ‘got a bit of character’. In football terms, it’s not the worst trait to have as long as it’s relatively managed.

Whether it was on or off the pitch, if you couldn’t see that we needed players with a bit of Bradleys mentality and take the good and the bad sides of that, then I’d go as far as to say you don’t really grasp why Derby hadn’t been overly successful in the years previous. Yes, we’ve had good professional leaders like Davies and Keogh but both lack that ‘unpredictable mad bugger’ that you need a bit of to get you over the line.

Also players who perceive themselves as leaders always take a bit of time to settle into clubs I think, the only way they really get a foothold is through being persistent with game time. Similar happened with Davies under Rowett where it took him 10 games to really settle into the side. We never really could settle into a back 3 so Bradley never got the game time until later in the season.