Agents Fees

I have never understood how football has allowed this bizarre situation to be accepted where the Clubs pay the fees for the player’s agents. These players employ their agents- they work for them and benefit from their efforts. Yet the Clubs pay the fees ! It’s nonsense. The players themselves should be paying for THEIR agent’s fees.

Madness.

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

That must cover 30+ contract transactions.

I don’t know the exact number starting from only 5 contracted players but you can’t be far wrong with signings and contract extensions.  

With 30 as a round number and £434,000 comes to about £14.5 k per transaction.

We know some players agents will be way more and some way less per contract but with the massive amount of work needing to be done and only short term contracts offered it’s not a surprising number. 
Infuriating the club has to pay them anything and not the players but that’s a different conversation altogether.  

1 hour ago, CapeTownRams said:

I have never understood how football has allowed this bizarre situation to be accepted where the Clubs pay the fees for the player’s agents. These players employ their agents- they work for them and benefit from their efforts. Yet the Clubs pay the fees ! It’s nonsense. The players themselves should be paying for THEIR agent’s fees.

Madness.

I've also always thought that because of this, it's in agent's interest to keep moving players around as much as they can as they get a sweet cut of any move - and I'm pretty certain there's been more than one player made a move they wouldn't really made but for the advice of their agent and it's not worked out for them.

The "look at them throwing money around" narrative is going to come up a lot over the next few weeks.

3 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

Madness.

Agents are often in conversation in clubs to convince their player to go to said club. It's not always a benefit to the player, although I think they will generally advise their player well (at least the good ones). 

3 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

Madness.

would that make any difference to the amount the clubs pay? 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

And because we had such a small squad, we had to make plenty of signings in a single season. We're still playing catch up.

I do agree, but the wage bill last season was still significant. 

The wage bill last season at Derby (total) was larger than Sunderland during their promotion season which I assume also included promotion bonuses - and they had a category one academy.

12 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

Madness.

Players are in such a strong bargaining position, aren’t they, it’s crazy. There’s usually multiple clubs in for them, clubs have fan pressure to do their utmost to secure the signing and you’ve got to be a highly skilled person in a very specific age bracket to even be qualified to potentially play professional football

They can just make the clubs do what they want. I suppose that’s why wages have sky rocketed