Another Pompey Fan.....In Peace.

Hi Rams fans,

Have been following your forum for a wee while and thought I'd stick my nose in.

Registering took a while but I got there in the end, so.

To quote Neil Young, 'Tonight's The Night'. I guess tonight's game isn't pivotal, but things might be a little clearer..

Last night's results didn't help either of our clubs, in the end it's in our own hands.

Main reason for joining Rams board is the family split that exists....I am Pompey, my son is Derby., He and I have had

little contact due to past ructions between his mum and I...Last time I saw him he was a part time Celtic fan. (He was

born in Scotland, where I lived and was married for some 20 years. I took him to see a couple of Pompey games but

he wasn't impressed, took him to my school where I was a goalie...unimpressed. It was only when my ex remarried that

the Rams bug seemed to bite. Dunno if picture will show on this thread.

Tonight will be interesting, even if it's a dull game. A draw would suit us fine and I have to say that our final games fill

me with some dread. We had a 'blip' earlier in the season and recovered. This time, any blip will not be recoverable.

I have followed Pompey for over 55 years (youngsters refuse to believe me when I tell them we have an innate ability

to mess up just as we're about to cross finishing line. (I guess this is what attracted me to Hearts when in Edinburgh,

very similar ground, fan base and fatal flaws!) How you can beat us....classified I'm afraid but we have some very obvious 

weaknesses you can exploit. Don't go into game looking for a point, teams that have done well at Fratton have come out

and taken game to us.

Why are we top of the league? Many fans mutter 'They're nothing special..have seen much better' These fans are often right.

Many of our performances have been sub-optimal BUT the one aspect that has run through most games is a newfound

belief that, even if we o 0-2 down, the situation is recoverable. Games last 95 minutes or so these days...we manage to keep

believing the situation is retrievable. It's this that has sent us to the top...plus a pretty stingy defence, a creative midfield

and strikers who, on their day can tear any League One side to shreds. Last game against Wycombe their left back wanted

to go off suffering from 'twisted blood'. (Gag borrowed from Man Utd, George Best joke.) On their day, Kamara and Yengi,

supported by Bishop and Saydee are a real handful.

Lat night's results went pretty much according to form but previous games have shown all the maths and super computers

in the world simply cannot predict what will actually happen.

I hope you guys go up....Derby are a 'proper' club, part of the game's history BUT...so are we. Nobody has a divine right to be

'top of the tree'.....Anyone else remember the hushed tones from tv pundits when the mighty Man Utd were relegated?

It was as if there had been a death in the family.

Treat both success and failure as imposters....keep supporting your club. Good luck to all Rams making the journey down..

I see a few travelled down over the weekend and have already sampled some of our local beers.

All the best Rams...., Nick 

RichardRam.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I have honestly no idea how tonight is going to go. I’ve tried to predict it but it depends on which Derby show up. I’ve gone for three possibilities: 1-0 Derby , 1-1 and if the Achilles heel derby show up it’ll be 2-0 you 

I've predicted a Pompey win tonight, I don't think it'll be an easy game and I'd take a point right now but I'm just wary of Derby county and "the big moment" - however, losing tonight isn't as bad as all that because even in the worst case the best Bolton could do is pull level with us.

My other worry is a win tonight for us and the team get it in their heads that it's already done and go and drop a b****** like they did at Northampton.

The only really bad outcome on our side is a complete tonking that ruins belief, but I don't see that happening with this team, even when we're crap we're pretty stubborn and won't lose by a lot.

22 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Welcome to the forum! I have honestly no idea how tonight is going to go. I’ve tried to predict it but it depends on which Derby show up. I’ve gone for three possibilities: 1-0 Derby , 1-1 and if the Achilles heel derby show up it’ll be 2-0 you 

Thanks...seems pretty civilised here. Pompey have been fairly consistent..so who would have predicted a 0-4 home

spanking by Blackpool? Two pretty well matched sides....common sense predicts a draw....but when did sense have anything to do with footie? I can see another 0-4 nightmare...I really can! 

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I've predicted a Pompey win tonight, I don't think it'll be an easy game and I'd take a point right now but I'm just wary of Derby county and "the big moment" - however, losing tonight isn't as bad as all that because even in the worst case the best Bolton could do is pull level with us.

My other worry is a win tonight for us and the team get it in their heads that it's already done and go and drop a b****** like they did at Northampton.

The only really bad outcome on our side is a complete tonking that ruins belief, but I don't see that happening with this team, even when we're crap we're pretty stubborn and won't lose by a lot.

I reckon our players and management will be able to file a 'tonking' under..'bad day at office'.....BUT..I don't see it.

We (Pompey) have managed to keep our nerve...thusfar but even Mousinho is allowing players to dream of promotion...sure fire

way for things to go pear-shaped. I saw someone else suggest we shake hands before game and play out a 0-0,,,you remember scanle when Austria and Germany did that in World Cup?

Midweek, predicting a win in a treble for Posh, Trotters and Tykes worked as they all dropped points. At the weekend I predicted a win for all 3 again, this time adding wins for Lincoln and Oxford into the accumulator. All 5 won. Not the desired effect on the points front by my €5 delivered €94.50 

Tonight, we'll be going for the win but I predict a repeat of the 1-1 draw at PP earlier this season.

win.png

22 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Nice to see your lad is also bringing up his kids in the right manner!

I think we would all be happy with a draw tonight, but you are right I never think setting out for a point is a good idea

We had Altrincham in FA Cup...their fans were saying they should be defensive..play for draw. I told them NO...go at us.

They did and were very impressive...better than us. We were jammy to get a 93rd minute winner. You want hope?

Watch the Chesterfield FA Cup game......simply awful...we took result for granted.

7 minutes ago, NickPFC said:

Thanks...seems pretty civilised here. Pompey have been fairly consistent..so who would have predicted a 0-4 home

spanking by Blackpool? Two pretty well matched sides....common sense predicts a draw....but when did sense have anything to do with footie? I can see another 0-4 nightmare...I really can! 

Whatever you’re smoking please share it with your players before the game then your fears may come true. 😀

Seriously though, I see it being a very tight game. Even when we have won we have rarely looked very convincing so I think a heavy defeat for Pompey as extremely unlikely (but very welcome 😄). The most likely result, as I see it, is either a draw or a narrow win for you guys. A draw would be a good result as far as I’m concerned and a Rams win would obviously be outstanding but I can’t see it happening.

Let’s hope we both get over the line by the end of the season. 🐏

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Whatever you’re smoking please share it with your players before the game then your fears may come true. 😀

Seriously though, I see it being a very tight game. Even when we have won we have rarely looked very convincing so I think a heavy defeat for Pompey as extremely unlikely (but very welcome 😄). The most likely result, as I see it, is either a draw or a narrow win for you guys. A draw would be a good result as far as I’m concerned and a Rams win would obviously be outstanding but I can’t see it happening.

Let’s hope we both get over the line by the end of the season. 🐏

Hi Tamworth....Am on nothing wackier than Players Superkings!

Without getting all 'jumpers for goalposts' this is why football is the great imponderable.

IF we do this..IF they do that...tou can drive yourself mad that way!

True story....I did midweek fixed odds on European games....predict 15 correct results and

win...quite a lot! It was 21.45 and I had 14/15 correct and scores were final. Just waiting on

Brondby to beat Malmo...they were 1-0 up.....clock ticked to 22.00..still no final score.

I was of course spending my winnings....,.at 22.15 result came up.....Malmo had equalised in

25th minute of additional time!

I bore a grudge..right through to World Cup in Frankfurt 2006....I saw some Brondby fans drinking outside Irish bar...marched up and demanded my thousands of pounds! They laughed, apologised and bought me a beer. SO CLOSE!

If you win then the Championship is your oyster. We will have a nerve wracking seasons end

If we win Bolton have it all to do and we will be in touching distance.

Draw is probably good for all of us. We are short of fire power but football is a funny game. I have no prediction, no feeling how this will pan out but doubt there will be many goals

Wishing you luck excluding tonight 

2 hours ago, NickPFC said:

Hi Rams fans,

Have been following your forum for a wee while and thought I'd stick my nose in.

To quote Neil Young, 'Tonight's The Night'. I guess tonight's game isn't pivotal, but things might be a little clearer..

Last night's results didn't help either of our clubs, in the end it's in our own hands.

Main reason for joining Rams board is the family split that exists....I am Pompey, my son is Derby., He and I have had

little contact due to past ructions between his mum and I...Last time I saw him he was a part time Celtic fan. (He was

born in Scotland, where I lived and was married for some 20 years. I took him to see a couple of Pompey games but

he wasn't impressed, took him to my school where I was a goalie...unimpressed. It was only when my ex remarried that

Tonight will be interesting, even if it's a dull game. A draw would suit us fine and I have to say that our final games fill

me with some dread. We had a 'blip' earlier in the season and recovered. This time, any blip will not be recoverable.

I have followed Pompey for over 55 years (youngsters refuse to believe me when I tell them we have an innate ability

to mess up just as we're about to cross finishing line. (I guess this is what attracted me to Hearts when in Edinburgh,

very similar ground, fan base and fatal flaws!) How you can beat us....classified I'm afraid but we have some very obvious 

weaknesses you can exploit. Don't go into game looking for a point, teams that have done well at Fratton have come out

and taken game to us.

Why are we top of the league? Many fans mutter 'They're nothing special..have seen much better' These fans are often right.

Many of our performances have been sub-optimal BUT the one aspect that has run through most games is a newfound

belief that, even if we o 0-2 down, the situation is recoverable. Games last 95 minutes or so these days...we manage to keep

believing the situation is retrievable. It's this that has sent us to the top...plus a pretty stingy defence, a creative midfield

and strikers who, on their day can tear any League One side to shreds. Last game against Wycombe their left back wanted

to go off suffering from 'twisted blood'. (Gag borrowed from Man Utd, George Best joke.) On their day, Kamara and Yengi,

Lat night's results went pretty much according to form but previous games have shown all the maths and super computers

I hope you guys go up....Derby are a 'proper' club, part of the game's history BUT...so are we. Nobody has a divine right to be

'top of the tree'.....Anyone else remember the hushed tones from tv pundits when the mighty Man Utd were relegated?

Treat both success and failure as imposters....keep supporting your club. Good luck to all Rams making the journey down..

I see a few travelled down over the weekend and have already sampled some of our local beers.

RichardRam.jpg

Nice one.

Hope your defence tonight has as many gaps in it as your message !

22 minutes ago, jono said:

If you win then the Championship is your oyster. We will have a nerve wracking seasons end

Draw is probably good for all of us. We are short of fire power but football is a funny game. I have no prediction, no feeling how this will pan out but doubt there will be many goals

Cheers Jono....Some games you can make an educated guess about....and tonight MIGHT be one of those.

Mousinho knows not to go gung-ho for a win coz it's not essential....Same applies to Rams.

Tonight, rather than a 6 pointer is....re-rack/I'll fold/call it evens. Handshakes and head off into last few games!

23 minutes ago, jono said:

Just now, NickPFC said:

Cheers Jono....Some games you can make an educated guess about....and tonight MIGHT be one of those.

Mousinho knows not to go gung-ho for a win coz it's not essential....Same applies to Rams.

Tonight, rather than a 6 pointer is....re-rack/I'll fold/call it evens. Handshakes and head off into last few games!

See above!

14 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Nice one.

Hope your defence tonight has as many gaps in it as your message !

LOL. Working with an ageing keyboard....think of Pompey defence circa 83.Defence has actually been our strength..

which is pretty amazing since we've been playing with no recognised LB/RB and a makeshift/reserve central defence.

Am doing Sean Raggett a MAJOR disservice....he was dropped by manager...stayed in reserves for a long while. Injury necessitated his return and he's been magnificent. My personal player of the year. Centrally our defence is solid.....I have already given a hint as to how to get past us!

Think it'll be 1-0 Pompey unfortunately. 

We don't control games and our fire power is pretty much limited to our starting XI so if that gets negated then we don't have anyone to come off the bench and steal us the points. 

If i was offered a boring 0-0 i'd snap your hands off. 

4 hours ago, NickPFC said:

Hi Rams fans,

and taken game to us.

RichardRam.jpg

Love Neil Young 😊

47 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Love Neil Young 😊

Neil managed to stay relevant from hippy days through punk and then post punk/indie with DEVO....

always capable of surprising just when you've written him off. A bit like...(insert team or band here)

Perhaps 'On The Beach' is as good a title?