The run-in: some analysis

13 hours ago, Chopper said:

Dunno, Wycombe could be up for it. If they sell out their carpark again, threaten the EFL with some litigation and spend the week training hard at their natural strengths like kicking puppies and stealing toys from orphans they may be a tough challenge. 

They've won 4 in 5.  I expect them, Portsmouth and Blackpool to be the more serious tests.  The rest we should win if we turn up on the front foot with the right attitude.  

Peterborough playing so many games in such a short time will help us but at this point they are our biggest threat. But ultimately it is in our hands. One game at a time! i think 4 wins probably gets us over the line. If we can't muster 4 wins from Carlisle, Leyton Orient, Northampton, Wycombe and Cambridge then I don't know what to say. Portsmouth and Blackpool are our 'bonus games' where if we gain anything it puts pressure off for some of the other games. Ideally we go into Carlisle with our party hats and flags out without having to bite our nails. 

Northampton game is massive for me, lose and they pull 3 back then it's right back where we were, bag the 3 points and go in to Blackpool at home we could be looking at being 1 win away from pretty much being up barring a huge disaster which would go against all the odds.

Forget the other contenders run in and just concentrate on our next game. It is in our hands now and with a four point cushion we can afford a slip up. At some point we will drop unexpected points but so will the others. Everyone including the players needs to stay calm and we will be having a Promotion party against Carlisle.

26 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Northampton game is massive for me, lose and they pull 3 back then it's right back where we were, bag the 3 points and go in to Blackpool at home we could be looking at being 1 win away from pretty much being up barring a huge disaster which would go against all the odds.

Well and truly drilled by Portsmouth and Peterborough since Christmas.  Draws with Bolton and Oxford.   Turn up with a striker and get an early goal and it should be alright.  Turn up with no striker and a Bolton hangover it could be an endurance. 

We are in a good position now and I think we just need to be very professional. Be competitive, as we have been all season, but not silly. No daft sendings off - Mr Adams, Mendez-L watch the lunges - do not give referees the chance to make a decision. No daft penalties - Mr Wildsmith (brilliant on Saturday), Mr Ward, Cashin & Co..

Hopefully, we can make it through to the end of the season with no suspensions. We have a weakened attack but someone always seems to step up to produce something. Fingers crossed and no more injuries, PLEASE.

Not convinced the supposed "psychological advantage" of being 7 points ahead would be real - our rivals are going to go into their games looking to win irrespective.   If anything it might lead to us taking our foot off the gas thinking it's job done - teams with huge leads  usually come back to the pack a bit.   

3 hours ago, trappatoni said:

Not convinced the supposed "psychological advantage" of being 7 points ahead would be real - our rivals are going to go into their games looking to win irrespective.   If anything it might lead to us taking our foot off the gas thinking it's job done - teams with huge leads  usually come back to the pack a bit.   

That's a point. I may be a little wooley headed, but I seem to recall us better chasing the leaders than holding on. Under Davies, under SMc, several others, even under TBE in 95-96 roared to the top and then dropped off. Perhaps if Warne can motivate the team that first is still on we can continue to chase, lessening that risk of complacency or watching over our shoulders.

On 18/03/2024 at 13:41, Sussex Ram said:

As Dom Dietrich might say, these are “take it or leave it” stats. Below is my attempt at showing the league position of the opponents our direct competitors face on the run in:

Portsmouth- 12 2 17 3 5 11 7- average 8.14

Derby- 14 9 1 12 10 20 24- average 12.9

Bolton- 8 18 13 1 17 23 4- average 12

P’Boro- 24 10 23 6 22 13 21 3- average 15.3

Barnsley- 20 19 16 8 18 1 9 14- average 13.1

I haven’t considered home or away ties, but on the face it Portsmouth have by far the hardest run in, playing us, Bolton and Barnsley. My personal preference would be for them to beat Barnsley and Bolton, let them take the title, and it gives us more breathing space on the final day. But looking at it another way, if we can beat them on 2 April and other results go against them, might we be looking at a title push?? I would love that, for B4 if nothing else.

Peterborough have the easiest run in and face all three bottom teams, although I noticed they are one of only four teams to play midweek before the final game of the season- which for them is a massive 6-pointer against Bolton.

Our games seem to get “easier” as time goes on, whereas others are more mixed. Portsmouth finish against one the form teams of Europe (I’d guess?) in Lincoln. Let’s see if the Imps are still averaging three goals a game by then- if they are, they might well finish 4th or 5th!

Final point- our GD is 4 better than Portsmouth, 7 better than Bolton and P’Boro and 13 better than Barnsley. That could well be the half point advantage that makes a difference come 27th April…

I blogged a while back that goal difference could be  decisive.

On 18/03/2024 at 13:56, Chesterfield_Ram said:

The Northampton game is an important one psychologically for us. Win and we’re 2 points behind Portsmouth and 7 in front of Bolton. This could pressurise both teams as 1 slip up from Portsmouth could leave them in second place, and a slip up from Bolton could finish off their promotion push.

Yes they’ll have a game in hand, but there are very few easy games left for Portsmouth and Bolton already have to rely on us dropping points and them gaining them.

Points in the bag against games in hand at this stage of the season are more of an advantage.

Looking at the last Seven 

I think we beat Northampton, Leyton Orient and Carlisle leaving us needing 4 points from Blackpool, Portsmouth, Wycombe and Cambridge. 

This would see us end the season on

91 points (78 + 13 ) 

as our goal difference is 7 better than Bolton and peterborough and 13 better than Barnsley this would mean 

Bolton would need 6 wins and a draw to get 92 points 

Peterborough and Barnsley would need 7 wins and a draw from there last 8 games to get to that 92 point mark

5 wins puts us on 93. Posh, Bolton and Barnsley can all reach 95 if they win all their remaining games. Posh and Bolton play each other so they can't both win all games. Win 6 and nobody can reach us.

All ifs and buts. Basically, we get as many points as the chasing pack in the remaining games and we are home and dry. 

Que sera, sera. One game at a time. COYR.

Depends which "supercomputer" you believe!

This one for instance paint a gloomy picture:

"Derby look comfortable following their huge victory over Bolton at the weekend, but the supercomputer says that they will face capitulation over the next seven games, picking up just 10 points to drop into third. As a result, the Trotters are tipped to pip their promotion rivals to that all-important runner-up spot."

https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/03/19/heartbreak-for-derby-county-joy-for-lincoln-city-final-league-one-table-predicted/

There are a few '6 pointers' remaining:

29/03 Stevenage v Bolton

02/04 Portsmouth v Derby

09/04 Stevenage v Barnsley

13/04 Bolton v Portsmouth

13/04 Oxford v Peterborough

16/04 Oxford v Lincoln

16/04 Portsmouth v Barnsley

20/04 Oxford v Stevenage

27/04 Lincoln v Portsmouth

27/04 Peterborough v Bolton

37 minutes ago, admira said:

"Derby look comfortable following their huge victory over Bolton at the weekend, but the supercomputer says that they will face capitulation over the next seven games, picking up just 10 points to drop into third. As a result, the Trotters are tipped to pip their promotion rivals to that all-important runner-up spot."

https://therealefl.co.uk/2024/03/19/heartbreak-for-derby-county-joy-for-lincoln-city-final-league-one-table-predicted/

Is their supercomputer based in Horwich by any chance?

10 hours ago, admira said:

There are a few '6 pointers' remaining:

29/03 Stevenage v Bolton

02/04 Portsmouth v Derby

09/04 Stevenage v Barnsley

13/04 Bolton v Portsmouth

13/04 Oxford v Peterborough

16/04 Oxford v Lincoln

16/04 Portsmouth v Barnsley

20/04 Oxford v Stevenage

27/04 Lincoln v Portsmouth

27/04 Peterborough v Bolton

Stevenage need to find to form, to do us a favour, they have'nt won for 4 games.

10 hours ago, admira said:

More like ZX81