Do you go to other games when you cant watch the Rams?

uttoxram75

Last week Derby played away at Brizzle Rovers so not everyone could go. I know of two young Rams  ST holders who went to Preston North End with their Stoke City supporting mates for a "day out".

I sort of get it that you cant get to see your team but you love the day out on the razz anyway just wondered if this is a common thing to do nowadays?

Occasionally Belper Town or The Ewes.  Belper is a Lovely ground.  I’m at the back at PP so get a great view, but none of the noise from the players.  Watching lower league l hear every crunch of a tackle, every sweary argument, all the passion and commitment close-up.  A totally different fan experience.

Towards the end of last season I went to a big game at Tamworth (I know, glory hunter 😀) as Derby were away and Tamworth is just about walking distance. I’ve been trying to find another this season (after getting promoted last season Tamworth are now sitting well clear at the top of the NL North so, glory hunter x 2).

Went to Chesterfield many years ago when the Rams didn't have a game - stopped by the poice on the way to the ground and asked if we were home or away - when we told him we were Derby fans who just wanted to see a game, he told us we must be crakcers to go and watch 'that lot'....

tried it a couple of times with lancaster city when I lived up there but really not for me. I regularly play on the pitches next to york city's new stadium but never really fancied going and that's not just because they're rubbish. I'd struggle to justify spending good money to simply watch football as a spectacle and nothing else as a live product. From my experience if there's no stake in it for you it feels quite weird going to a game. That's just me though 🙂

I watch AS Roma a handful of times a season, been my second team since univeristy. I actually probably watch them both live as often as one another as I don't live in Derby. When their anthem goes before a big game...just wow, to be honest I can't even compare a Derby experience like that, its goosebumps. So it fulfils a different aspect for me.

Back in the day I'd wander down to Alfreton, I dont do it quite so much now. Given how expensive things are I struggle to justify the expense for one mistress (Derby) without adding another when I get a week 'off'.

I know there are other parks football to watch, but I tend to struggle if there was no team to particularly support (or hate).

Wrong thread!

But for clarity I sometimes go watch Sheffield Hallam at Sandygate. £7 in, always have good beer on and the people who run it are very friendly. Usually some decent games but you can be thrown by a borefest sometimes. The other down side is that I’ve seen home fans berate refs who are doing a decent job 

Would like to do Matlock occasionally but it’s like £12 entry. 

Edited by TuffLuff

As an expat, I occasionally visit Ajax. I no longer visit my local club, where I both played and, later, coached, as they moved from playing on a Sunday to the Saturday and their times coincide with Derby. 

Used to be that we had the younger juniors play on Saturday and the seniors on Sunday. We lost many a talented young players when they reached 13 as they were from "Nederlands Gereformeerd Kerken" families and for them the Sunday is sacrosanct. They're not allowed to play. 5km down the road was a Saturday club so they moved there. Also social attitudes have changed and the U18s started moving down the road as well to play Saturdays so their play wasn't affected by their Saturday nights out. The club moved to 100% Saturday and the exodus has stopped.

Tbh ive gone off football abit. i only watch derby and england games. dont really keep up with prem anymore or watch match of the day. Its become to expensive for me personally and cant go to that many games

Not now - Rams only but when I moved into the East Midlands in 1978 with my job and living just outside Coalville, I would spend Saturday afternoons watching Derby, Coventry, Notts, Leicester or (for my sins) Florist - which ever match looked the most interesting.

By 1979 it was Derby and only Derby - the only times I've seen these other sides play since then have been against us.

When I was living near Southampton back in the late 80s, I went to watch Southampton play Everton at the Dell with a couple of Belfast lads I was working with who wanted to see Everton play. We turned up on the day and went in the away section. Everton were one of the best teams in the country at that time and gave Southampton a proper spanking in the first half, racing into a 4-0 lead. After 68 minutes, Southampton brought on a promising young player, a couple of weeks short of his 20th birthday, called Matthew Le Tissier. For the next 30-odd minutes, Everton chased him around the pitch trying to get the ball off him. Neither he nor his teammates scored, but we got an early glimpse of a major talent. Little did we realise that day, that over 30 years later that same talented young man would turn into a right d*******.