Paul Warne

Day

11 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

...Would I be looking forward to the game tomorrow more if we had, say, prime gung-ho Harry Redknapp in charge? Of course I would. Do I think prime Harry Redknapp would stand a better chance of keeping us up? I don't. I think it would be a great watch - and a more enjoyable season.....until it ended in relegation as a result of being picked off on the counter each week by better players.

Similar arguments to last year - do we want to be entertained with free-flowing football and/or watch the team achieve their goal at the end of the season? Last year I thought we should have done both. This season I don't see how it's possible.

As for Barrow......excruciating......we should have put on a show and won convincingly with that gulf in class!

I see no reason why that is a given. We got picked off at Blackburn because of the way Warne set us up - Wilson is never a fullback, certainly not away from home. He's never given real regards to the midfield set up preferring to 'get the ball wide and across'. But the midfield now has a plethora of DMs and almost no creativity. We're short on strikers but we have enough now Yates is back to have a decent 4-3-3 set up. What are the chances of Warne playing it? And even if he played it what are the chances of him sticking with it for more than 75 minutes. We can never get players used to a system and knowing where other players will be to make passing to them and playing it forward easier. I'm sure it's a terribly old-fashioned way of playing but football can be quite a simple game.

I still think we've good enough players - if they can stay fit - the impediment is the manager. 

24 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I find the strength of feeling against Paul Warne a bit perplexing. He's the first manager to get us promoted since Billy Davies. I suspect that he's got a lower net spend than any Derby manager since Tim Ward.

He's earned the right to a crack at the Championship and I believe the amount of criticism he gets is deeply unfair. Barrow was appalling, but every season throws up a couple of really bad performances. Pep's game would be a lot less beautiful if he had £1.82 to spend. 

It's not all that perplexing. The football is just dull and that is always likely to alienate people. People only tolerate that football if we're winning.

I just wonder what posters are missing, Let me see if this works.

Competitive Competitive Competitive Budget.

I understand both the word competitive(as good as or better than others of a comparable nature) and budget(an estimate of income and expenditure for a set period of time)

Players today imo and through their agents want MONEY the more the better, Are they really bothered about playing to a full house or have 1st class training facilities?

PW has missed out on some players, PW has chased others only to see them go elsewhere, Getting that player who we would hope score 20 goals + a season costs millions, Even lower league strikers cost circa £1 million and change

Reports of £1.4 for JWZ, £600k + for Adams and €820k for Goudmijn add wages/agents fees has our competitive budget coming to an end.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's not all that perplexing. The football is just dull and that is always likely to alienate people. People only tolerate that football if we're winning.

What if the choice, given the funds available, is between successful pragmaticism or pretty failure? 

3 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Players today imo and through their agents want MONEY the more the better, Are they really bothered about playing to a full house or have 1st class training facilities? PW has missed out on some players, PW has chased others only to see them go elsewhere, Getting that player who we would hope score 20 goals + a season costs millions, Even lower league strikers cost circa £1 million and change

Reports of £1.4 for JWZ, £600k + for Adams and €820k for Goudmijn add wages/agents fees has our competitive budget coming to an end.

I can't believe that anyone would think that (plus wages) would be a competitive budget. And if it was meant to be then you have to question its spending. Oh and of course players want money, why shouldn't they. 

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

But that isn't the choice. There isn't two binary options to choose from. We could have a different approach and still have success.

Why? Good footballer cost more money. We could replace Warne with 50 different managers and they could all fail. 

I understand the critiques of the playing style, but not the vitriol from so many of our fans for our successful manager. Given the apparent lack of funds, I'd say that changing to a manager who plays possession football would likely lead to relegation and a lengthy stay in League 1.

20 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Why? Good footballer cost more money. We could replace Warne with 50 different managers and they could all fail. 

I understand the critiques of the playing style, but not the vitriol from so many of our fans for our successful manager. Given the apparent lack of funds, I'd say that changing to a manager who plays possession football would likely lead to relegation and a lengthy stay in League 1.

You're just guessing though. We're looking likely for relegation regardless, a long term build with possession is more palatable to a lot of fans. You can play possession football with our current squad. 

The idea that the outcome is decided if we played another style is as silly as claiming this style is nailed on to keep us up.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You're just guessing though. We're looking likely for relegation regardless, a long term build with possession is more palatable to a lot of fans. You can play possession football with our current squad. 

The idea that the outcome is decided if we played another style is as silly as claiming this style is nailed on to keep us up.

I am not guessing that Paul Warne got us promoted and a few weeks later, a vocal minority are calling for his head. I could understand it if he'd spent millions or been standing still for several years, but in this context, it's just bizarre. 

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

I am not guessing that Paul Warne got us promoted and a few weeks later, a vocal minority are calling for his head. I could understand it if he'd spent millions or been standing still for several years, but in this context, it's just bizarre. 

Why? His style of football is dire. His record in the Championship is poor. His recruitment is ordinary.

3 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Because the football so far has been shocking. People have genuine doubts on if he can actually keep us up or take us further, and they're bored of us being the underdog irregardless of the opposition.

His style of football got us promoted. 

His record in the Championship with Derby County is OK, given the net spend.

His recruitment got us promoted. Judging this season's recruitment as poor is more premature than a 16 year old in Bubbles.

19 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

His style of football got us promoted. 

His record in the Championship with Derby County is OK, given the net spend.

His recruitment got us promoted. Judging this season's recruitment as poor is more premature than a 16 year old in Bubbles.

So it worked in league one. That has no impact on its success in the championship, which so far has a number of relegations of the track record. 

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

I'm not full Warne out myself and i like him as a person.

But the more i look at his record and what he brings to the table the more i steer towards wanting him gone. Of course others are willing to give him a bit longer, but on the Warne out/in spectrum there will be those who think he's the right man for the job 100%, so i guess my post is aimed at them.

My position is he’s the right man at the right time and I think it’s really important to balance those two factors but as you say others will have they’re view , I actually think the forum is settling a little bit as there’s a balance now with negative and positive posts and most people not needing to impose they’re view on others 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

So it worked in league one. That has no impact on its success in the championship, which so far has a number of relegations of the track record. 

I do struggle to see how managers have a 'ceiling' in all honesty, he was promoted in league one because he had a budget that afforded him to compete towards the top end. In the Championship, he had the smallest budget in the league but as I said: was competitive in each season - two points off safety in one season, four in another. 

Rotherham in their first full season without Warne finished 24 points off safety in the Championship to give a little context.

For me, that's actually an insight to show the job he did at Rotherham was nothing short of excellent. He got the most out of the players he had, he recruited well and kept them on task. All qualities we will need from him this season. 

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why? His style of football is dire. His record in the Championship is poor. His recruitment is ordinary.

You think his style of football is dire and really that’s the crux of it but the truth is you don’t go to games so I’m not really sure you have much to complain about , I like many many others shell out for 2 season tickets and do a 6 hour round trip , if I was clowes I know who I would be most bothered about , and before the half fan ect moans roll out it’s just the cold hard truth 

40 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because the football so far has been shocking. People have genuine doubts on if he can actually keep us up or take us further, and they're bored of us being the underdog irregardless of the opposition.

The vital bit your missing is     SOME people