Does Warne deserve the vitriol aimed at him?

8 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Totally agree with this. I can't really remember any actual personal abuse directed at Warne on this board, it's all been comments about the football we play.

Anyway, let's all hope we get something positive to talk about at 5pm today.

I could find you several posts calling him a tw*t or similar.

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Of course, he doesn't deserve vitriol (nobody does) but he does warrant constructive criticism.

Don't confuse the two.

Far too many people here confuse the two. I really like Warne as a man, for what it's worth. Absolutely huge respect for the charity work him and his coaching staff too.

Imagine thinking that disagreeing with how a manager sets up a football team is somehow vitriolic. Madness.

Edited by oodledoodle

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Constructive criticism?

Like fans calling for him to go despite winning 11 in 16?

The criticism is for the style of play, the tactics, the team selection, often not reacting to the way a game is panning out.

Even with the budget caps, we are well resourced in this league, the attendances are high and the squad is one of the best in the division.

"Won 11 in 16".

I'm reminded about Revie asking Clough how he could improve Leeds because "Brian, last season we only lost three games".

Clough replied "by only losing two".

Maybe if our performances had been better, we'd be winning more than "11 in 16".

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Constructive criticism?

Like fans calling for him to go despite winning 11 in 16?

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

The criticism is for the style of play, the tactics, the team selection, often not reacting to the way a game is panning out.

Even with the budget caps, we are well resourced in this league, the attendances are high and the squad is one of the best in the division.

"Won 11 in 16".

I'm reminded about Revie asking Clough how he could improve Leeds because "Brian, last season we only lost three games".

Clough replied "by only losing two".

Maybe if our performances had been better, we'd be winning more than "11 in 16".

11 in 15 actually 👍

I think perhaps 'vitriol' overstates the case, but there's been enough not so pleasant stuff, midst the more reasonable critique and I think that's the point being made. He's just a man trying to do a job and it seems he works hard enough, so my sole real criticism relates to his stubbornness; we've seen repeatedly that when we deploy more bodies in midfield and try to play to feet that we can prosper, yet the default still remains a less than dynamic 2 which can be overrun at times. Does that or our league position warrant the flak? I guess that's down to the individual, but for all the criticism, the fact remains we sit one point off the autos.

If I'd been offered this at the start of the season with 17 games to make that step into the top two, I'd have have bitten your hands off, but I'd dearly love to see some coming back from injury, as I do think that might make all the difference. Yes, every team has them but we're up to double figures now and some have barely kicked a ball all season. Hopefully lady luck will be kinder as we move into the final third  🙏

Edited by Comrade 86
typos