Conor Coventry - signed by Charlton

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

Wha'dya know. He played for Warne last year at Rotherham.

Let's just call ourselves Rotherham B.

#NeedSomeScouts

He joined Rotherham in January 2023 until the end of the championship season….while Paul Warne was managing, erm….Derby County.

It’s a rumour but turning our noses up at a player joining from a premier league club just because he played for Rotherham last year seems strange to me 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

22 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

#NeedSomeScouts

How many ex Rotherham players do we have?  Out of the 12 senior players Paul Warne has brought to the club we have the grand total of………. 2 (Vickers & Washington)

Not even enough to make a Rotherham B 5 a-side team.

I think you’re getting confused with lazy journalists linking us with ex Rotherham players and who we are actually interested in.  

33 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

#NeedSomeScouts

Bristol City have more ex-Derby players than Derby have ex-Rotherham players.

They may as well call themselves Derby B. Must be because Nigel Pearson used to be their manager.

#NeedSomeScouts

7 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

How many ex Rotherham players do we have?  Out of the 12 senior players Paul Warne has brought to the club we have the grand total of………. 2 (Vickers & Washington)

Not even enough to make a Rotherham B 5 a-side team.

I think you’re getting confused with lazy journalists linking us with ex Rotherham players and who we are actually interested in.  

Loach was there for 14/15 but was also loaned out during the season - making it 3 for Rotherham.

Cardiff, Hull, Lincoln, Sheff Utd, Sheff Weds, Shrewsbury, Sunderland, Swansea and Wigan are also represented by having 3 former players in our squad.
However, there are 5 clubs represented by more players: Ipswich and Peterborough (both 5), Barnsley, Blackpool and Plymouth (all 4).

Doesn't seem like a top quality loan to me, just going on his track record. Would he be better than Harvey White? Would he be better than our current midfield options? Who knows. Could of course be just pure journalistic speculation and fabrication as Arthur used to say   

12 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Doesn't seem like a top quality loan to me, just going on his track record. Would he be better than Harvey White? Would he be better than our current midfield options? Who knows. Could of course be just pure journalistic speculation and fabrication as Arthur used to say   

What would be a top quality loan in your eyes? Remember we are in League One and not the Championship anymore. 

Useful stats provided above. Seems like a good option in the DM slot.

I like the fact he's 23, has some Championship experience, and holds the record for Ireland U21 caps. Potential resale value.

Korey Smith will be gone this summer (God willing) so he could be a steelier, tackle-ier, younger upgrade.

His contract expires this summer so would we get him on a free? This article from Sept 2023 confirmed he would be let go. https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-united-futures-of-conor-coventry-and-ben-johnson-have-been-decided/

Also, an interesting entry from his Wiki page: "He was called up to the Republic of Ireland senior squad for the first time in March 2021, replacing the injured Conor Hourihane in the squad for the World Cup Qualification matches against Serbia and Luxembourg and a friendly against Qatar, although did not make an appearance."

1 hour ago, Srg said:

What would be a top quality loan in your eyes? Remember we are in League One and not the Championship anymore. 

I don't know but I think we should be finding our own players and then developing them like Peterborough do. If we do take a loan then the player has to be better than Bird, Fornah, Thompson, Hourihane, Smith and Sibley. If Warne and Thomas think he is then fair enough. Just seen Gabby's post above which he was obviously typing as I typed mine that gives ground for belief he might be a permanent signing, if so then great  

Edited by Gerry Daly

9 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Useful stats provided above. Seems like a good option in the DM slot.

I like the fact he's 23, has some Championship experience, and holds the record for Ireland U21 caps. Potential resale value.

Korey Smith will be gone this summer (God willing) so he could be a steelier, tackle-ier, younger upgrade.

His contract expires this summer so would we get him on a free? This article from Sept 2023 confirmed he would be let go. https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-united-futures-of-conor-coventry-and-ben-johnson-have-been-decided/

Also, an interesting entry from his Wiki page: "He was called up to the Republic of Ireland senior squad for the first time in March 2021, replacing the injured Conor Hourihane in the squad for the World Cup Qualification matches against Serbia and Luxembourg and a friendly against Qatar, although did not make an appearance."

Potential resale value vital 😊

35 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Witcoop is less reliable than the ITK's on here. Shouldn't even be considered credible source of information regarding Derby until he gets one right to complement his 57 wrong. 

Reminds me of……

4 hours ago, Srg said:

John Gregory - how did we get him to move to the third division 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

John Gregory - how did we get him to move to the third division 

With all due respect, he signed what, 39 years ago? Football is vastly different.