League Football

Bris Vegas

Since the e-vapers went trick or treating at David’s house we have only played 3 league games.

3 league games in five and a half weeks.

The international break, League Cup, FA Cup lower rounds and the Pizza Cup have seriously disrupted the only competition that matters.

Now we can fully focus on league football again the excitement can resume.

Derby won’t lose another game from now until March when we will be sitting in the top two.

Heard it here first.

In another post you advocate replacing PW and state he is struggling. Maybe I'm a cynical, but this seems to be a placeholder post ready for any failings between now and the end of the season, with the rationale of this is the poorest league for years etc...etc 

Hopefully not though and maybe everyone is finally getting behind the manager and team 🤨

6 hours ago, Returning ram said:

In another post you advocate replacing PW and state he is struggling. Maybe I'm a cynical, but this seems to be a placeholder post ready for any failings between now and the end of the season, with the rationale of this is the poorest league for years etc...etc 

Hopefully not though and maybe everyone is finally getting behind the manager and team 🤨

Everyone is behind the team. That's why everyone was unhappy that Warne hasn't won more than he has.

We are on a roll at the moment. Long may it continue.

17 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

Everyone is behind the team. That's why everyone was unhappy that Warne hasn't won more than he has.

Not so sure on that, I've seen posts on social media wanting us to lose so we could get rid of PW, even seen another that states let's hope we get promoted so he can get found out.

i suppose it depends on the definition of getting behind the team...

Edited by Returning ram
Spelling

3 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Not so sure on that, I've seen posts on social media wanting us to lose so we could get rid of PW, even seen another that states let's hope we get promoted so he can get found out.

Wanting us to lose to prove a point is actual cave man logic.

4 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Your hyperbole filter maybe on the blink. 

On 06/12/2023 at 01:39, Bris Vegas said:

The international break, League Cup, FA Cup lower rounds and the Pizza Cup have seriously disrupted the only competition that matters.

Totally agree, I'd previously said that the only positive of being in lousy L1 was that we would be playing every Saturday at 3pm. Crazy that games in the 3rd tier are postponed for international breaks. 

41 minutes ago, europia said:

Totally agree, I'd previously said that the only positive of being in lousy L1 was that we would be playing every Saturday at 3pm. Crazy that games in the 3rd tier are postponed for international breaks. 

It’s completely unfair on the smaller teams too who have smaller squads.

The late season fixture pile up will hurt them a lot more and they aren’t the reason why games are postponed. 

On 06/12/2023 at 00:39, Bris Vegas said:

Since the e-vapers went trick or treating at David’s house we have only played 3 league games.

3 league games in five and a half weeks.

Now we can fully focus on league football again the excitement can resume.

Derby won’t lose another game from now until March when we will be sitting in the top two.

Heard it here first.

Hi B4, it's good to see your soul can inhabit even our most cynical of users.  Keep up the good posthumous work

On 06/12/2023 at 16:21, oodledoodle said:

Slightly confused how someone can be ''behind the team'' when calling for the manager to be sacked? The manager is part of the team, more than that, he is the leader of the team, if you're calling for his head then how are you in any way ''behind'' them as a whole, you're opposed to them at that point, no?

This winning streak always seemed likely to happen to me, hence why I've consistently stated patience was needed. But others let impatient petulance creep in. I wonder whether those folk have learned something from this spell about not speaking too soon, especially when voicing negativity.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Slightly confused how someone can be ''behind the team'' when calling for the manager to be sacked? The manager is part of the team, more than that, he is the leader of the team, if you're calling for his head then how are you in any way ''behind'' them as a whole, you're opposed to them at that point, no?

This winning streak always seemed likely to happen to me, hence why I've consistently stated patience was needed. But others let impatient petulance creep in. I wonder whether those folk have learned something from this spell about not speaking too soon, especially when voicing negativity.

Speaking too soon also goes both ways and doesn't just apply to negativity. There were similar themes banded about when we went on the unbeaten run last season, with some calling others out for their doubts and criticisms earlier in the season as if they'd been proven wrong by our good spell.

Surely you have to wonder if those people have learned anything about speaking too soon, too? Although I'd suggest it's the opposite and the number of people looking to use our positive form against other posters has actually increased.

I think it's perfectly possible to support the team during games, want them to win and be happy in the short term (even if it's just in the immediate aftermath) with positive results and performances, while still holding the belief that the manager has serious limitations which will hold us back in the long run, and feel that he isn't developing tactically or actually building anything toward a more sustainable future, be that the playing style, meaningful minutes given to Academy players or whatever else.

I believe a winning streak was always likely to happen because the league and most teams in it are terrible (even 'good' ones are nothing special, as we've seen when we've played them), because we've got a better squad (even with injuries, even with some signings offering little) than most, and because the manager we employ is a promotion expert who's seemingly being allowed to focus purely on achieving just that, and I mean just that, making his job pretty straightforward.

If I was assessing Warne on the sole criteria of "do we look like mounting a serious promotion challenge?" (which is the least we should be looking at) and was to cast aside any thoughts about his overall suitability for the longer term challenge of establishing ourselves back in the Championship then IMO he's performing at a solid 7.5-8/10, and I'd probably agree that all we need is patience.

Edited by May Contain Nuts