Your England team

sage

43 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So what is your pick then @sage?

Some of this is without much enthusiasm....

Pickford

Walker       Stones    Guehi     Trippier

Rice

JWP                  Bellingham 

Saka                  Kane                Rashford

Back up

Pope

James       Dunk       Maguire     Shaw

Kalvin-Phillips 

TAA                  Maddison

Foden                 Toney            Watkins

That is based on trying to balance the side, i like a dribbler one side and a wide forward the other. 

I don't think Pickford or JWP and maybe Guehi are good enough but they are weak areas of the team. As Bellingham is probably our best player, I wouldn't want to reduce his potential by having to cover Maddison or Foden.

2 hours ago, sage said:

Pickford

Rice

Back up

Pope

Kalvin-Phillips 

That is based on trying to balance the side, i like a dribbler one side and a wide forward the other. 

I don't think Pickford or JWP and maybe Guehi are good enough but they are weak areas of the team. As Bellingham is probably our best player, I wouldn't want to reduce his potential by having to cover Maddison or Foden.

I think on current form, a CB pair of Maguire and dunk would need 2 dms in front to offer more stability and protection against stronger teams.

Thankfully in the Euros there don't seem to be many other than France.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think on current form, a CB pair of Maguire and dunk would need 2 dms in front to offer more stability and protection against stronger teams.

Thankfully in the Euros there don't seem to be many other than France.

Quite possibly. They are the squad players. You could make a case for Tomori but I don't see him play at club level.

4 hours ago, sage said:

Pickford

Rice

Back up

Pope

Kalvin-Phillips 

For the 8 in a 433 I would have had mason mount of 2 or 3 seasons ago but he's totally lost his way. Maybe Gallagher will come good or one can come through from the youth.

One thing Southgate has done is bring a few youngsters through.

On 21/11/2023 at 13:20, AndyinLiverpool said:

He seems like a lightweight. When things are going poorly, it's like he's notplaying.

We'd lose way more than we'd gain by moving the best midfielder in the world out of position to accommodate Maddison. He's light years behind Bellingham and Foden.

My Spurs supporting mate explained it to me like this, "He might not get the goal or the assist, but he is always involved in whatever lead to a goal or assist. He ties it all together."

Now, do I think we should move Bellingham to accommodate him? Absolutely not. On current form, Bellingham is among the best players on the planet. You play him in whichever position he is most comfortable and most likely to win you games, as he has been doing for Madrid. 

On 21/11/2023 at 13:20, AndyinLiverpool said:

He seems like a lightweight. When things are going poorly, it's like he's notplaying.

We'd lose way more than we'd gain by moving the best midfielder in the world out of position to accommodate Maddison. He's light years behind Bellingham and Foden.

Fair point about Bellingham but I think the lightweight bit is harsh.  Could of my mates are Leicester STH’s and I watched a bit of them on Sky last season just for the banter and if it wasn’t for him they’d have been dead and buried well before the season ended.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If Southgate doesn’t fancy Gordon or Sterling then LW is a weak area too.

Many people are either picking Foden out on the left which would limit his ability big time or picking Rashford who is hugely overrated.

I had him as a "false 11".

Well, if it's good enough for the 9s why should the other positions miss out.....

Pickford

Walker      Stones         Dunk       Lewis 

Trent A-A   Rice

Saka         Bellingham    Foden

Kane 

Id happily have Maguire in this team, also Chilwell, Sterling, Maddison, Palmer, Grealish and Rashford at his best (he was excellent against Italy poor the other night as many others were)

13 hours ago, dabber said:

It would be fascinating if AI/ChatGPT could accurately compare this team to modern day versions

I'd wager that just about any modern English version would defeat Sir Alf's side, based upon fitness alone.

Pickford

Walker       Stones      Guehi      Chilwell

Ward-Prowse     Rice

Bellingham

Saka             Kane              Foden

Will plead ignorance in respect to any better LBs, I like Trip' but need a left footer out there especially because I've not picked a wide left player.

I've gone with Foden, who I think is going to suffer from the Scholes issue; in that I want him in and so will find a place to fit him in the side, but solving the left side issue reduces their effectiveness. 

16 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Pickford

Walker       Stones      Guehi      Chilwell

Ward-Prowse     Rice

Bellingham

Saka             Kane              Foden

Will plead ignorance in respect to any better LBs, I like Trip' but need a left footer out there especially because I've not picked a wide left player.

I've gone with Foden, who I think is going to suffer from the Scholes issue; in that I want him in and so will find a place to fit him in the side, but solving the left side issue reduces their effectiveness. 

I thought about the Tripper issue, but i like having an overlapper on one side and an inverted full back/ midfielder on the other 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I'd wager that just about any modern English version would defeat Sir Alf's side, based upon fitness alone.

To even it up, they could have the modern England version train 1960s style for a month.....

20 woodbines a day, pie and chips before a game, kickabouts on 6" of mud and a few pints after training.

On 24/11/2023 at 14:37, Eddie said:

If Alf's players were subject to modern training and fitness regimes they'd be better. 

Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton were world class, the best in the world in their respective positions for most of their careers.