Glass half full!

Paultheram

This squad is plenty good enough to escape this league, other managers regularly speak of being envious even ones at clubs above us. I don't really give much creedance to this average age stat this season. The way the team are playing doesn't really correlate to age, we aren't fading in the last 10 we just aren't turning up half the games we play.

26 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

This squad is plenty good enough to escape this league, other managers regularly speak of being envious even ones at clubs above us. I don't really give much creedance to this average age stat this season. The way the team are playing doesn't really correlate to age, we aren't fading in the last 10 we just aren't turning up half the games we play.

Why? 😊

Edited by The Last Post

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

The operative word being challenge, with less than half the season gone and a position just outside the play offs whose to say we won’t challenge

Nope. I didn't quote, I paraphrased. Here's the quote:

"I think it's good enough to get us out of the league" Derby County owner David Clowes talks about Paul Warne's transfer budget this summer.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Seems the cost of Plymouths promotion season was about 18 million quid .  They lost 3.5 million last season. 

Not sure how that compares with us last season or does this season.

Seeing as they sold a player to Ipswich and had not much in the way of purchases, it's more than I thought. 

The important bit is the £9.1m wage bill (which includes promotion bonuses)

9 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Might be something to do with a manager that admits in interviews he can't motivate the players, who knows.

Why would they turn up for the other half then?

Genuine question as I missed it, have the got a link to or a copy of the actual quote when he said he can’t motivate the players?

2 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Probably until EFL sanctions no longer affect us. There are around 12 players who's contracts are due to expire as we could only offer short contracts thus limiting who we could attract to the Club. We start again ...again. 

That's not necessary though is it, nor even maybe desireable. Unless Warne fails and hasn't been replaced.

Edited by RoyMac5

31 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Probably until EFL sanctions no longer affect us. There are around 12 players who's contracts are due to expire as we could only offer short contracts thus limiting who we could attract to the Club. We start again ...again. 

Would you not extend most of those deals? 4 were given 1 year (or less) contracts in the summer.
Players in the last year being: Wildsmith, Loach, Cashin, Forsyth, Nyambe, Smith, Thompson, Bird, Hourihane, Sibley, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Waghorn, Collins

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Would you not extend most of those deals? 4 were given 1 year (or less) contracts in the summer.
Players in the last year being: Wildsmith, Loach, Cashin, Forsyth, Nyambe, Smith, Thompson, Bird, Hourihane, Sibley, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Waghorn, Collins

I suppose that's a question for another thread really, but...

Wildsmith - Yes.
Forsyth - Yes if we stay down, but there's only so much mileage left in him and i don't think he can do it at Championship level anymore.
Thompson - Yes. Plenty to prove still.
Mendez-Laing - Yes.

Cashin - Would offer but he'll leave unless we're promoted, might not even be here in February.
Bird - Same as Cashin.
Nyambe - See Cashin & Bird.
Sibley - Would offer, and he'd probably accept, but I think it's in his best interests to move on tbh because there's clearly a bit of a stigma attached to him here.

Loach - No. There doesn't seem any point when we could give that 3rd GK position to one of our highly regarded academy keepers.
Smith - No. The most 'nothing' player I think I've ever seen, although I suppose at that's 'something.
Hourihane - No. Legs have gone, needs a team who can carry him and who'll play him a bit further forward, where he can create without having to worry about anything else.
Barkhuizen - No. Ineffectual. We can get better value elsewhere.
Waghorn - No. His impact has waned massively already with him struggling to stay fit. Another season would one one too far.
Collins - Maybe but probably not. Can be useful, but I'd look to would replace with more of a traditional target man to fit with Warne's style.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

22 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I suppose that's a question for another thread really, but...

Wildsmith - Yes.
Forsyth - Yes if we stay down, but there's only so much mileage left in him and i don't think he can do it at Championship level anymore.
Thompson - Yes. Plenty to prove still.
Mendez-Laing - Yes.

Cashin - Would offer but he'll leave unless we're promoted, might not even be here in February.
Bird - Same as Cashin.
Nyambe - See Cashin & Bird.
Sibley - Would offer, and he'd probably accept, but I think it's in his best interests to move on tbh because there's clearly a bit of a stigma attached to him here.

Loach - No. There doesn't seem any point when we could give that 3rd GK position to one of our highly regarded academy keepers.
Smith - No. The most 'nothing' player I think I've ever seen, although I suppose at that's 'something.
Hourihane - No. Legs have gone, needs a team who can carry him and who'll play him a bit further forward, where he can create without having to worry about anything else.
Barkhuizen - No. Ineffectual. We can get better value elsewhere.
Waghorn - No. His impact has waned massively already with him struggling to stay fit. Another season would one one too far.
Collins - Maybe but probably not. Can be useful, but I'd look to would replace with more of a traditional target man to fit with Warne's style.

@Wignall12 made this comment in relation to why he beleives it'll be a "slow fix" to rebuild the club. "Probably until EFL sanctions no longer affect us. There are around 12 players who's contracts are due to expire as we could only offer short contracts thus limiting who we could attract to the Club. We start again ...again."

You've listed 8 players you'd want to keep and 6 you'd let go. Inevitably, some that you want to keep will decide their future is better elsewhere, so we may be looking at 10 players to replace anyway. As I posted the other day, the majority of clubs in L1 make at least 12 new signings every summer. I think only 2 made fewer than 10 in the summer just gone. It then raises another question, why does that mean it's a slow rebuild for us, but business as usual for every other club in the league?

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yes I would be trying to extend deals but maybe others can offer deals beyond us , I hope not but you know the Vultures will be out

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

@Wignall12 made this comment in relation to why he beleives it'll be a "slow fix" to rebuild the club. "Probably until EFL sanctions no longer affect us. There are around 12 players who's contracts are due to expire as we could only offer short contracts thus limiting who we could attract to the Club. We start again ...again."

You've listed 8 players you'd want to keep and 6 you'd let go. Inevitably, some that you want to keep will decide their future is better elsewhere, so we may be looking at 10 players to replace anyway. As I posted the other day, the majority of clubs in L1 make at least 12 new signings every summer. I think only 2 made fewer than 10 in the summer just gone. It then raises another question, why does that mean it's a slow rebuild for us, but business as usual for every other club in the league?

We've had limitations imposed on length of contracts , wages and on paying fees for players , not sure when we are clear of all those restrictions but it certainly hasn't been business as usual for us.

10 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

We've had limitations imposed on length of contracts , wages and on paying fees for players , not sure when we are clear of all those restrictions but it certainly hasn't been business as usual for us.

Well we could pay transfer fees (but chose not to) and gave some 3 year deals, so it seems business as usual?

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well we could pay transfer fees (but chose not to) and gave some 3 year deals, so it seems business as usual?

Limited transfer fees ....and don't forget you get what you pay for, we were never going to get Messi for sixpence and a gob stopper were we ?

22 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Limited transfer fees ....and don't forget you get what you pay for, we were never going to get Messi for sixpence and a gob stopper were we ?

Do you think the budget will change much next year to take into account our 'ability' to pay more, or is the budget the budget and where you spend it is the point?

Edited by RoyMac5

36 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you think the budget will change much next year to take into account our 'ability' to pay more, or is the budget the budget and where you spend it is the point?

Not sure it's a case of our "ability" to pay more more a case of what the EFL consider we should be allowed to spend following our "transgressions " . But you are correct in that it needs to be spent wisely and in the right area. I'm trusting Warne to do that. And no , I'm not a happy clapper , just a little more realistic than some extremely impatient short sighted people with a bad case of memory loss as to where we've been and why

4 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Not sure it's a case of our "ability" to pay more more a case of what the EFL consider we should be allowed to spend following our "transgressions " . But you are correct in that it needs to be spent wisely and in the right area. I'm trusting Warne to do that. And no , I'm not a happy clapper , just a little more realistic than some extremely impatient short sighted people with a bad case of memory loss as to where we've been and why

Our "ability to pay more" is set by Clowes, not the EFL.
The decision to not use any of our budget on transfer fees in the summer and put it all towards wages was Warne's decision.

How big do you think our budget needs to be to earn promotion? Clowes thinks it's enough already. Historic figures from other clubs suggest we'll have a top 3 budget for the current season, even though the decision was made not to spend any of it on transfer fees.

Last season, Plymouth won promotion with 101 points with a £10m budget - £9.1m on wages (inclusive of promotion bonuses) and £900k on fees. Our wage budget will be higher (even excluding promotion bonuses), and we also spent 150% more on agent fees than they did.