Darren Robinson

On the Ram Page

I was looking forward to seeing Darren Robinson play last night and was initially disappointed he was playing right back. I was also disappointed about his lack of positivity. He hit a few passes to Wilson on the wing but the majority of the time passed back to Bradley and occasionally across to Cashin. It was almost as if he wasn’t confident enough to play forward passes. His defending was ok. I was disappointed at half time.

BUT as soon as Cashin & particularly Bradley was substituted he was a different player. He became very positive, bombed forward, crunching fair tackles, forward passing. Hugely impressive 2nd half and can see why they think he has a good future. Either someone told him to be more positive 2nd half or when the senior players went off he felt more comfortable and became the leader of the pack.

Very  impressed with him along with the other academy players.

My biggest concern with Warne has always been his obsession with “26-30 year olds”.

Competing financially in League 1 is easy with gates like ours but we’re not gonna compete in the championship on gates/external investment because it’s full of similar sized clubs

Our best chance of having success in the championship, in my opinion, is to bring through and retain academy talent into their prime

In a few years Bird, Cashin, Sibley will be entering that age.

Such a shame the likes of Whittaker and Knight (and the rest) had to leave 

1 hour ago, Jram said:

My biggest concern with Warne has always been his obsession with “26-30 year olds”.

Competing financially in League 1 is easy with gates like ours but we’re not gonna compete in the championship on gates/external investment because it’s full of similar sized clubs

Our best chance of having success in the championship, in my opinion, is to bring through and retain academy talent into their prime

In a few years Bird, Cashin, Sibley will be entering that age.

Such a shame the likes of Whittaker and Knight (and the rest) had to leave 

24 to 30 age group is the glue that teams need. We had none. All kids and wrinklies don't make for a top side.

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

We need to get promoted or this will be a constant for us. Any promising youngsters will be hoovered out

Villa seem to have a hotline to our academy, some rich, easy and local pickings to be had

Conor hourihane works with the Villa academy. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A problem caused by being limited to offering players a maximum of 2 year deals last season, and only 1 year deals the season before.

I'm hopeful that most youngsters have 1 year extension options on their deals though.

EFL have us bending over a barrel

Villa’s academy recruitment team will know about every child aged between 7 and 18 at every academy in the world. Let alone ones who play in the same country as them, who compete against them, and who represent their national team.

They’re obviously not interested in signing players from us because our captain, who coaches their U8’s or something, is telling them to.

I mean for goodness sake.

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

Villa’s academy recruitment team will know about every child aged between 7 and 18 at every academy in the world. Let alone ones who play in the same country as them, who compete against them, and who represent their national team.

They’re obviously not interested in signing players from us because our captain, who coaches their U8’s or something, is telling them to.

Your first sentence is a gross exaggeration but the general point you make is correct. However it easier for them at the moment to target our academy than it was when we were a strong championship club equal to them. We are in a vulnerable position

8 hours ago, nottingram said:

So Jordan Mutch just coincidentally joined Birmingham City after Terry Westley left derby and joined them, not because Terry told them to.