Derby County Versus Wolverhampton Wanderers U21 - Match Day Thread ( EFL Trophy )

S8TY

13 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Weston reminds me of Malcolm Christie, pace and can finish and good link up play with Collins for his third. All the youngsters look promising, where have they been hidden ?

I thought exactly the same thing Malcolm Christie clone, out of all the young lads Weston looks to have something 

28 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I listened to Matt Hamshaw's interview after the game. Few things I took from it.

The decision to play the academy players was only made Saturday/Sunday. I am glad they took the opportunity but it doesn't seem like any sense of long term planning was involved, which I find a bit disappointing.

As a first team coaching staff they have been surprised at how quickly the academy seems to have recovered and are much further on than expected.

I know some of us on here have been disappointed and concerned with the lack of chances for our youngsters. Could it be they had no intention of utilising those players to give time for the academy to settle?

Either way, I think last night was a great moment for the whole club. 0bviously the real test is Barnsley and I get the feeling that match is key to Warne and winning back over those who are wavering. Poor performance and result and all this goodwill drifts away again. Win, it feels like everything is slowly turning our way.

Great post. Very fair and your comments on the academy lads are very interesting. I have wondered myself whether the youngers were being given time to re-find their feet in the manner you outline and perhaps whether Warne's assumed indifference might actually mask something completely different. If the view is that they have bounced back (it'd be hard to argue otherwise), perhaps it was more a case of the 'shackles' coming off and a few more being given a chance, rather than just the odd one or two. As it is, I don't think they could have gone much better, save for DB whom I'm pretty certain will prove he is a deal better than he showed last night. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I've always had a view that the administration card was played too easily. Weston was an U21 singing, so I won't include him in the academy discussion. Based on year of being a 1st year scholar:
Played last night: Fapetu (CM) and DRobinson (CM, but played CB last night)
Lost during admin: Ryan (CB) to Brighton) and Eze (AM/W)
Played last night: Cox (CB), DBrown (CF), Wheeldon (CF)
Lost during admin: Kellyman (AM/W), Sharpe (RW), Scanlon (AM)
Played last night: Osayande (CB), Allen (CM)
Lost during admin: Kaba (CF)

Out of all of those who have left, only Kellyman would be closer to the first team than DRobinson.
In defence, Ryan would have been about on par with Cox (despite being a year older) and with no change to Osayande's game time in the U18s.
On the wings, there isn't much between Richards, Davidson, and Sharpe.
In midfield, there isn't much between Fapetu is further ahead in his development than Eze, Scanlon, and Allen, with him being the only one playing regularly at U21 level. I would also pick Allen as the one with the most potential.
Upfront, DBrown is the pick of the bunch, with neither Wheeldon nor Kaba playing U21 football on a regular basis.

We also lost Williams (2020 intake), who was on the fringes of the first team , as well as Buchanan (2017), Ebosele (2018), and Ebiowei (2021) who all left when their contracts expired. However, none would have been part of the U18/U21 squad at this point in time.

The goal aside, Collins was poor in that first half too as the balance wasn't there. It was no surprise Collins looked better in the 2nd half when paired with someone who naturally plays a bit deeper. It's a sham Brown hasn't had the opportunity in the first team to play with someone other than Collins.

Is this a full list of players lost during admin? I’m thinking sure Delap was one and that guy that went to Liverpool, Kade Gordon was it? 

7 minutes ago, Malty said:

Is this a full list of players lost during admin? I’m thinking sure Delap was one and that guy that went to Liverpool, Kade Gordon was it? 

Both left before admin. Delap was summer 2019 (2 years before admin), whilst Kaide Gordon was just after the Jan transfer window closed in 2021 (still several months before admin). To be fair, Scanlon, Sharpe and Kaba weren't lost during admin either - they left around the same time as Gordon.

2 hours ago, BondJovi said:

I listened to Matt Hamshaw's interview after the game. Few things I took from it.

The decision to play the academy players was only made Saturday/Sunday. I am glad they took the opportunity but it doesn't seem like any sense of long term planning was involved, which I find a bit disappointing.

As a first team coaching staff they have been surprised at how quickly the academy seems to have recovered and are much further on than expected.

I know some of us on here have been disappointed and concerned with the lack of chances for our youngsters. Could it be they had no intention of utilising those players to give time for the academy to settle?

Either way, I think last night was a great moment for the whole club. 0bviously the real test is Barnsley and I get the feeling that match is key to Warne and winning back over those who are wavering. Poor performance and result and all this goodwill drifts away again. Win, it feels like everything is slowly turning our way.

Possibly only involved when PW met Clowes just over a week ago. 

The hunger shown from the academy last night is what we’ve been missing in a lot of games. 

Players who want to excel and prove they are professional wannabe’s. Not some player who nearly past it who probably doesn’t give two hoots about DCFC. 

The excitement around the supporter base after seeing some of the younger lads is what being a supporter should be like. 

17 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Possibly only involved when PW met Clowes just over a week ago. 

The hunger shown from the academy last night is what we’ve been missing in a lot of games. 

Players who want to excel and prove they are professional wannabe’s. Not some player who nearly past it who probably doesn’t give two hoots about DCFC. 

The excitement around the supporter base after seeing some of the younger lads is what being a supporter should be like. 

Coincidence Shirley? But yeah some odd things been a-happening. 😄  #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5

Was at the game last night , really enjoyed it, youngsters getting a go, some good football and some well taken goals, I’d like to join in with the plaudits for Weston and Fapetu who both did very well , I’d also like to give a big shout out for Collo and Callum Elder who both led by example, well done lads

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Both left before admin. Delap was summer 2019 (2 years before admin), whilst Kaide Gordon was just after the Jan transfer window closed in 2021 (still several months before admin). To be fair, Scanlon, Sharpe and Kaba weren't lost during admin either - they left around the same time as Gordon.

I thought we lost players to Chelsea (maybe that was Williams) and Manchester United.

If we hadn't gone into Admin it is likely that Williams, Buchanan, Ebosele and Ebiowei would all be playing for us now, or at the very least we would have got a decent fee that would have been invested in the squad.

1 hour ago, Beetle said:

I thought we lost players to Chelsea (maybe that was Williams) and Manchester United.

If we hadn't gone into Admin it is likely that Williams, Buchanan, Ebosele and Ebiowei would all be playing for us now, or at the very least we would have got a decent fee that would have been invested in the squad.

Williams went to Chelsea in the January we were in administration, but he was a regular part of the matchday squad at that point.
The players who went to Man Utd were Scanlon, Sharpe and Kaba, but they all moved on months before we entered admin.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Williams went to Chelsea in the January we were in administration, but he was a regular part of the matchday squad at that point.
The players who went to Man Utd were Scanlon, Sharpe and Kaba, but they all moved on months before we entered admin.

Has the boy that went to Brighton done much these days? Seemed to be highly rated here.

5 hours ago, Beetle said:

One we didn't have to sell.  Good old Wayne advised him to go as it was too good an opportunity.  We could have sold him and kept Kellyman as they went for the same. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

One we didn't have to sell.  Good old Wayne advised him to go as it was too good an opportunity.  We could have sold him and kept Kellyman as they went for the same. 

Article in the Athletic last month about Kellyman said we got £600K for him. I thought we'd got about half that for Williams.