January Reinforcements

sage

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Everyone pretends that Rosenior’s (or Rooney’s) signings for us were all excellent when it suits the chance to put the boot into Warne. Yet on the flip side will or have complained about Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Smith, Dobbin, Collins etc.

Leaving out the re-signed Derby players like Cash and Curtis Davies, Rosenior signed;

Hourihane

Mendez-Laing

Barkhuizen

Oduroh

Anang

McGoldrick

Chester

Smith

Collins

Wildsmith

Dobbin

Osula

Rooney

Roberts.

They weren’t all massive success stories, in the same way Warne’s signings haven’t all been failures. Some signings are good and work out, others don’t🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Who were duds? Only the injury prone or the youngsters? All of the above are decent players bar perhaps Oduroh and Anang.

List Warne's signings.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who were duds? Only the injury prone or the youngsters? All of the above are decent players bar perhaps Oduroh and Anang.

List Warne's signings.

You’ve missed my point. I’m not defending all of Warne’s signings either, we all know there have been some absolute whoppers, just love the narrative around “Warne can’t attract players”, people are so keen to pour hate on the guy it’s amusing in it’s ridiculous-ness.

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

You’ve missed my point. I’m not defending all of Warne’s signings either, we all know there have been some absolute whoppers, just love the narrative around “Warne can’t attract players”, people are so keen to pour hate on the guy it’s amusing in it’s ridiculous-ness.

But you tried to back it up by listing Roseniors signings all of whom look better than Warne's!

Nyambe wasn't keen until no-one else came calling. Others in the current squad didn't want to sign for Warne. 

Edited by RoyMac5

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But you tried to back it up by listing Roseniors signings all of whom look better than Warne's!

Nyambe wasn't keen until no-one else came calling. Others in the current squad didn't want to sign for Warne. 

I wasn’t backing anything up, I was illustrating a point that not all Rosenior’s signings proved to be shrewd signings, some were indeed excellent additions, some less so.

Perhaps those players didn’t want to sign for Rotherham? Could be a combination of factors at play, could of course be accurate that they didn’t want to sign for Warne, only the players and their agents know for sure.

I just don’t get this line that Warne can’t attract players, we signed players under Warne, he signed players at his previous club, some of whom were pretty good and signed for other clubs on the back of their time under Warne at Rotherham. The type and calibre of players may vary, but if he can get them doing a job towards Derby’s success on the pitch I don’t give a toss if they sign from Man City or Borehamwood

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I always found the pull of the manager is directly proportional to the wages being offered to sign for them 

And if we're offering similar wages to other league 1 clubs?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Who were duds? Only the injury prone or the youngsters? All of the above are decent play bar perhaps Oduroh and Anang.

You could argue we gave Smith, Hourihane and Barkhuizen 1 year more than we should have. Collins struggled for the majority of last season too. Chester was injured for the majority of last season.

With the benefit of hindsight, I would have preferred signing the only player who was still available on July 1st was Nicky Cadden (joined Barnsley on 8th July). There were a number of other free agents I would have pursued, but they all agreed deals prior to July 1st or opted to join Championship clubs instead.

Considering our first summer signings we're Wildsmith, Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing on the 2nd, I think it's fair to say we signed the best players we could. These players were all willing to wait for our takeover to go through at the risk of ending up with no club at all. We may have had to over pay slightly, but the alternative could have meant having a much weaker squad.

9 hours ago, sage said:

If we don't add at least 2 good players we won't finish top 2. I'd suggest 3 or 4 to be favourites.

I would add that if we add no one good and any 2 of Nelson, Cashin, Bird, Hourihane, NML or Collins got a long term injury we could easily miss out on the top 6.  

That’s the spirit !! 

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

List Warne's signings.

No one can ever say you change your mind to suit an opinion 😏

Remember when you said this ?

"Martin's still a better player now than Collins. I've given Collins goals credit - hope if he is picked to play, he scores shedloads. He's still a naff footballer and makes Waggy look talented! 😄"

11 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

No one can ever say you change your mind to suit an opinion 😏

Remember when you said this ?

"Martin's still a better player now than Collins. I've given Collins goals credit - hope if he is picked to play, he scores shedloads. He's still a naff footballer and makes Waggy look talented! 😄"

Yes. What is your point? Martin is better footballer than Collins, and Waggy is too.

Edited by RoyMac5

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes. What is your point? Martin is better footballer than Collins, and Waggy is too.

Did you not say all of LR signings were better than Warnes ?

I'd wager that if I looked I'd find other ones about LRs signings as well 😏

1 minute ago, Returning ram said:

Did you not say all of LR signings were better than Warnes ?

I'd wager that if I looked I'd find other ones about LRs signings as well 😏

What was your point about the comment you dug out from weeks/months ago? 

No, I said most of Roseniors signings were good and asked for a similar list of Warne's.

You aren't very good at this are you. 😄

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

What was your point about the comment you dug out from weeks/months ago? 

No, I said most of Roseniors signings were good and asked for a similar list of Warne's.

You aren't very good at this are you. 😄

You wrote "Who were duds? Only the injury prone or the youngsters? All of the above are decent players bar perhaps Oduroh and Anang."

Yet you called Collins a "naff player" .

Which one is it ?

1 minute ago, Returning ram said:

You wrote "Who were duds? Only the injury prone or the youngsters? All of the above are decent players bar perhaps Oduroh and Anang."

Yet you called Collins a "naff player" .

Which one is it ?

I called Collins a naff footballer, as compared to Martin and even Waggy. You struggling with your argument. 😄

You've not listed Warne's gems yet.

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, Returning ram said:

No you said "He's still a naff footballer and makes Waggy look talented!"

Yep. He's a naff footballer and makes Waggy look talented. What IS your point? He scored a good amount of goals, but that doesn't necessarily make him a good footballer. I said 'I hope he score's shedloads' or some such. 

This little bit of pedantry and semantics is all you've got? 😄

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Rosenior brought in over the hill players on more money than most in this league. They’re all still here chewing up more wage budget than their production is worth. 

The point I was trying to make was it’s not just about money, it’s the pull of the manager