January Reinforcements

sage

I think we need two new players are a bare minimum to try one get us out of this division,if we fail again and have another season in LG1 it will cost us inevitably as i think crowds will dwindle next season

Last night shown us our back up players are not good enough

9 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Leigh Curtis reporting Hale and Lang aren’t of interest to us. So maybe CBT is one of the players we’re “close” to. 

total guesswork but Leigh Curtis reckons Lang is off to another league one club. Portsmouth don’t want him so wonder if Charlton are signing him to replace CBT as they have money to spend.

I don’t know that is total guesswork. I’ve been of the opinion since coming out of admin that Warne and the club have maintained a good relationship with the local media and share info with them, just under the proviso they don’t leak it. They’re pretty much straight on any announcements we have made regarding contracts and signings over the last 18 months, my theory is they’re briefed by the club and asked to keep quiet in return for the continued access they get to players, staff, training etc 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I don’t know that is total guesswork. I’ve been of the opinion since coming out of admin that Warne and the club have maintained a good relationship with the local media and share info with them, just under the proviso they don’t leak it. They’re pretty much straight on any announcements we have made regarding contracts and signings over the last 18 months, my theory is they’re briefed by the club and asked to keep quiet in return for the continued access they get to players, staff, training etc 

Sorry I could have worded that better, I was saying the guesswork is from me not Leigh.

58 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

The same goes for the other clubs trying to get promoted - lose a key player and it’s difficult to replace them.

I’m not hugely knowledgable about the extent of the squad depth for teams like Bolton and Pompey. I know that on paper Colby Bishop looked like their key player, but their fans seem to think that their poor form has coincided with his return to injury.

On the other hand, if Collins picked up an injury, I wouldn’t trust TJJ to lead the line for half a season, purely because his injury record doesn’t suggest he can.

There’s already areas that we can improve on without injury, but I think if we’d been even slightly more ambitious in the January 23 window, we wouldn’t have slipped out of the top 6. 

This has happened recently when he goes to a back 3 and has just 2 in central midfield.

When he changed to playing effectively 433, we had the extra man ( even if it was Smith) sat in front..this stopped us being overrun in midfield.

I would like to see a 433 when everyone is fit..with Bird, Thompson and a new CM sat in front.

I think we need 3 new players..CM, Winger( Blackett Taylor??) & Centre Forward...

Wildsmith

Nyambe    Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

NEW CM

Thompson        Bird

Mendez Laing            Blackett Taylor

NEW CF

2 minutes ago, valakari said:

This has happened recently when he goes to a back 3 and has just 2 in central midfield.

When he changed to playing effectively 433, we had the extra man ( even if it was Smith) sat in front..this stopped us being overrun in midfield.

I would like to see a 433 when everyone is fit..with Bird, Thompson and a new CM sat in front.

I think we need 3 new players..CM, Winger( Blackett Taylor??) & Centre Forward...

Wildsmith

NEW CM

Thompson        Bird

NEW CF

Yeah, I’d like a new attacking midfielder. I don’t think we have the personnel currently to push for top two. 

Competition for CF would be great, especially if it’s someone quicker.

Collins is far more effective when he doesn’t have to run back for the ball, which he does to bolster the midfield.

Let him focus on getting in the box and add a runner from midfield who hits the box late to pick up drag backs. 

Would sacrifice Sibley, Thompson, Barkhuisen and Smith (plus Bradley if anyone will take him).

Still gives us Hourihane and Fornah as spares in midfield. Few have stronger wide options than NML and Wilson and we have Ward as a spare. I know he’s not playing well but he hasn’t become a bad player overnight. He will rise again 😊

42 minutes ago, valakari said:

Wildsmith

NEW CM

Thompson        Bird

NEW CF

I think the main reason he's gone to a back 3 is because we haven't got an out and out right back. Playing Wilson there essentially takes away his biggest threat which is running with the ball and taking players on and being an attacking threat in the final third and Joe Ward basically can't defend. So neither are suited to playing as a right back in a back 4. But are ok playing as a wing back. When Nyambe is back we'll have more of an option to play a back 4. 

I still think there's a player there with Fornah. He's just too laid back and has too many touches. He shows glimpses of what he can do. But there are times he needs to release the ball quicker, but this will need to be coached in to him. I wouldn't write Fornah off just yet. Elder I think will come good, but he is going to need a run of games. He's never gonna be able to get up to speed if he's in and out and until he has a proper run. I won't judge him.

One of the benefits of playing a 3 at the back is the fact we play 2 up top. Since that Collins has been scoring and that's no coincidence. Anyone with eyes can see he's not lone striker. All his goals at Luton came in a 2. 

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I think the main reason he's gone to a back 3 is because we haven't got an out and out right back. Playing Wilson there essentially takes away his biggest threat which is running with the ball and taking players on and being an attacking threat in the final third and Joe Ward basically can't defend. So neither are suited to playing as a right back in a back 4. But are ok playing as a wing back. When Nyambe is back we'll have more of an option to play a back 4. 

I still think there's a player there with Fornah. He's just too laid back and has too many touches. He shows glimpses of what he can do. But there are times he needs to release the ball quicker, but this will need to be coached in to him. I wouldn't write Fornah off just yet. Elder I think will come good, but he is going to need a run of games. He's never gonna be able to get up to speed if he's in and out and until he has a proper run. I won't judge him.

One of the benefits of playing a 3 at the back is the fact we play 2 up top. Since that Collins has been scoring and that's no coincidence. Anyone with eyes can see he's not lone striker. All his goals at Luton came in a 2. 

Excellent points 👍

16 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Collins is not a lone striker so absolutely correct but we look awful when playing with 3 at the back - maybe a good old fashioned 442 

considering Ward and Bradley were Warne’s big summer signings specifically to probably play 3 at the back it’s kind of concerning

4 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

If we were really serious about this we would get some quick business done.  

Doesn't really matter how serious we are, if  a player is going to cost more than we have budgeted for in the business plan the EFL agreed to OR they are not available OR their club won't let them leave/come to us OR the player doesn't want to join Derby then we aren't going to get them. No point in getting numbers in for numbers sake, especially when we have young uns like Robinson, Fapetu, Weston, Brown and others who would gladly step up to the first team if given the chance. Any player we sign, IMO, has to be one who will improve the squad/team.

I just wish we had given the current youngsters real game time in a variety of games especially the pizza thingy cup we lost in yesterday, then we might know if they have genuine promise and can be used and save money on more rather older players who don’t look that good.

Agreed, but most of this could have been done ages ago...the final questions from Jan1st..but it could be planned much better...

Re right back. It is abundantly clear that Nyambe is the only right back that we have...very stupid imo.

Warne obviously planned for 3 at the back and  wing backs...but this proved to be awful..however Wilson can play further forward, as can Ward..although i'd get rid of Ward.

The irony is, both Fozzy and Elder are left backs...we don't have a left wing back, and Bradley is useless in a 3!

48 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Whilst 352 suits some players, such as Collins, it doesn't suit others. Mendez-Laing went from having 5 goals and 4 assists in his 9 games on the left wing, to just 1 goal in 5 when played in the middle.