Electric Vehicles

ram59

8 hours ago, Gaspode said:

"Range Anxiety" (as experienced first-hand by @TigerTedd) very much at the forefront of people choosing not to go for EVs or going back to Hybrid or combustion engines - hope Milliband undertands this as a major problem in his determination to force through Net Zero....infrastucture/technology has to be better before we get to mass takeup of EVs....

Personally I think price of EVs is much more off putting. EV charging is much easier than it's made out to be by EV haterz, and anyway I bet most people do short journeys most of the time. If EVs were cheaper - BYD here they come - then up take would be much faster. 

Edited by RoyMac5

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Personally I think price of EVs is much more off putting. EV charging is much easier than it's made out to be by EV haterz, and anyway I bet most people do short journeys most of the time. If EVs were cheaper - BYD here they come - then up take would be much faster. 

I paid 8k for a second EV. Nissan leaf, 20k Miles, 2020. I think it is very reasonable. 

Edited by GboroRam
Miles, not Mike's

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I paid 8k for a second EV. Nissan leaf, 20k Miles, 2020. I think it is very reasonable. 

Is it still under warranty? I've looked at 2nd hand Kias and Hyundais because of the warranty left. But Leafs are a bit 'town cars' and old tech.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is it still under warranty? I've looked at 2nd hand Kias and Hyundais because of the warranty left. But Leafs are a bit 'town cars' and old tech.

It's got a bit of warranty, but not loads. With 160 miles range it's limited, but for a 15 or 20 mile drive to the nearest city or big town it's fine. I've got the kona for longer trips and a BMW 2 series for road trips around Europe that I hope to rarely drive in future. 

I ain't fallin for no banana in the tailpipe. 

Where is all the clean energy needed for these environmentally responsible vehicles going to come from?  Why are children mining the lithium mines and why is it okay that they will only make it to thirty if they're lucky because they weren't even equipped with paper masks?  What clean energy is used in the mining and production of lithium batteries?  Oh, I see, none.  How will old lithium batteries be disposed of?  Landfills?  Righto.  How is any of this helping to save the ecosystem?  Oh it isn't.  Right, count me out.

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/environmental-impacts-of-lithium-ion-batteries/

4 minutes ago, ramit said:

I ain't fallin for no banana in the tailpipe. 

Where is all the clean energy needed for these environmentally responsible vehicles going to come from?  Why are children mining the lithium mines and why is it okay that they will only make it to thirty if they're lucky because they weren't even equipped with paper masks?  What clean energy is used in the mining and production of lithium batteries?  Oh, I see, none.  How will old lithium batteries be disposed of?  Landfills?  Righto.  How is any of this helping to save the ecosystem?  Oh it isn't.  Right, count me out.

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/environmental-impacts-of-lithium-ion-batteries/

I'm just happy to save money. 

Environmental benefits are real. Although there's more emissions up-front from the building of the EV, over it's life the emissions total is lower. So, on top of saving money, I'm lowering the total emissions I cause. But, more importantly for me, I'm saving money. 

Carry on spending a quid fifty a litre if you prefer. I'm sure it'll come down to a reasonable price in the next few years. 

8 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Environmental benefits are real. Although there's more emissions up-front from the building of the EV, over it's life the emissions total is lower. So, on top of saving money, I'm lowering the total emissions I cause. But, more importantly for me, I'm saving money. 

Carry on spending a quid fifty a litre if you prefer. I'm sure it'll come down to a reasonable price in the next few years. 

The environmental benefits are not real.  You are adding to pollution by driving an EV.  Old batteries cannot be in the foreseeable future recycled in a cost effective environmentally friendly way.  The electricity powering these vehicles is produced in a highly polluting manner.  Read the article in the link for further info.  What you're left with is that you're just happy to save money and that's a valid point right there, but don't go about talking like you're being environmentally responsible.

Edited by ramit
typo always typo

7 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I get the saving money bit and I’m sure your smart enough to know that that will be a short term make use of it while it’s there thing, khan has already announced the price reduction for ev s driving in the congestion zone is being done away with , we all know cars are a valuable revenue stream for government s and financial breaks along with costs of charging will be brought back in line , at the moment it’s all about getting people to spend big money , obviously from your posts you’ve done it in a sensible way with your choice of car and outlay, for us a van and a 7 seater people carrier are the essential vehicles for us making a living and the cost of electric versions are beyond silly , we have another car that is for long runs to derby and back and just pure enjoyment, it’s a choice car ( the wife is not really a car person but indulge s me ) , at this point I don’t see any ev s that are my choice in nice car way unless I find 100 k down the back of the sofa 

Edited by Archied

9 hours ago, GboroRam said:

My wife got a Renault Zoe. She upgraded from a smaller Aygo. It works really well for her as she’s just taxiing kids to their various activities. Uttoxeter and back is about as far as she goes and I don’t think she’s ever needed to use a public charger.

its just me, who has far longer distances to drive, sometimes without warning, where it can occasionally be a pain in the arse and I’d like the option to quickly fill up and go. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

If they had a 500 mile range, you wouldn’t need loads of charging points. 

Maybe you'd need more charging points (Than the current number of fuel pumps), as "everyone" would have one (A 500 mile range ev), but spend more time hogging the "Re-fuelling point".  🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I'd find less controversial sources of information than the Institute of Energy Research for opinions on EVs, funded as it has been by ExxonMobil and right-wing libertarian "philanthropist Charles Koch, before making any moral judgements over buying one. It's always a good idea to check the credentials of someone's sources.

8 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'd find less controversial sources of information than the Institute of Energy Research for opinions on EVs, funded as it has been by ExxonMobil and right-wing libertarian "philanthropist Charles Koch, before making any moral judgements over buying one. It's always a good idea to check the credentials of someone's sources.

Opinions vary and finding a truly neutral opinion on EV's can be a challenge.  Even in a fairly positive overview such as in the New York Times it is apparent that the environmentally sound infrastructure for mining, production and recycling is not in place, only vague promises of sometime in the future given.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/climate/electric-vehicles-environment.html

Here's a piece by the New York Post, focusing on hugely increased particle emissions from the braking systems and tyres.  EV's are heavier and tear up roads and wear out quicker.  Have yet to see a study that takes in every factor of both power sources.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/05/business/evs-release-more-toxic-emissions-are-worse-for-the-environment-study/

In a few more years lithium batteries in EV will probably be a thing of the past and they will be replaced by solid state batteries, in China first and then in the rest of the world. 

So the whole debate about whether lithium is environmentally friendly or not will be pretty much irrelevant.  

13 minutes ago, Highgate said:

In a few more years lithium batteries in EV will probably be a thing of the past and they will be replaced by solid state batteries, in China first and then in the rest of the world. 

So the whole debate about whether lithium is environmentally friendly or not will be pretty much irrelevant.  

Oh dear , khan will be charging you £ 12.50 a day if your ev has lithium batteries and not solid state 

You do you. 

I'll do me. 

I don't miss £80 a go at the petrol station. I plan ahead when I travel, I have a home charger and it gets me to Southall and back easy enough. Next week I'm going to give Bristol a try. I might need to spend half an hour charging up on the way home, which I'll spend having a KFC and a coffee. 

I love how diesel advocates are so hot on the environment all of a sudden. Neither is perfect. But how many people are giving their opinion online, using tech that also uses lithium batteries?