Electric Vehicles

ram59

5 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I think it does. There are some paddles that can increase the regeneration I tend to take mine off but if you have it on full then every time you take your foot off the accelerator the brake light will come on and the car will slow down.

Makes sense for safety of the driver behind but is a pain when you’re behind a car on the motorway who keeps braking when everyone is travelling at speed. 
yes, I know, keep your correct distance 🤨

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I was listening to the golf commo and thinking how everything 'has to' move with the times. There's lots of inability to accept change in all sorts of areas it seems. But when focussing on negatives the greater positives are often (deliberately) overlooked.

So we're keen on getting an EV soon, so what is the best bits to 'embrace' and what do you really like about them. 🙂 👍

I’ve had mine coming up to 4 weeks now and I’d echo what @GboroRam and @Gritstone Ram have said.  It really is effortless driving.  I went for the Kona with the bigger battery and a marketed range of 319 miles.  So far, I’d say that’s about right but do expect it drop off in the winter months, just like your MPG in an ICE car does.  I’ve only charged at home and a 5 hour charge on the Octopus Go tariff adds about 50%, so about 160miles, to the battery for about £3.

Just now, Gritstone Ram said:

Cheap as chips to run if you get an EV tariff. Pay less tax if it’s a company car. No visits to the petrol station. Summer is 25% better than winter.

Ermmm Ermmm apart from that it’s a car.

This is true. 

There's a point you reach, aged somewhere between 17 and 25 that you realise that it costs you a fortune and primarily is used to ferry you to and from a place you hate. 

17 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I’ve had mine coming up to 4 weeks now and I’d echo what @GboroRam and @Gritstone Ram have said.  It really is effortless driving.  I went for the Kona with the bigger battery and a marketed range of 319 miles.  So far, I’d say that’s about right but do expect it drop off in the winter months, just like your MPG in an ICE car does.  I’ve only charged at home and a 5 hour charge on the Octopus Go tariff adds about 50%, so about 160miles, to the battery for about £3.

Waves at fellow kona driver. 

54 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Cheap as chips to run if you get an EV tariff. Pay less tax if it’s a company car. No visits to the petrol station. Summer is 25% better than winter.

Ermmm Ermmm apart from that it’s a car.

They're quite nippy too aren't they, although I'm comparing it with our sluggish Nissan Note. 😄

46 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I've test driven a Kona and I preferred it to the Niro. Not tried the newer Kona yet though. There's a works salary sacrifice scheme that has a few 'decent' choices, one of which is the Volvo EV. Always fancied a Volvo but never really had the extra money to justify buying one.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've test driven a Kona and I preferred it to the Niro. Not tried the newer Kona yet though. There's a works salary sacrifice scheme that has a few 'decent' choices, one of which is the Volvo EV. Always fancied a Volvo but never really had the extra money to justify buying one.

Mines through a salary sacrifice scheme.  A far better deal than any leasing sites when you consider it includes the insurance.  Well worth looking at the new Kona.  It’s bigger than the previous one, very roomy and a decent size boot.  It also has buttons for heating, hazard warning lights, etc rather than a fancy iPad type screen.

And yes, they are nippy.  Instant power once you press the accelerator.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

57 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They're quite nippy too aren't they, although I'm comparing it with our sluggish Nissan Note. 😄

If you put it in sports mode it’s really good but you lose some miles/kwh if you set off quickly. Like a bloke across the road said you end up driving like a nun.

41 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Mines through a salary sacrifice scheme.  A far better deal than any leasing sites when you consider it includes the insurance.  Well worth looking at the new Kona.  It’s bigger than the previous one, very roomy and a decent size boot.  It also has buttons for heating, hazard warning lights, etc rather than a fancy iPad type screen.

And yes, they are nippy.  Instant power once you press the accelerator.

I’ve got a 2022 Kona and the boot isn’t very big when you have got young grandchildren and you want to go on days out.

56 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The Kona is good but the boot isn’t very big for push chairs or more than 2 suitcases. Range wise it’s great in the summer not so great in winter. Driving I just press buttons now only really use the brake pedal I can accelerate off the steering wheel and set the speed limit and it slows down to the speed of the traffic in front.

46 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You put your grandchildren in the boot? 😀

Only when they won’t shut up.

It’s all the paraphernalia that comes with them. Pushchairs bags etc. If you have two young ones then you need some decent boot space. Take them on holiday and you need a trailer.

I realise that the "no Road Tax" benefit was introduced as an incentive to switch to EVs, but it's completely iniquitous, unless someone is going to claim that EVs don't travel on roads 😉

Surely, eventually, they're going to have to either reintroduce RT for EVs or road pricing tolls for all, because roads don't come free?

30 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I realise that the "no Road Tax" benefit was introduced as an incentive to switch to EVs, but it's completely iniquitous, unless someone is going to claim that EVs don't travel on roads 😉

Surely, eventually, they're going to have to either reintroduce RT for EVs or road pricing tolls for all, because roads don't come free?

It's going up to £190 per year next year unless the new government scrap the proposed change....and there is a lot of talk of scrapping Road Tax completely and switching to a mileage based system, though I've no idea how that would be implemented....

Edited by Gaspode

12 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

You put your grandchildren in the boot? 😀

Yep , I always wonder about the car stickers , baby on board ,,,, surely they would be more comfortable and safer in a child seat 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

It's going up to £190 per year next year unless the new government scrap the proposed change....and there is a lot of talk of scrapping Road Tax completely and switching to a mileage based system, though I've no idea how that would be implemented....

Thanks, I hadn't picked that up.

I can only imagine the fury generated in some quarters by a road charging scheme, but it's certainly more logical than charging a person doing 2,000 miles a year the same as someone who does 20,000.