Is expectation too high .

Curtains

15 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

On the injuries - Bird also a freak accident making a tackle in the 93rd minute, ward tearing his heel, that also happened in a game following a challenge, Wilson muscle injury probably to do with him coming off long lay off at previous club and getting up to match fitness. So not sure it’s down to the flat out until you gas out. 

Except you are mentally tired too and maybe don't approach challenges, or attempts to get the ball, in a manner that you might usually and so take extra risks.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

(paraphrasing) 'There are no guarantees that we'll be better next season' - Paul Warne on Radio Derby prior to the Sheff Weds game.

As usual I'll point out that he's 100% correct. There are no guarantees and there's nothing wrong with expectation management.

I just wasn't expecting a loser's mentality from a proven winner!

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

(paraphrasing) 'There are no guarantees that we'll be better next season' - Paul Warne on Radio Derby prior to the Sheff Weds game.

As usual I'll point out that he's 100% correct. There are no guarantees and there's nothing wrong with expectation management.

I just wasn't expecting a loser's mentality from a proven winner!

Without knowing exactly what he said, I wouldn’t read too much (or anything at all) into the comments. We all know he has a habit of stating the obvious sometimes and I wouldn’t describe the comment as a sign of a “loser’s mentality”. 

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

On the injuries - Bird also a freak accident making a tackle in the 93rd minute, ward tearing his heel, that also happened in a game following a challenge, Wilson muscle injury probably to do with him coming off long lay off at previous club and getting up to match fitness. So not sure it’s down to the flat out until you gas out. 

Not it isn't all down to one factor, agreed. But we ought to be able to see progress. Indeed when we think progress has been made, it is dashed bby a return to the previous, because the "progress" seems to coincide with us being forced to play 4 at the back.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I know, but it's one part of a whole along with referring to any half decent player as a 'superstar', comments on his perception of Waghorn and a few other smaller things.  

In a way he's like Nigel IMO, there's a certain level of player and ego he wouldn't really be comfortable or capable of managing.

Edited by Kokosnuss

36 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Not it isn't all down to one factor, agreed. But we ought to be able to see progress. Indeed when we think progress has been made, it is dashed bby a return to the previous, because the "progress" seems to coincide with us being forced to play 4 at the back.

I'm not advocating 3 at the back but we've had some shockers with 4 at the back too.  A lack of any apparent tactical plan has been common throughout Warnes reign.  One week we'll be good, the next we'll be poor.  Nowhere near the consistency we need to get out of this league.  I hope something clicks and it suddenly changes.  I dont rule out the possibility but the more I see the less I think it's likely.

Edited by Blondest Goat

With the best will in the world I'm never going to run as fast Usain bolt. To run as fast Usain bolt I'd need to actually be Usain bolt.

We can want derby to be automatically promoted this season. Last I checked pw didn't have a sizeable transfer budget to spend in the summer.

Next summer we could lose 12 players due to them being out of contract, but how many of those who could leave would we actually want to keep?

With the best will in the world pw can do his best with this team, yet there are areas we could have strengthend a lot if we spent money.

This club needs to spend close to the highest transfer budget in the league next summer. That will strengthen the squad and give us the best chance of promotion.

That might not happen, our owner, as I think, wisely doesn't want to spend crazily like Mel did. He spent a fortune bailing derby out of a bankruptcy situation.

That said our owner will see that investment is required to promote the club.

This season, I think we will repeat last season albeit we might actually make the play offs.

4 minutes ago, Oldben said:

With the best will in the world I'm never going to run as fast Usain bolt. To run as fast Usain bolt I'd need to actually be Usain bolt.

We can want derby to be automatically promoted this season. Last I checked pw didn't have a sizeable transfer budget to spend in the summer.

Next summer we could lose 12 players due to them being out of contract, but how many of those who could leave would we actually want to keep?

With the best will in the world pw can do his best with this team, yet there are areas we could have strengthend a lot if we spent money.

This club needs to spend close to the highest transfer budget in the league next summer. That will strengthen the squad and give us the best chance of promotion.

That might not happen, our owner, as I think, wisely doesn't want to spend crazily like Mel did. He spent a fortune bailing derby out of a bankruptcy situation.

That said our owner will see that investment is required to promote the club.

This season, I think we will repeat last season albeit we might actually make the play offs.

We are going to have the largest wage bill in the league, probably by a considerable distance, so not sure that’s accurate. 

Blackpool might run us close but I anticipate they will still be a million or so behind us.

Yes and I think perhaps going for older proven players has been a choice to spend our money on wages rather than pay some modest transfer fees on younger players from lower divisions who might not command the salary the likes of Sonny Bradley will.  I mean he's going to be on North of 500k a year 

On 10/09/2023 at 10:48, trappatoni said:

Yes and I think perhaps going for older proven players has been a choice to spend our money on wages rather than pay some modest transfer fees on younger players from lower divisions who might not command the salary the likes of Sonny Bradley will.  I mean he's going to be on North of 500k a year 

Blimey, what would he be on if he achieved average status? 

14 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I think you will find that Derby fans think we should win the League right 

Some might. I’ve been very critical of this season and top 6 is my target (although I’ll admit that’s top 6 with a PO win). 

So far we’re not top 6 and haven’t played like a top 6 team so frustrations and groans have been aired. 

20 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It’s not wrong .

It is though.

Most I'd say think we should be challenging for the top two, even if we fall short, but very very very very few people think we should be finishing top two at this stage of our 'recovery' let alone walking away champions.

Edited by Kokosnuss

7 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Some might. I’ve been very critical of this season and top 6 is my target (although I’ll admit that’s top 6 with a PO win). 

So far we’re not top 6 and haven’t played like a top 6 team so frustrations and groans have been aired. 

Agreed.  Only 6 games gone mate another 40 to go .

I hope we improve 

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

It is though.

Most I'd say think we should be challenging for the top two, even if we fall short, but very very very very few people think we should be finishing top two at this stage of our 'recovery' let alone walking away champions.

I think after 6 games a judgement is difficult.  
People seem to think Warne football is poor . 
Would you agree 

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I think after 6 games a judgement is difficult.  
People seem to think Warne football is poor . 
Would you agree 

I've given my thoughts on Warne's football on the appropriate thread. I wouldn't say it was poor, in theory. It's awful when it doesn't work and too reductive to be a success at a higher level. When it does work it creates a lot of excitement.

There are some good things but it's held back by a few other things about his ideology which will always cause us certain problems

I think on the overall balance and in the grand scheme of things Paul Warne is quite a poor football manager, he's no tactician, but he's a very good front man for a coaching team, and has other qualities which can make up for the areas he's lacking. Can

When I say poor I don't mean it insultingly, he's far from incapable, just that there are more negatives IMO than positives. 

Being a 'poor' manager (maybe I should say limited, rather than poor?) isn't actually a massive a barrier to (relative) success anyway - which is why I've pointed toward Phil Brown & Aidy Boothroyd in other posts - both poor managers but it hasn't stopped either of them achieving success at a higher level than Warne has (so far).

Edited by Kokosnuss

Look if we as fans can’t have high expectations of being top 6 or automatic promotion in League1 then I despair !!

I mean who in this league should Derby County be worried about ?? 
if we are starting to think the Oxfords, Cambridge and Peterborough and Portsmouths  etc are teams we should be behind id say …give yourself a shake !! 
I mean ffs this league is not great …and if we are now thinking that top6 or top2 is high and over our expectations as fans then be very careful because as my friend who’s a Charlton STH said if you stay down too long you become like a L1 club ….so let’s aim appropriately high and get the fudge out of this s**** division ….