Is expectation too high .

Curtains

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

I think you will find that Derby fans think we should win the League right 

I do.  Nobody in this league is fit too tickle our scrotum.  Maybe Portsmouth on a Saturday night.  They'll get their chance this Saturday. 

If the manager bought into this a bit more, rather than thinking we should start each match like a snail on ketamine and hope for a set piece goal to get the ball rolling, we could well do so as this divison is uber pants.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I do.  Nobody in this league is fit too tickle our scrotum.  Maybe Portsmouth on a Saturday night.  They'll get their chance this Saturday. 

If the manager bought into this a bit more, rather than thinking we should start each match like a snail on ketamine and hope for a set piece goal to get the ball rolling, we could well do so as this divison is uber pants.

That’s not how Warne sees it   .

9 hours ago, S8TY said:

Look if we as fans can’t have high expectations of being top 6 or automatic promotion in League1 then I despair !!

I mean who in this league should Derby County be worried about ?? 
if we are starting to think the Oxfords, Cambridge and Peterborough and Portsmouths  etc are teams we should be behind id say …give yourself a shake !! 
I mean ffs this league is not great …and if we are now thinking that top6 or top2 is high and over our expectations as fans then be very careful because as my friend who’s a Charlton STH said if you stay down too long you become like a L1 club ….so let’s aim appropriately high and get the fudge out of this s**** division ….

I think the recent comments about Warne setting us up as underdogs rings too true. He hasn’t given us the mentality needed to be ‘favourites’ it seems. He has said Top6 is the aim, giving plenty of scope for more excuses. We started with comments from players saying they expected to go up, is that being lowered? 

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think the recent comments about Warne setting us up as underdogs rings too true. He hasn’t given us the mentality needed to be ‘favourites’ it seems. He has said Top6 is the aim, giving plenty of scope for more excuses. We started with comments from players saying they expected to go up, is that being lowered? 

I honestly think we should always be aiming to win the league in L1 Roy 

if we fell short and ended up in play offs if I was DC I’d still look at how we’re playing and why we didn’t win it or make autos to see if we’re progressing but our expectations should never be lowered by the manager especially imo 

I don't even really care about promotion. I'd love it, but nobody has a divine right to anything in football. Every team is exactly where they deserve to be, that's the beauty of it.

I just want us to play on the front foot, without fear, without acting like underdogs. It's the negative approach that many people on here have mentioned, and take issue with. But then we get told our expectations are too high, Warne hasn't been given long enough, the team need to gel, we don't have the budget etc etc etc.

Sorry, buy you don't need any of that to play with some balls. We were awful under Rooney, but that team turned up and at least went down swinging. There were no threads like there are now about Rooney. 

1 hour ago, oodledoodle said:

I don't even really care about promotion. I'd love it, but nobody has a divine right to anything in football. Every team is exactly where they deserve to be, that's the beauty of it.

I just want us to play on the front foot, without fear, without acting like underdogs. It's the negative approach that many people on here have mentioned, and take issue with. But then we get told our expectations are too high, Warne hasn't been given long enough, the team need to gel, we don't have the budget etc etc etc.

Sorry, buy you don't need any of that to play with some balls. We were awful under Rooney, but that team turned up and at least went down swinging. There were no threads like there are now about Rooney. 

We are in League1 due to a massive points deduction …no beauty in that!! so we shouldn’t really be here and we all know who’s to blame for that no one has a divine right and you’re correct but to not think we should win the league is not what I’d want to hear from anyone in management 

we are the biggest club in L1 and with that comes expectations and rightfully so 

56 minutes ago, S8TY said:

We are in League1 due to a massive points deduction …no beauty in that!! so we shouldn’t really be here and we all know who’s to blame for that no one has a divine right and you’re correct but to not think we should win the league is not what I’d want to hear from anyone in management 

we are the biggest club in L1 and with that comes expectations and rightfully so 

We had a season where we could have been promoted if we were good enough. We were not, so here we are.

34 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

We had a season where we could have been promoted if we were good enough. We were not, so here we are.

I think the expectation this season is rightly raised from last year , personally I am happy to back warne to have a proper run at it this season, some are not but that’s all about opinion s and gut feeling, he’s deffo under a bit of pressure to get us firing after a poor ish start

9 hours ago, S8TY said:

How many managers have you heard say they expect their team to win the league?

11 hours ago, S8TY said:

I expect any Derby County manager in  L1 to be saying that …why not?

Any manager of Derby in league 1 (or even the championship) should be saying the target/objective/aim is to win the league and to be confident that they have the squad to achieve it. But none should be saying publicly that they EXPECT to win it. That really would stink of arrogance and a lack of respect for the other clubs, and their managers, in the league.

2 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Because it leads to high expectations and endless manager and player bashing that’s why

If I were a Derby player in L1 I’d be dissapointed if my manager didn’t say “ we are going to win this league “that is our aim you don’t have to publicly declare that of course but I would think we had the wrong manager if he wasn’t aiming to win it …

the original question was “ are our expectations too high” ? Not should our manager publicly declare it 

After last season's narrow failure to get into the playoffs with a hurriedly assembled scratch team, I don't think that an expectation from fans of doing better this year is unreasonable, particularly when there was talk of having a fair bit more financial flexibility to tweak an already reasonably decent side and to fill it with players who fit the manager's chosen style rather than some square pegs in round holes. I don't think it's fair to expect us to spend nothing and walk the league but an improvement is something that you should always be looking for unless you are in financial trouble and having to shed your best players.

The challenge has come with the recruitment and injuries. I don't think the recruitment worked out quite as well as Warne had hoped and we've had a string of injuries before the season has even really got started. Add to that a pretty challenging start fixtures-wise and I guess our current position is not entirely surprising at this stage.

That said, once we've got our teeth properly into this season and we've got a few of these players back then we'll have more options and I think it is perfectly reasonable, even with one of two longer term injuries, for us to be expecting to be in the mix. I don't think it is reasonable to consider anything less than automatic promotion as a failure because our fee outlay is negligible, but surely an expectation going a minimum 1 place and potentially just 1 point better than last year and being involved in the playoffs is perfectly reasonable ?

6 minutes ago, S8TY said:

If I were a Derby player in L1 I’d be dissapointed if my manager didn’t say “ we are going to win this league “that is our aim you don’t have to publicly declare that of course but I would think we had the wrong manager if he wasn’t aiming to win it …

the original question was “ are our expectations too high” ? Not should our manager publicly declare it 

If I were a Derby player in L1 I wouldn’t expect my manager to say “we are going to win this league”. What does he say if we fall short (maybe narrowly) and you then confront him as to why he was wrong? I would expect him to say “we have the best squad of players in this league. Our aim this season is to win the league and I can’t see any reason why we shouldn’t achieve that objective. We can’t be complacent and there are some decent teams out there but, you are better and we should win the league” or words to that effect.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If I were a Derby player in L1 I wouldn’t expect my manager to say “we are going to win this league”. What does he say if we fall short (maybe narrowly) and you then confront him as to why he was wrong? I would expect him to say “we have the best squad of players in this league. Our aim this season is to win the league and I can’t see any reason why we shouldn’t achieve that objective. We can’t be complacent and there are some decent teams out there but, you are better and we should win the league” or words to that effect.

It’s not complacency the way I look at it I would gain confidence from the  manager if he was saying we are  going to win this league …some managers I’ve played under have really inspired by being confident with the players and have seen players really lift there own game even in the difficult times because we thought we were the best and yes others have failed of course I get it 

I wouldn’t be saying that in the championship at the moment because it’s much more difficult and we are not in the right place at the moment in our re development ..but I would’ve with Maclarens Wembley team because we were the best side in that division towards end of the season and were a much better footballing team than qpr who we undeservedly lost to 

but this is L1 and I’d expect our manager to be confident after a summer of recruitment to be aiming to win this league 

we nearly made the play offs last season so after a summer where our manager had a chance to address any deficiencies in our team I’d expect to be winning it …

have you lot seen the division this year? It is completely pants summed up by Stevenage topping it & two of the relegated teams having big points deductions

It won’t be an easier year to challenge that top 2 and it’s pretty poor we are not looking like putting up a fight to do so

i don’t think that’s high expectations I think it should be a basic requirement with a club like Derby at this level. Look at the clubs in the current top 10 position 

47 minutes ago, alram said:

have you lot seen the division this year? It is completely pants summed up by Stevenage topping it & two of the relegated teams having big points deductions

It won’t be an easier year to challenge that top 2 and it’s pretty poor we are not looking like putting up a fight to do so

i don’t think that’s high expectations I think it should be a basic requirement with a club like Derby at this level. Look at the clubs in the current top 10 position 

Yeah, three points off the playoffs and a whopping four points off the top two and only 40 more games to play, looks like we’ve blown it😂.