Is expectation too high .

Curtains

32 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

@Chris_Martin

Which are these ‘worse teams with worse players’?

How do you quantify this?

Bear in mind, Wigan, Bolton and Blackpool all finished in a higher position than us last season.

Oxford have looked one good appointment and one good transfer window from being a threat in League 1 for some time.

Some of our fans would build a shrine to Brannagan before the ink was dry on his contract if he signed for us, for instance.

I think you are doing the teams we have played a disservice.

Oxford were very nearly relegated to league 2 about 3/4 months ago. They outplayed us at pride park. If you say they have been one good appointment away from being a threat in league one, then surely we could apply that same logic to ourselves...

We have more experienced players that have played in higher divisions, we have younger players that are more sought after, we have a better pitch, more money, bigger fanbase, better training facilities

3 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

That's right. I had zero expectations that year, the only highlight I remember is dancing around with my shoes off for "take your shoes off for the rams".

I do however expect us to give a team in the third division a game, or better yet to look like we at least had a plan other than "watch
Bolton pass it around for a bit".

It wasn’t like that, but it fits your narrative so crack on , Warne is here to stay , we cannot afford to sack him even if we wanted to , fine if you are against him but please give the team your support

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Could have score 4 or 5 but didn’t. Had numerous chances but only scored 2. Our first was only a very minor deflection and didn’t change the direction of the ball by much. Their keeper “probably should have saved” our second goal but he didn’t. We’re talking about this game so it’s irrelevant whether we’ll score a worldie every week. Again, it doesn’t matter if there aren’t many occasions when a team gets 0.95 xg and scores 4 - we did and only one had any element of luck. We converted our chances and they didn’t convert theirs. Not much to do with luck.

if we play like that, 9 times out of 10 we lose the game. so over a season it's just not feasible

The Peterborough game was reminiscent of the Bristol Rovers home game last season when a McGoldrick first half hattrick put us 4-1 up, not sure it was from only 4 shots but it can't have been far off 100% conversion up to that point. 

You can't really call strikers being extremely clinical lucky in the same way you can't say you were lucky that your goalkeeper played a blinder because ultimately that's their job.

It doesn't mean that we dominated the game or the scoreline was an accurate representation of the match as a whole, and in reality it's not something that you're likely to see (m)any repeats of over the course of a single season.

You you can't base your entire strategy around such matches falling in your favour. The problem with Warneball is that it often does just that.

It's why it doesn't work at a higher level IMO. You could have almost any players you want at your disposal, it's a naive tactic that will get you found out when you play against a team with a more tactically astute manager and/or a team who simply have better players than you.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

He wasn’t. He’s an idiot.   He got loads wrong just as he did at Plymouth last season 

He was sure. He might have got it wrong but that is totally different. Don't you understand? It was a mistake.

Or have I missed him coming out and saying he wasn't sure?

Edited by RoyMac5

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

yep

So you would of seen us do well just before we scored after the horrendous injury to Rooney and you would of seen Bradley and Forsyth high fiving after a great block from Bradley. .

You would of seen that we had to take a Penalty when we had already scored because of tha Referee and then you would see him give a penalty when Smith fouled outside the box. 

We could easily of gone in 1 up and then the dip head sent Wildsmith off when the ball hit his chest 

Oh and then he didn’t give us a penalty when Bradley was smashed 

Edited by Curtains

10 hours ago, Curtains said:

I thought Saturday the injury to Rooney was a massive blow.  Bradley did well at first and was punching the air after one stop tackle and high fiving with Fozzy but unfortunately then came the misunderstandings with Wildsmith and the sending off  

The penalty given away by Smith was poor. 

The referee was a disgrace. The same ref as Plymouth away last season. 

I think Bolton had lots of possession against our 10 but a deflection did us. 

I hope Rooney recovers ok but it looked bad. 

Narrow defeat but we move on 

The quality of refs is poor.  However, we facilitate their shiteness with our own with ridiculous tackles on the edge of the area and dicking around with a ball instead of making a routine boot out of play. 

1 minute ago, Chris_Martin said:

Oxford were very nearly relegated to league 2 about 3/4 months ago. They outplayed us at pride park. If you say they have been one good appointment away from being a threat in league one, then surely we could apply that same logic to ourselves...

We have more experienced players that have played in higher divisions, we have younger players that are more sought after, we have a better pitch, more money, bigger fanbase, better training facilities

Give the opposition some credit.

Before last season’s brush with relegation, Oxford finished 3rd, 6th and 8th in this division.

They are in a similar position to where we were in the Championship from 2014-2019. Five top half finishes in seven seasons in League 1 - so they are a few ingredients away from having the perfect dish and a few missteps from giving everyone an upset stomach.

They’ve been a difficult and awkward side to play against for the majority of their time in this division since they were promoted from League 2 in 2016.

Having players with experience of higher levels, having sought after young players and having everything bigger and better (even though we can’t spend the money we might have) doesn’t stop a team being able to win a one-off game if the opposition aren’t clicking.

These results happen up and down the divisions. Chelsea 0-1 Forest, a prime example of that.