So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Didn’t want Warnock. The next Manager needs to be given an 18 month contract with option to extend dependant on performance.

Dave Challinor would be a spicy choice but would be a risk without question. 

Eustace seems the obvious choice but his football definitely was defensive. 

Not sure there’s a slam dunk appointment, but we thought PW was that so maybe a risk isn’t a bad idea. Plus I could see Challinor (or someone like that) going for the 18 month deal.

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Looks like Warnock’s going QPR so that’s the free hit potential feel good option gone. 

Whoever comes in now will have to be our next ‘long term’ option. Big decision to make..that’s if we can bring ourselves to give PW the bullet first.

Why the rush for a long term option during this season? The whole squad pretty much is out of contract at the end of the season so unless there is a stand out candidate I'd rather have a caretaker who can just a have a free hit on the rest of the season and see what we can do. Gary Bowyer for me would be a decent enough caretaker. If we sell Bird/Cashin replace with loans in Jan until we address the structure of the club going forward.

4 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Why the rush for a long term option during this season? The whole squad pretty much is out of contract at the end of the season so unless there is a stand out candidate I'd rather have a caretaker who can just a have a free hit on the rest of the season and see what we can do. Gary Bowyer for me would be a decent enough caretaker. If we sell Bird/Cashin replace with loans in Jan until we address the structure of the club going forward.

I was for the short term option if it was Warnock. If we’re happy just to tread water then we may as well keep PW until the end of the season.  

Bowyer isn’t for me but then again he’s shown to be a decent manager with some clubs so hopefully we’d get the right version of him.

Generally speaking if Warne goes I think we have two broad paths we can take. Find somebody who can develop the club from the ground up and set us on a path development over time. Or go for the surest bet of promotion asap, maybe with the view of doing that short term whilst. 

Personally I think the former is the smartest course of action but I wouldn't be surprised if we went for the latter (and I think it'd be understandable, you just can't afford to stay in this division too long).

Personally Evatt is the one I've thought of for a while. Eustace seems possibly a decent shout (although I've doubts over his football at Birmingham). After that I'd be looking for a talented younger coach in a set up that plays the right way and has experience in developing academy players. 

12 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I was for the short term option if it was Warnock. If we’re happy just to tread water then we may as well keep PW until the end of the season.  

Bowyer isn’t for me but then again he’s shown to be a decent manager with some clubs so hopefully we’d get the right version of him.

Yeah I more or less agree. It either needs to be a short term person who's going to give fast success or somebody putting the building blocks in place for more sustainable progress. 

The only thing I somewhat disagree with is I don't think keeping warne is treading water. I think it's a slow, gradually slide backwards.

We are in a worse position on many fronts than when he took over.

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

A short term caretaker for the rest of the season option no matter who it is (preferably an experienced coach) whilst Clowes resets the clubs bearings is probably the wisest move. Once we sack Warne it really does rubberstamp this season as a free hit and i think now you have to in order to cull the toxicity it's creating. I wouldn't want to bring Buxton into the first team or any of the academy lot to fill in because who will then fill in for the academy. It's a right pickle!

16 hours ago, Ilkestonian said:

I think we should've sticked with Nigel longer than we did, felt he was slowly building something, pity he had the fall out with Rush as sadly there was only going to be one winner.

I’m glad we didn’t as I got to enjoy some of the best football I’ve seen at derby in 25 years. I would have rather Mel had not sacked McLaren the first time 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

More than anything I think I'd like to see us get a more dedicated director of football in place. Somebody who can better guide the trajectory of the club's development  all round from a playing perspective.

I agree but it won’t be happening based on an Athletic article I read yesterday morning. Pearce and Clowes scoffed at the idea when Matt Slater raised it to them on Tuesday evening. I think the plan is to get more football knowledge on to the board as NED’s but I would worry these would be sentimental appointments.

It seems crazy to me that you would not have football people in charge of football decisions but what do I know

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

I agree but it won’t be happening based on an Athletic article I read yesterday morning. Pearce and Clowes scoffed at the idea when Matt Slater raised it to them on Tuesday evening. I think the plan is to get more football knowledge on to the board as NED’s but I would worry these would be sentimental appointments.

It seems crazy to me that you would not have football people in charge of football decisions but what do I know

It's seeming more and more like a fan running the club...

10 minutes ago, nottingram said:

It’s obvious that clowns doesn’t have the money to sack him. Only way he goes is that the fans turn that much he walks. I don’t even think clowes has the money to run derby either based on the summer transfer business. The only way it changes is someone’s joins in with investment and management changes after Christmas towards the summer window next season 

it’s obvious he’s bought derby to save it with his heart and then now here his brain has realised it’s more money and decisions he’s not had to handle before 

Edited by Barney1991

I would take Parker here, but with an element of worry.

He does play attacking, possession based football and likes to dominate teams and play from the back. However what he did at Fulham will always be looked at closely as he had mitrovic at champ level scoring every game which did get him out of tight games.

34 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

I’m glad we didn’t as I got to enjoy some of the best football I’ve seen at derby in 25 years. I would have rather Mel had not sacked McLaren the first time 

I agree that we played better and more exciting football under Mac1 and Simmo and I don't think anyone could or would argue that but that wasn't what I was talking about, I was just saying that in my opinion, not knowing what the future held at that time, I think we should have stuck with Nigel longer as he was slowly but surely improving us.

14 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

It’s obvious that clowes doesn’t have the money to sack him. Only way he goes is that the fans turn that much he walks. I don’t even think clowes has the money to run derby either based on the summer transfer business. The only way it changes is someone’s joins in with investment and management changes after Christmas towards the summer window next season 

it’s obvious he’s bought derby to save it with his heart and then now here his brain has realised it’s more money and decisions he’s not had to handle before 

I don't think it's about money. Currently it's still about Warne being their man.

The Athletic article had very little 'verbatim' in it was mostly a run through of recent history with a few little snippets thrown in.

"There is still much to be done, though. There is a widely-held belief among fans that the club is short of football know-how. There are two parts to this: one that Pearce and Clowes acknowledged (when I spoke to him after the game), one that confuses them.

The latter is the frequent calls to appoint a director of football. Neither Pearce nor Clowes understands where this has come from, as it is not something they have discussed or believe is necessary. Their best guess is it is an assumption based on Warne’s job title being head coach, not manager, with head coaches often working under directors of football.

Instead they are going with a six-strong “football executive team”, comprised of Pearce, Warne, Hale, chief medical officer Amit Pannu, head of football development and performance Ross Burbeary and head of recruitment Mark Thomas. Like Hale and Warne, who arrived last September, Burbeary and Thomas are relatively new appointments.

Pearce and Clowes did agree with the second part of the Derby being a bit thin on top theory, though, and this relates to the club’s board currently having only two directors, Clowes and Richard Tavernor, the finance director at the owner’s family business, Clowes Developments. The club is looking for three more directors, a chair and two non-executives. Ideally, they will bring complementary skill sets, with the chair likely to have a legal background, and the other two having backgrounds in business and/or high-performance sport."

"But he assured me that paying the bills had not diminished his enjoyment of watching Derby play and he would never do anything that did not help the club. He did not sound like the kind of guy who needs the last word but what he said perfectly he summed up my impressions of the evening as I left.

“We’re just humble people, who want to do things the right way and only want the best for the club.”

27 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Yeah that's the thing. I really feel like we could benefit who can afford to take a longer view development wise, somebody who still has skin in the game (there isn't the pressure to perform with a NED) and has been up until recently in touch with coaching. With a NED I often feel like they are people who've the game has passed them by and/or their view of it has been demonstrated as somewhat faulty.

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Yeah that's the thing. I really feel like we could benefit who can afford to take a longer view development wise, somebody who still has skin in the game (there isn't the pressure to perform with a NED) and has been up until recently in touch with coaching. With a NED I often feel like they are people who've the game has passed them by and/or their view of it has been demonstrated as somewhat faulty.

It is all part of a wider issue I think we have where nothing we do (or seem to do) is ‘smart.’

We hire a manager because he has a few promotions from this league. We sign older players with promotions from this league or who have done alright in it previously. We have what should be millions of pounds worth of players out of contract in 8 months where we’ve banked on a promotion to keep them.

We are not actually getting an edge anywhere. It is a Sheffield Wednesday model where we should actually be a high budget Plymouth (or Sunderland / Ipswich if we’d sold some players and reinvested it well).

I think I remember at the time that Warne was part of the hiring process of Mark Thomas. At the time it seemed crazy but we were doing well so so be it I suppose. But it just seems antiquated.