Vaping

Day

42 minutes ago, David said:

Found the vaper! 😜

Mix of smoking and vaping now , trying to stop the smoking again , trouble is I love a coffee and a smoke 🤷🏻‍♂️, given up anything else like drink or a joint ect , stopped for 3 years and vaped only then in Thailand someone was arrested for vaping and held in cells when we were on holiday , thought sod that and bought some fags while there and havnt got back off them since , 

can’t deny it grinds my gears when anyone who has they’re own substance use issues re drink ect moans about smokers ( not you specifically on your post ) 

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Mix of smoking and vaping now , trying to stop the smoking again , trouble is I love a coffee and a smoke 🤷🏻‍♂️, given up anything else like drink or a joint ect , stopped for 3 years and vaped only then in Thailand someone was arrested for vaping and held in cells when we were on holiday , thought sod that and bought some fags while there and havnt got back off them since , 

can’t deny it grinds my gears when anyone who has they’re own substance use issues re drink ect moans about smokers ( not you specifically on your post ) 

My minor frustration if you like, isn't with the likes of you and other adults that have the age and wisdom on their side to make their own decisions, it's the 13+ year olds that have been lured in by the neon lights and flavours to be cool.

Is vaping the worst habit to have in the world? Maybe not, I just think as someone else said, they were introduced as an alternative to smoking, not a gateway to smoking.

4 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

A good term for people who vape egregiously in another's presence is Vapists.

It just sounds like you're accusing them of something so vile that I reckon if it fell into common usage quite a large number of would feel shamed into stopping!

Likewise - why do they call them Vape "Pens" - they aren't pens - you can't write with them and they don't even look like pens. Call them what they look like 

Robot penises.

Alright Kev? You off out back to have a suck on your little robot penis? etc

Joking aside, just got back from France and Spain and it's noticeable how few people vape compared to the UK, but they still smoke fags WAY more than we do now, so whatever the policy has been, it's clearly had an effect in the UK. We just don't know whether it's good or bad yet

I do find it annoying when people take a lungful at the football, or at a gig, or even just sat in the pub - a sense of entitlement that says they know they will get away with it, and you can all just smell my fruity yogurt burp steam

And my final thought on the matter is that I've also noticed Vapists just seem to really go for it. If you're sat outside a cafe and someone lights up a cigarette, at least you know it will be over in a couple of minutes, whereas vapists just keep on puthering their haribo halitosis continually the whole time

6 minutes ago, David said:

My minor frustration if you like, isn't with the likes of you and other adults that have the age and wisdom on their side to make their own decisions, it's the 13+ year olds that have been lured in by the neon lights and flavours to be cool.

Is vaping the worst habit to have in the world? Maybe not, I just think as someone else said, they were introduced as an alternative to smoking, not a gateway to smoking.

I’m with you on that side of it , that’s why I took your post as it was clearly intended , don’t know what the answer is as if youngsters see us older trapped buggers doing it it’s hard to tell them no and there’s always the unscrupulous who want to make money from the young ,

luckily none of my kids smoke and only have the occasional social drink , maybe that means we gave them a better environment and guidance growing up or we just got lucky 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Likewise - why do they call them Vape "Pens" - they aren't pens - you can't write with them and they don't even look like pens. Call them what they look like 

Robot penises.

Alright Kev? You off out back to have a suck on your little robot penis? etc

Joking aside, just got back from France and Spain and it's noticeable how few people vape compared to the UK, but they still smoke fags WAY more than we do now, so whatever the policy has been, it's clearly had an effect in the UK. We just don't know whether it's good or bad yet

I do find it annoying when people take a lungful at the football, or at a gig, or even just sat in the pub - a sense of entitlement that says they know they will get away with it, and you can all just smell my fruity yogurt burp steam

And my final thought on the matter is that I've also noticed Vapists just seem to really go for it. If you're sat outside a cafe and someone lights up a cigarette, at least you know it will be over in a couple of minutes, whereas vapists just keep on puthering their haribo halitosis continually the whole time

Never really understood the attraction of the vape things that make massive clouds or the fruit thing , only really interested in the ones that give next to bugger all fumes beyond inhalation and are tobacco flavoured 🤷🏻‍♂️,

never got the alcohol free beers or wines thing either ,,, what’s the ducking point🤷🏻‍♂️, remember when I first started drinking beer and alcohol thinking how do people drink this poop but stuck at it and acquired a taste for it as I liked the effect

I don't particularly like that "explosion in a Mr Kipling factory" smell, but there's worse. Jeez, the stink of weed everywhere is by far worse. 

My main concerns are the appeal to kids, and single use vapes. With 2 foster children aged 9 and 11, there's some inexplicable draw to vapes. It's a tech toy, a fruity sweet and a forbidden adults-only item. So maybe not so inexplicable. Kids will find a way to get their hands on them - particularly the disposable ones that they come across just walking around. Environmentally horrible, children pick them up and use them - god knows who has been using it before them. They could be harbouring all sorts of nasty things. 

Disgusting. But better than tobacco, and better than weed. Unpopular opinion I suspect. 

50 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't particularly like that "explosion in a Mr Kipling factory" smell, but there's worse. Jeez, the stink of weed everywhere is by far worse. 

My main concerns are the appeal to kids, and single use vapes. With 2 foster children aged 9 and 11, there's some inexplicable draw to vapes. It's a tech toy, a fruity sweet and a forbidden adults-only item. So maybe not so inexplicable. Kids will find a way to get their hands on them - particularly the disposable ones that they come across just walking around. Environmentally horrible, children pick them up and use them - god knows who has been using it before them. They could be harbouring all sorts of nasty things. 

Disgusting. But better than tobacco, and better than weed. Unpopular opinion I suspect. 

It’s a bit like the alcohpops thing ,

think they are a good thing when aimed at substitutes for smokers but they have gone somewhere else so I’m ok with some kind of regulation but not banning for the right use

13 hours ago, Archied said:

And yet you're a smoker who has gone at drinkers any amount of times on this very forum as you yourself no longer drink. Had you forgotten?!?!? 😂

21 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Vaping is one of the biggest single health improvers seen this century, the incidence of emphysema, lung cancer and heart disease related to smoking has absolutely fallen through the floor. So any discussion with regard to them has to happen with that in mind.

As for more people vaping than smoked back in the day, well fifty years ago around 70% of men smoked, now 13% of the total population does. Vaping is estimated at around 20% (admittedly, 20% of people who admit it). I couldn't easily find stats for teenagers.

Vaping has two main issues, one is regulation. That would control access but also control who is able to sell them - most of the junk found on shelves could have been made in a chemical lab in a sweatshop in Peru and few would know. Second is the environmental impact of all those (particularly) disposable units.

As a tobacco replacement they are truly excellent, as the new cool thing much has to be done or all we will do is move the problem.

Smoking was in rapid decline before vapes became so prevalent. Of course, they've helped tremendously, but we need to be careful in looking at causation/correlation. Pub and public bans, cost, social unacceptability etc all played a major part  

And whereas vaping may only be at 20% some experts have it at 90% amongst teenagers in some areas. 

5live are all over it regularly interviewing teachers, kid and parents and it's an out of control epidemic.

That and the environmental issues are what concern me. 

Not sure how you get the genie back in the bottle or the smoke back in the vape. 

20 hours ago, Scott129 said:

In terms of the littering issue, I did see that several music festivals this summer had designated vape disposal points. It wouldn't surprise me to see these start cropping up in town centres, etc. soon.

Glastonbury, on the other hand, straight up banned them.

Some people don't use existing (admittedly often overflowing) litter bins for general litter so I'm not convinced designated vape disposal points in town centres etc would necessarily do a lot to solve that problem.

15 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Smoking was in rapid decline before vapes became so prevalent. Of course, they've helped tremendously, but we need to be careful in looking at causation/correlation. Pub and public bans, cost, social unacceptability etc all played a major part  

And whereas vaping may only be at 20% some experts have it at 90% amongst teenagers in some areas. 

5live are all over it regularly interviewing teachers, kid and parents and it's an out of control epidemic.

That and the environmental issues are what concern me. 

Not sure how you get the genie back in the bottle or the smoke back in the vape. 

vapes should only ever have been available in nicotine flavour, through the health service, for smokers.  If neither was available to new consumers then 30 years down the line both are gone.  No tax revenue in that though.  

I know an ex work colleague who had a heart attack 5 years ago mainly put down to an unhealthy lifestyle. 20 fags plus 8 pints a beer a day, everyday.

He quit smoking and the beer until his operation since then he has gradually gone back to his old ways.
He tried vaping but went back to the fags !

An ex neighbour just had a heart transplant again due loads of fags and beer everyday.

I have never smoked but realise it must very difficult to kick the habit. If vaping helps people reduce their nicotine intake then good luck hope it works.

Edited by cstand