Is our budget any bigger than last year?

sage

1 hour ago, Dambuster said:

Nobody’s mentioned in the discussion about spending incoming fees from Knight and Bielik that we still owe Arsenal some dosh, how much and how it is structured we probably won’t get to know.

That’s literally been mentioned about 1000 times over the last year. It was paid off when we left admin.

Even if our budget is bigger than last year. Even if we have 5 million to spend. It doesn't mean that we will or more importantly should. 

If we can make a squad worthy of competing at the top end of league 1 without spending a penny then I think we absolutely should. There is more than enough free agents about to make this squad better than it currently is. I am happy with business so far, and I am sure with a few extra editions, whether that's frees or loans we will be in a competitive top 6 position.  

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s literally been mentioned about 1000 times over the last year. It was paid off when we left admin.

Not sure that's strictly true. I suspect there is an acceptance of the liability and commitment to pay it off, as per the payment schedules.

Football debts were included in the whole cost of exiting administration but that may still have included committed future payments rather being settled by one very large cheque.

45 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not true. Only paid off up to the point in which we should. We pay in instalments, so will still owe for the final year. Should be finished by the end of this season. 

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

Not sure that's strictly true. I suspect there is an acceptance of the liability and commitment to pay it off, as per the payment schedules.

Football debts were included in the whole cost of exiting administration but that may still have included committed future payments rather being settled by one very large cheque.

Anything due will have been paid. Anything still due (because of Mel’s ludicrous set up of transfer fees) will have been factored into the budget. Neither will take up any money received for Knight and Bielik.

On 18/07/2023 at 00:20, sage said:

There was talk of a relaxation of the business plan and small fees being paid out, but having raised maybe £2m to £2.5m in sales and 11 people leaving Inc end of loans, we don't seem to be upping the ante at all.

I'm not suggesting MM style frittering but I was hoping for a couple of real upgrades. 

We didnt have a budget last year 

so yes it is lol

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Anything due will have been paid. Anything still due (because of Mel’s ludicrous set up of transfer fees) will have been factored into the budget. Neither will take up any money received for Knight and Bielik.

I assume you had a chat with Stephen Pearce and David Clowes about this did you? 
by the way that’s how all transfers are set up including those with loyalty payments on free transfers  - do you remember us paying Norwich for Rob Earnshaw while he was scoring against us for the Red dogs? 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

How do you know how the budget has been allocated? Costs are costs and income is income; how each pot is allocated is irrelevant. The forward commitments have to be met by the club not by David Clowse personally though, of course, as the owner it his responsibility to cover shortfalls as he sees fit. That might include selling players.

Edited by StarterForTen

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I thought the recent conclusion was the opposite i.e. that we owed for £1.5m Bielik and possibly Joz. Debts can carry across to new owners via Administration so it's definitely possible from a business perspective.

On 18/07/2023 at 20:10, CBRammette said:

Presumably some budget will go to offering existing players that we want to keep improved longer contracts? Cant see this mentioned anywhere

Only one so far is Rooney.

Bird and Sibley are probably our highest earners now along with Hourihane, so I can't see them getting much more. Cashin is the one likely to get a big increase. 

10 hours ago, sage said:

Only one so far is Rooney.

Bird and Sibley are probably our highest earners now along with Hourihane, so I can't see them getting much more. Cashin is the one likely to get a big increase. 

All 3 are in the last year of their contracts. Get on 3 years now and, if PW decides to sell now, or in a year's time, any fee would be higher than with 1 year (or zero years) left.

Just now, MadAmster said:

All 3 are in the last year of their contracts. Get on 3 years now and, if PW decides to sell now, or in a year's time, any fee would be higher than with 1 year (or zero years) left.

Oh I think we should extend their contracts but we won't be allowed to give them a pay increase this year.

6 minutes ago, sage said:

Oh I think we should extend their contracts but we won't be allowed to give them a pay increase this year.

They are on a figure below last season's wages cap limit (£12K?)and I believe that figure has been raised this season but I don't know the new figure. Surely, we can extend contracts within the bounds of the cap which would mean we can give the 3 a raise? Seems logical but, there again, we are talking EFL 😉

Just now, MadAmster said:

They are on a figure below last season's wages cap limit (£12K?)and I believe that figure has been raised this season but I don't know the new figure. Surely, we can extend contracts within the bounds of the cap which would mean we can give the 3 a raise? Seems logical but, there again, we are talking EFL 😉

Was it 12k? Not sure we ever saw it in writing. Hourihane was paid 10k I heard and was the highest paid on the new players. 

I'm not sure that has increased just we can now pay modest fees.

We should have the biggest budget in the division this year by some margin.

Looking at last year's average attendances, of this year's League One, Bolton had the next highest average, around 8.5k lower than us.

That's almost 50% higher than our nearest rivals.

1 hour ago, sage said:

We should have the biggest budget in the division this year by some margin.

Looking at last year's average attendances, of this year's League One, Bolton had the next highest average, around 8.5k lower than us.

That's almost 50% higher than our nearest rivals.

I agree to an extent. But what we don’t know is the running costs of the club and academy. We may get more in, but we probably pay more out too. 

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

I agree to an extent. But what we don’t know is the running costs of the club and academy. We may get more in, but we probably pay more out too. 

Undoubtedly, but we should be able to out pay or out bid any other L1 club if we really want that player. 

Again not suggesting we go crazy just trying to get a feel for where we are and what we can expect. 

23 hours ago, sage said:

Was it 12k? Not sure we ever saw it in writing. Hourihane was paid 10k I heard and was the highest paid on the new players. 

I'm not sure that has increased just we can now pay modest fees.

I still don't get your comment on not being able to offer Sibs, Cash and Bird new deals on higher money than they are currently on. Why can't we offer them a new contract within the wage cap on more than they are currently on?

5 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I still don't get your comment on not being able to offer Sibs, Cash and Bird new deals on higher money than they are currently on. Why can't we offer them a new contract within the wage cap on more than they are currently on?

I didn't say Cashin, but Bird and Sibley were given contracts in different times and there may not be much room between their current wage and the cap.