Things that never crossed your mind (why is Spain not the same time as the UK)

Bob The Badger

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I was going to say:

Will Ferrell Elf GIF by filmeditor

but when I look at their longitudes, Edinburgh is 3.1883 deg west and Cardiff only 3.1681 deg west, so Edinburgh is maybe 2km west of Cardiff.

Unbelievable, Jeff!

.....and.....I think, Greenland is North, South, East, and West, of Iceland.

21 hours ago, Highgate said:

Alaska is the most northerly, westerly and easterly state in the US. 

We woz robbed say Russia 😁

On October 18, 1867, the U.S. formally takes possession of Alaska after purchasing the territory from Russia for $7.2 million, or less than two cents an acre. Indigenous peoples settled the unforgiving territory thousands of years earlier. The Alaska purchase comprised 586,412 square miles, about twice the size of Texas, and was championed by William Henry Seward, the enthusiastically expansionist secretary of state under President Andrew Johnson.

On 29/06/2023 at 14:59, BaaLocks said:

Edinburgh is west of Cardiff

I googled it because I thought was some inside joke. 

Does everyone know this? Cus in 37 years it's been kept secret from me

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

I googled it because I thought was some inside joke. 

Does everyone know this? Cus in 37 years it's been kept secret from me

It was a question on Who wants to be a millionaire some years ago....

"Which two capitals of UK countries are on the same line of longitude"

I thought it might be Cardiff and Belfast but that was because I was thinking of the map of Britain which is vertically upright....and it ain't like that on the globe.....

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

One I heard over the weekend......

Why do we say that we get into or in a car or lorry, but we get on or onto a bus/train/plane etc?

Not sure in the case of a lorry but you have to climb up to get on a bus, train and plane, hence onto.

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Why do we say that we get into or in a car or lorry, but we get on or onto a bus/train/plane etc?

We get into our cars like we get into our house. We get onto a train because we are just riding as temporary passengers. 

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Ah, I had this one explained to me - you go on to something that was classically / initially open topped and into something that was originally covered. For example, you go onto a market but you go into a shop. You go on the street but you go in a house. And yes, planes were initially open topped.

I am sure someone will point out an example where this doesn't hold true and, well, I don't care.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Not sure in the case of a lorry but you have to climb up to get on a bus, train and plane, hence onto.

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

We get into our cars like we get into our house. We get onto a train because we are just riding as temporary passengers. 

45 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

What if your a passenger IN a car.

The only theory that seemed to ring true is that if you don't move around once you're aboard the transport, then you say "in" (car/van/lorry). If you can move around while travelling, it becomes "on".

So, you get into a boat but on a yacht/ferry/ship

One of many language rules we all follow but don't really know why.