Speaking Derbonian

BaaLocks

I was working with someone from France the other day and ended up explaining to them what the word 'nesh' means (double strange this one, as I never heard it when I lived in Derby but it came into use after I left). I know we have 'mi duc' and the like but wondered what other words we have in Derby that are specific to at least the East Midlands.

Some that come to mind:

• Mardy
  • Bolched (getting your hair cut really short and being told 'blimey, you've been bolched')
  • Nongy (only the Welsh, who call it a dunkie, have a better name for it)
  • Boca (probably generational but anyone who looked a tramp, in honour of Mr Wright)
  • Ote and note
  • Jitty
  • Tea (the evening meal)

11 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I was working with someone from France the other day and ended up explaining to them what the word 'nesh' means (double strange this one, as I never heard it when I lived in Derby but it came into use after I left). I know we have 'mi duc' and the like but wondered what other words we have in Derby that are specific to at least the East Midlands.

Some that come to mind:

• Mardy
  • Bolched (getting your hair cut really short and being told 'blimey, you've been bolched')
  • Boca (probably generational but anyone who looked a tramp, in honour of Mr Wright)
  • Ote and note
  • Jitty
  • Tea (the evening meal)

Cob= bread roll

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Some that come to mind:

• Mardy
  • Ote and note
  • Jitty
  • Tea (the evening meal)

Hang on - we are the only ones who say "Tea" for evening meal? Surely not?

I'm Derby born and bred and I've never heard "bolched" ever. The rest I am well aware of, fer mi sins

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Some that come to mind:

• Mardy
  • Ote and note
  • Jitty
  • Tea (the evening meal)

"Boltched/Bolched" is right there, at the very back of the rear shelf of my memory bank.  Must be 50 years since I heard/said that!  Never would have come up with that without your reminder.  👍

Boca and Nongy were very common during my schooldays. (born Jan '63, left school '79).
Jitty is still the only word I use to describe a... erm... well... jitty!  Obvs!

Dinner at lunchtime
Tea at tea time!

Afternoon tea is for the well-to-do.  Never been able to afford supper!

Others not mentioned... not sure how exclusive to Derby they are...

Duds (sweets)

Chungy (Chewing gum)

Treetards (Supporters of Nottingham Forest FC)!  🤣

Was in T'Barnsleh only this morning... ordered a bacon cob out of habit.  Well, you can imagine the conversation that followed!  Ended up with bacon on a "tea-cake"... When I asked where the currants were... well, you can imagine the conversation that followed!  🤣

40 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Hang on - we are the only ones who say "Tea" for evening meal? Surely not?

I'm Derby born and bred and I've never heard "bolched" ever. The rest I am well aware of, fer mi sins

'Tea' in the context of a meal is the short version of 'high tea'. It's less of a geographical thing and more of a class thing, being eaten after a day's work.

Phrases and dialect change depending where you are in Derbyshire and it can overlap with the counties that surround us, so because we are surrounded by a lot of different places it means there is a lot of overlap with what might more of a Birmingham phrase or even a Lancashire or Cheshire phrase. I quite like the word mithered, which if you look online is a derbyshire phrase but I think pretty much anywhere north of Birmingham uses it!

Edited by TuffLuff

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Same as me with 'nesh' - I never even heard it used till I met someone from Derby who used it and was amazed I didn't understand it.

As for cob - we've been here before so I won't put petrol on the fire of that one. These are pumps though, no debate.

image.thumb.png.a5e6797f2da5e0d7aa74b71d8ddf6d39.png

14 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Same as me with 'nesh' - I never even heard it used till I met someone from Derby who used it and was amazed I didn't understand it.

As for cob - we've been here before so I won't put petrol on the fire of that one. These are pumps though, no debate.

image.thumb.png.a5e6797f2da5e0d7aa74b71d8ddf6d39.png

Until the elastic goes...then they're Binned

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Is it native Derbonian to say

Wunt - wouldn't 

Dunt - doesn't 

Int - isn't

C¢nt - couldn't 

?

Someone once said to me that the Derbyshire ‘accent’ is just making your point as quickly as possible, and what’s the point in using 2 syllables when 1 will do!

We always used to say ‘Bolched’, in fact I’ve said it recently. 
my mum used to say ‘he’s a right megrum’, when someone was ugly. 
your face was your ‘clock’ 

‘I could eat a scabby hoss’ when you’re hungry. 
If you’ve burnt something, you’ve ‘bont it’

9 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Some that come to mind:

• Mardy
  • Ote and note
  • Jitty
  • Tea (the evening meal)

Mardy and Tea  are used in the West Midlands, anorl. 😁