Speaking Derbonian

BaaLocks

My early childhood was spent in various military establishments around the world - and so I picked up a mish-mash of accents, and to misquote the late, great Lemmy Kilmister, everything broader than everything else. Then, for a while, I found myself in Little Eaton, Chesterfield, Ambergate etc for reasons I cannot divulge.

My Grandad, hearing me utter some colloquialism he was perhaps unfamiliar with, came out with "Dust cum f'Hobrook, surry?" - now that's talking proper like worrah do.

Chungy and jitty are the ones that are very specific to Derby for me.

When I moved away some phrases sounded very Derby... getting on the 'bus'....(really over pronounced U) and you coming to 'ah aase' (our house).

I still cringe in Cheshire asking for a sc-cone (not sc-gone) as it sounds ridiculously posh but is the common way to say it in Derby.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

My early childhood was spent in various military establishments around the world - and so I picked up a mish-mash of accents, and to misquote the late, great Lemmy Kilmister, everything broader than everything else. Then, for a while, I found myself in Little Eaton, Chesterfield, Ambergate etc for reasons I cannot divulge.

My Grandad, hearing me utter some colloquialism he was perhaps unfamiliar with, came out with "Dust cum f'Hobrook, surry?" - now that's talking proper like worrah do.

Tiger Woods was playing a round of golf with a local Holbrook player, Holbrook player on the T and boom hits the ball within 1 foot of the hole, Tiger says to the lad...nice T shot, Holbrook lads looks at his own shirt and lifts the bottom of it and says cheers yoth.

23 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

My Mum, who wasn't from Derby said I when I first was at school I used to consider the past tense of the verb to treat to be tret. As in "I got tret really bad at school today". If I did, I don't do that now.

We do that now!
eg:  "C'mon love, let's go out, and I'll tret yer ter lunch"! 

Started off as a piss take, along with "That'll learn 'em", but it seems to have become a habit we can't now shake off!

Pretty sure we only use it with each other though... I hope so, as others will think we're proper thickos!  🤣

57 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

We do that now!

Started off as a piss take, along with "That'll learn 'em", but it seems to have become a habit we can't now shake off!

Pretty sure we only use it with each other though... I hope so, as others will think we're proper thickos!  🤣

Bit like Semt, for the word seemed. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

We do that now!

It's how you was brung up

51 minutes ago, angieram said:

Dunna say canna, it inna rate! 

Tode yer me accent wurra otchpotch.

'Canna' is a bit Staffordshireish, I believe. Utch might be able to confirm that. Perhaps, as a kid, I spent too much time at Trentham Lido.

On 23/06/2023 at 12:00, BaaLocks said:

I was working with someone from France the other day and ended up explaining to them what the word 'nesh' means (double strange this one, as I never heard it when I lived in Derby but it came into use after I left). I know we have 'mi duc' and the like but wondered what other words we have in Derby that are specific to at least the East Midlands.

Some that come to mind:

• Mardy
  • Bolched (getting your hair cut really short and being told 'blimey, you've been bolched')
  • Nongy (only the Welsh, who call it a dunkie, have a better name for it)
  • Boca (probably generational but anyone who looked a tramp, in honour of Mr Wright)
  • Ote and note
  • Jitty
  • Tea (the evening meal)

Never heard this before.  Weirdly heard it for the first time today from my grandma about her great grandson.  She came to Derby in about 53 from Ireland.  She first heard it in Derby in the 60's relating to Skinhead before that was a term