Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

7 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I’m suggesting PW should say nowt, We’ve been doing our business close to our chest, Coming out with your suggestion of he could be stoking up more interest will may I suggest make teams think we’re putting a gun to their heads, Those doing the buying aren’t people who are new to this game.

We have … and look at the meltdowns its been causing amongst our more precious supporters 😂😂

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

From the interview quotes in the DET and other comments from Warne in previous interviews, he doesn’t handle the negotiations. Pearce and Clowes will decide what his value is to the club and if a bid comes close to that. Warne says in that DET article he doesn’t want to lose Knight and Knight is training well, but he’s realistic about the situation. 

"I've spoken to Knighty a couple of times. He isn't like knocking on my door to leave. But I am aware of interest from a couple of Championship clubs. I am aware of bids.

"I am aware of what the player has been offered. I am aware of everything. So the common sense of my brain is being honest - I can see Knighty leaving. I don't want him to leave from a football manager's point of view. Why would I?

"But I also, I've said all along, I don't want to have hostages here and he isn't that he's definitely not that he's a great kid.

"He's trained really well this week. But I honestly think by the end of this summer it will happen, but it would only happen if our club agreed to other club's evaluation now, they might not.

"And if that's the case then he runs his contract out here. Great. The figure has to match the value we see in the player. And if that's the case and the ownership people above my head, regard that figure to be good enough and the player is happy with it, then we part company. It will be a sad day for me because I love Knighty."

Well that all seems perfectly reasonable and a balanced opinion on the matter to me. If, for example, two clubs have bid 1.5 million, then we can hopefully squeeze a few more hundred thousand out of them. If they don't meet our valuation, then we have a well-motivated player who will do his best for Derby County next season. Injuries notwithstanding he will more than likely be playing at a higher level in 24-25, so his career will progress. We're progressing as a club regardless of whether Knight stays or not. 

For what it's worth I doubt Warne has said anything the club aren't happy with.

46 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

hmmm I’d have thought it was a carefully scripted message aimed at getting a deal over the line. Telling the world the bids are insufficient but not far off seems a blatant effort to wring a little more out of one of the bidders; to allow him to reinvest asap

You’re suggesting PW might be prejudicing a deal by wading in. Well that’s more than problematic if the result is an unhappy JK is playing for him next season. 

I think we should give PW the benefit of the doubt on that one 

Exactly, Warne knows the deals done, possibly a fee agreed with a couple of clubs and it’s down to Knight to choose the right deal for himself.

Looks like he’s off then. Good luck to him, he’s a promising youngster who’s hit a bit of a plateau the last couple of years. Unsurprising given the problems at the club.

I’d imagine a change of club will be good for him if he picks well.

For us it’s a shame but we we’re well aware it was a possibility. It will certainly free up some money for transfers.

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Think thats says it all though… 30k for a kid with that level of promise… as raw as he was

even if they 10 xd it which they probably didnt do, feels we got no where near his market value

i mean 30k … talk about low balling 

The problem with Ebiowei is that we didn't 'develop' him, we got him on a 1 Yr deal for nowt in the summer, wasn't allowed to offer a longer deal, so he was out of contract and us receiving anything for him could be considered a bonus.

As someone else said, they paid well for Plange, and importantly paid it up front to help us survive until the summer, which shouldn't be forgotten!

If we are given 30k (if that's the offer) and a % sell on then so be it, I will still be grateful for what they did last Jan with Plange.

WRT Knight, if we get £2m then I'd snap their hand off, would like a 25% sell on clause though

1 minute ago, Rich84 said:

The problem with Ebiowei is that we didn't 'develop' him, we got him on a 1 Yr deal for nowt in the summer, wasn't allowed to offer a longer deal, so he was out of contract and us receiving anything for him could be considered a bonus.

As someone else said, they paid well for Plange, and importantly paid it up front to help us survive until the summer, which shouldn't be forgotten!

If we are given 30k (if that's the offer) and a % sell on then so be it, I will still be grateful for what they did last Jan with Plange.

WRT Knight, if we get £2m then I'd snap their hand off, would like a 25% sell on clause though

For what its worth i think 2m is a good price taking everything into consideration

1.5m and its lile meh … could be worse could be better anything north of 2m in my book is good going.

4 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

when he first burst onto the first team scene, Tommo looked to have Knight’s potential. But his form since then has been so erratic - in some games completely unable to string passes together and seriously lightweight in a challenge  - that the two are sadly simply miles apart. Hope that will change, there is time. Playing out of defence badly has I think wrecked his confidence  

He manages to have less end product than knight.  Quite the achievement.

19 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

We have … and look at the meltdowns its been causing amongst our more precious supporters 😂😂

PW’s latest comments about Knight leaving and his valuation are not helpful and - speaking as a professional negotiator myself - downright stupid. Honesty is a nice trait but not when negotiating in a situation like this …

As a negotiator I am basically hearing him say that he wants him go (although he might not mean that) and that the ‘non-offensive offers which are almost there’ equate to a selling price of 2m max based on the fact that everyone knows two offers (max being 1.5m) have been turned down.

Sorry, but PW should have just kept it to ‘we want to keep him but realize  that he’s in demand…’.’.

Honesty doesn’t pay dividends when you are selling an asset…