Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Nixon linking Cruz Allen with Man Utd, Chelsea & Newcastle 🙄

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24856491/manchester-united-chelsea-newcastle-derby-cruz-allen/

And this is exactly why the academy players need to see a good pathway to the first team otherwise they will be gone. And who could blame them?? 

Aside from admin and Morris the things that have made me most angry about derby in recent years was Rooney dragging Whittaker off after bringing him on. w*** management and spelled the end for a promising young player. 

Never understand the grief he gets from our fans - his only crime was to not set the world on fire as a young lad coming into a team permanently fighting fires. 

2 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

And this is exactly why the academy players need to see a good pathway to the first team otherwise they will be gone. And who could blame them?? 

Fingers crossed he sees that at the moment as he has played for the first team this year as a 17 year old. 

He’d be years away from it with any of those other teams. 

41 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Aside from admin and Morris the things that have made me most angry about derby in recent years was Rooney dragging Whittaker off after bringing him on. w*** management and spelled the end for a promising young player. 

Never understand the grief he gets from our fans - his only crime was to not set the world on fire as a young lad coming into a team permanently fighting fires. 

I agree that some fans expected too much of him and Rooney substituting like that was excessively brutal, even if it was a fair reflection of his performance and effort on that occasion.

His behaviour after he scored for Swansea against us, however, wasn't the classiest of responses when the club was facing relegation. That was always going to get some fans backs up. Scoring alone was enough of a ripost to those who dissed him at Derby.

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

I agree that some fans expected too much of him and Rooney substituting like that was excessively brutal, even if it was a fair reflection of his performance and effort on that occasion.

His behaviour after he scored for Swansea against us, however, wasn't the classiest of responses when the club was facing relegation. That was always going to get some fans backs up. Scoring alone was enough of a ripost to those who dissed him at Derby.

He’d been booed none stop by a fan base with no reason to boo him. He’d been written off by our fan base and our manager. 

Then got bought by a better side than us. I want to see forwards celebrate when they score. A good one gets what less than 200 goals in a long career? They should celebrate them. It doesn’t happen every week unless you’re Haaland. 

Hate this idea that you can’t celebrate because you used to play for someone. It isn’t respect it’s just soft as bollox from the previous team’s fans. 

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

He’d been booed none stop by a fan base with no reason to boo him. He’d been written off by our fan base and our manager. 

Then got bought by a better side than us. I want to see forwards celebrate when they score. A good one gets what less than 200 goals in a long career? They should celebrate them. It doesn’t happen every week unless you’re Haaland. 

Hate this idea that you can’t celebrate because you used to play for someone. It isn’t respect it’s just soft as bollox from the previous team’s fans. 

Booed non-stop? Are you sure? There weren't any fans in the ground that day? He made 4 starts for Derby's first team in front of a crowd before Covid struck, and dozen or so largely brief sub appearances, and the entire 20/21 season was played in front of zero fans at Pride Park. "Abused on social media" perhaps? 

There's celebrating, and then there's rubbing it in, and the latter was certainly how Morgan approached it. That's always going to wind some fans up and provoke a backlash. I don't remember him getting the dog's abuse when he came back for Plymouth, none that I could hear anyway.

The only DCFC player I've booed in over 50 years of watching is Mark Pembridge in his last game at the Baseball Ground when he turned in the most "couldn't-be-arsed" performance I've ever witnessed. As far as I'm concerned, it's largely counter-productive.

31 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Booed non-stop? Are you sure? There weren't any fans in the ground that day? He made 4 starts for Derby's first team in front of a crowd before Covid struck, and dozen or so largely brief sub appearances, and the entire 20/21 season was played in front of zero fans at Pride Park. "Abused on social media" perhaps? 

There's celebrating, and then there's rubbing it in, and the latter was certainly how Morgan approached it. That's always going to wind some fans up and provoke a backlash. I don't remember him getting the dog's abuse when he came back for Plymouth, none that I could hear anyway.

The only DCFC player I've booed in over 50 years of watching is Mark Pembridge in his last game at the Baseball Ground when he turned in the most "couldn't-be-arsed" performance I've ever witnessed. As far as I'm concerned, it's largely counter-productive.

I am surprised you didn’t add Kenny Miller at home to Reading to that list.

10 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Not worrying about this. It's almost the identical story to when Jack Thompson was offered his contract. Then it was Chelsea, City and Spurs; always top six clubs that are suddenly interested. Agents feeding desperate  journalists a story knowing they'll print it and it gives publicity for the client. I think the need for a pathway is recognised within the club and it will be defined. That's how Hale worked at Southampton. He and Fleming and the other academy coaches have not come here to be messed about. The academy as a resource is vital to the club and we simply have to make best use of it. I'm sure Warne will come to realise that very soon if he doesn't already.

51 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Not worrying about this. It's almost the identical story to when Jack Thompson was offered his contract. Then it was Chelsea, City and Spurs; always top six clubs that are suddenly interested. Agents feeding desperate  journalists a story knowing they'll print it and it gives publicity for the client. I think the need for a pathway is recognised within the club and it will be defined. That's how Hale worked at Southampton. He and Fleming and the other academy coaches have not come here to be messed about. The academy as a resource is vital to the club and we simply have to make best use of it. I'm sure Warne will come to realise that very soon if he doesn't already.

I'd like him to say so publicly. And in some detail and in a way that we can tell he means it. If he did I would get behind him

22 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I'd like him to say so publicly. And in some detail and in a way that we can tell he means it. If he did I would get behind him

No clubs publicise internal discussions. Why should they? It's where issues get thrashed out. This is a rebuild of the whole club and a work in progress. It's the end product that matters. If anyone involved can't buy into it, there's always someone waiting in the wings. The head coach is directly accountable to the owner, not the fans. Thank goodness.

Edited by Banksy

I was bored to tears last week with the lack of football to watch and except for the two England games there was hardly anything of much interest on TV. Now, I've been to the game yesterday, I'm going to the Youth Cup game at Bolton tomorrow and then Port Vale on Tuesday. My wife asked me if I've got a day off this week and I had a slip of the tongue and said Wednesday . I've just realised the U21 have a Derbyshire Cup game on Wednesday at Staveley MW.....Oops. That one is going to have to hit my pocket....... quick trip to the florists for a bouquet in the morning and that should fix it. She loves her flowers as much as I love the Rams and my wife of course. I think the job's a good 'un. 😉😂🐏🐏.

Edited by Banksy

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really likeable lad who has been with us forever. I do hope he stays, though it's very hard to blame the lads or their parents if big money deals are being touted. I do get frustrated by these moves though, as while I accept that the current rules attempt to prevent youngsters being horse traded, many are just farmed straight out to the selling club's competitors anyway and any and all returns (or the lion's share) just go straight to the buying club, not the club that brought the player through.

Equally, I do wish more of these youngers would hang about at the clubs that nurtured them for long enough for said clubs to reap some significant benefit, in the Bellingham mode. I appreciate though that that's probably naive and I do wonder what call I'd make were it me being lured away at such a young age.

12 hours ago, Banksy said:

No clubs publicise internal discussions. Why should they? It's where issues get thrashed out. This is a rebuild of the whole club and a work in progress. It's the end product that matters. If anyone involved can't buy into it, there's always someone waiting in the wings. The head coach is directly accountable to the owner, not the fans. Thank goodness.

It’s not a question of the club publicising internal discussions. Simply Warne telling us that he is committed to youth development and the progressive inclusion of young players. He can do that himself alongside all of the other things he chooses to tell us about his management philosophy and techniques such as giving out mugs and the wall