Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

13 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

I’m sorry if I touched a nerve for some reason with you. I have been posting on here a while and most people here I believe would consider my posts to be polite, balanced and fairly positive as well as accurate. Happy to be corrected on that though….

But hey ho that’s up to you. 

Its football opinions differ. 

Sorry, I didn't have you in mind at all when I posted that. I was thinking of the people who surround me at the away games and vilify the team with their invective at every opportunity. The remark I made was aimed at the poster of the Games of Throne comment, which I thought was well over the top. His remark seemed inclusive of the whole club and well beyond a difference of opinion.

Edited by Banksy

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

21 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Sorry, I didn't have you in mind at all when I posted that. I was thinking of the people who surround me at the away games and vilify the team with their invective at every opportunity. The remark I made was aimed at the poster of the Games of Throne comment, which I thought was well over the top. His remark seemed inclusive of the whole club and well beyond a difference of opinion.

Apologies. My misunderstanding. What this forum never gets from me is the singling out or vilification of any player.

For me the academy is about player development, the results IMO are unimportant but that is also why I am such an advocate for young players going out on loan in men’s football where the result does matter. 

2 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

I’m sorry if I touched a nerve for some reason with you. I have been posting on here a while and most people here I believe would consider my posts to be polite, balanced and fairly positive as well as accurate. Happy to be corrected on that though….

But hey ho that’s up to you. 

Its football opinions differ. 

Always enjoy reading your posts. 

And I do as well, while Banksy also seems a welcome addition.

Meanwhile, here are the highlights from the Middlesborough game: https://www.mfc.co.uk/videos/4cdab4c9-f119-4bab-8d96-9f7996f04252.  There doesn't seem to be any sound, although that could just be representative of the atmosphere that the Smoggies manage to generate these days.  As you'll see, the goal is not one where cover ourselves in glory, but hopefully it will be a learning experience.

Thank you.

It was a game of few real chances and IMO their goal is just a bit of inexperience and lack of physicality. Playing u21s is a more physical step up in development at times and it just takes minutes on the pitch to learn that. It was a solid performance from a young team though. 

You can see that physical / competitive development in Evans, Robinson, Weston, Lindsay, Gibson Hammond, Radcliffe and the others who have all played this level for a while and in men’s football. As much of a purist that I am when it comes to how I like football to be played sometimes the players just need to develop that nasty, competitive, physical edge to their game which only comes from playing in those environments. 

Thats why I always say Loans are the best form of development for any young player regardless of what step it is. We all know that Football is different when the result matters. 

17 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

Where was Ben Ratliffe last night is he injured? He looked like he was breaking through to the first team a few weeks ago and was included on the bench a few times. He’s one I think looks really good

He’s injured. Be another couple of weeks yet.