Summer Rumour Mill

sage

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Not that much no but that is ice cream not a player.

Ipwhich town has now entered the race and I think others be bidding too 1.5 to 2m is a joke way to freaking low peanuts.

If there are few clubs keen on signing him we should get his current market worth. But unfortunately it wont be as much as you hope.
Nobody knows for sure that he actually wants to go and we want to sell him. If he were to stay and have a stellar season he would likely get better personal terms when he leaves but he could also be injured and be in a worse position. I like to think Jason is perhaps torn between wanting to stay to see us back up and what he is being told is best for his career. 
I cant help thinking all of younger players here through the last few years were perhaps more effected by everything that went on and being thrown fully into "saving" us than we think meaning a bit of a hangover last year. Hopefully after a proper summer break they will be rejuvenated hopefully still at Derby. 

I reckon Bird & Cashin need keeping as can be mainstays , Knight and Sibley can command fees so could go to fund goalscorers . 

BTW  i would hope incoming fees are undisclosed so helping us play our available funds close to our chest.. 

25 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

If we sold Knight, Bird and Bielik, and replaced them with Clarke Harris, May, Brannigan and say Bonnis I think that’s good business and fills some gaps we’re severely lacking

On the contrary - we're well stocked up on gaps! (Just kidding)

Couldn't argue with Clarke-Harris in for Bielik (since surely the latter is not staying anyway) but not so sure about the others.

Re Knight: as is clear, the trade-off is his monetary value now vs. in one year's time, and whether he's a better short-term (promotion-seeking) option than someone we've probably lined up as his potential replacement. But for whatever reason, after a very promising start playing out of position last season, he didn't really build on that, even though he would appear to be very much a Warne player. More time needed for things to click, or a sign that he's not going to be a vital cog for Warne after all?

I wouldn't sell Bird unless someone's offering £10m* plus cinema tickets and my favourite flavour of ice cream.

(* May not be a serious valuation... but I still wouldn't sell him. Probably one for a different thread)

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

For me, the reality is Knight (or Bird) is not going to be the difference between promotion or not.

We were short of finishers and a decent last ball and have lost the player head and shoulders above the rest of at both.

Getting in players to rectify that is our priority  and if we have to sell to bring in a fee to help us do that then I'm good with that.

Currently I just can't see where any goals are coming from and it definitely isn't from Knight or Bird. As long as we are able to rectify that with 2 or 3 forward looking players then I can take us letting players go to fund that.

Exciting weeks ahead.

For me that decent last ball could easily come from Bird. If we have to sell Knighty to get a couple of decent strikers in then so be it. Bird is a much smarter player and even last season made a big difference as could be seen when he was injured.

39 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

If we sold Knight, Bird and Bielik, and replaced them with Clarke Harris, May, Brannigan and say Bonnis I think that’s good business and fills some gaps we’re severely lacking. 

Selling Knight, Bird and Bielik also creates new gaps to fill.
If we could afford Brannagan that would be one of them sorted, then it leaves us with Hourihane, Smith, Sibley, Thompson and Brannagan as our midfield options. Although perhaps supported by some of the academy I’d argue we’d need another “senior pro” in midfield to replace Bird were he to be sold. 

22 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

I reckon Bird & Cashin need keeping as can be mainstays , Knight and Sibley can command fees so could go to fund goalscorers

BTW  i would hope incoming fees are undisclosed so helping us play our available funds close to our chest.. 

No need to sell Sibley this season.

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Selling Knight, Bird and Bielik also creates new gaps to fill.
If we could afford Brannagan that would be one of them sorted, then it leaves us with Hourihane, Smith, Sibley, Thompson and Brannagan as our midfield options. Although perhaps supported by some of the academy I’d argue we’d need another “senior pro” in midfield to replace Bird were he to be sold. 

Where is the idea we are having to sell Bird come from?

33 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

If we sold Knight, Bird and Bielik, and replaced them with Clarke Harris, May, Brannigan and say Bonnis I think that’s good business and fills some gaps we’re severely lacking. 

D be very disappointed in those trades, especially with Bird being thrown into the mix. Where's the resale value in that group? If you're lucky, you'll get back what you spend. The value sof Bird and Knight will only increase from this point.

Clarke-Harris - already at his peak, one dimensional, risk at Championship level

May - not suited to the style we'll play, already 29, hit a purple patch in his career, never played above league 1

Brannigan - another in the peak of his career, weaker defensively than Bird, only a little bit more creative, assists less, goals come mostly from penalties

Bonnis - another risk due to onpy ever playing in the N. Ireland leagues.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think it is a legacy from threads about who must not be sold - under contract, I'm not sure there is any talk of Bird actually being sold!

Just now, jameso said:

I think it is a legacy from threads about who must not be sold - under contract, I'm not sure there is any talk of Bird actually being sold!

I thought it might be the little bit from Hull's similar list posted on Twitter ie who they'd like. We'd be mad to sell Birdy unless he's not happy here.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

For me that decent last ball could easily come from Bird. If we have to sell Knighty to get a couple of decent strikers in then so be it. Bird is a much smarter player and even last season made a big difference as could be seen when he was injured.

I agree Roy, Bird splits opinion with the fans it seems but I’m a fan. I think he’s got a calmness and maturity about him, plenty of his teammates and managers speak highly of him, and he’s shown at times he can play a killer pass and score (just not often enough). I think once pre-season is done, in the setup Warne decides for the team (a back 3 more than likely which may not need screening as much) we might see Bird start to deliver more goals and assists as cm’s did in his Rotherham teams.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

My post was in reply to someone suggesting that. There are very tenuous Twitter rumours among Hull’s fan base that they’re interested in signing Bird. 

Ideally we’d keep all the young talent remaining, realistically I think Knight will be sold and Bielik looks to be a matter of time before he’s gone.

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I agree Roy, Bird splits opinion with the fans it seems but I’m a fan. I think he’s got a calmness and maturity about him, plenty of his teammates and managers speak highly of him, and he’s shown at times he can play a killer pass and score (just not often enough). I think once pre-season is done, in the setup Warne decides for the team (a back 3 more than likely which may not need screening as much) we might see Bird start to deliver more goals and assists as cm’s did in his Rotherham teams.

Bird is better when there’s someone else anchoring and he hasn’t got to do it. No coincidence his best few months in a Derby shirt were with Bielik playing the role he usually has to. 

I suspect that our revised business plan doesn't allow DC to pump money into the club, the club has to show that it's self funding.

With this in mind, I believe that the club will have to sell players in order to buy better players up front.

Even though we will get a similar fee for Knight in 12 months time, we need the money generated from his sale, to buy better quality forwards, now 

I think we’re going to have three in midfield and I’d like Bird to be the main link between defence and attack.

We need a mobile runner and tackler (think Shinnie but young) and a more attacking midfield player who’s not afraid to get in the box late. 

I’d say Brannigan was a candidate for that role, but there will be others.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Bird is better when there’s someone else anchoring and he hasn’t got to do it. No coincidence his best few months in a Derby shirt were with Bielik playing the role he usually has to. 

I think it was QPR away under Rooney during the Covid season that Bird played a slightly more advanced role and looked excellent. I’ve said a few times if we play a 3 in midfield, I’d like to see Bird and Hourihane ahead of someone else as the anchor (Smith now we have Ward at rwb) and if we play a 2 man midfield I don’t know that there needs to be an anchor with the 3 cbs. 

On the subject of Warne-type players I don't reckon a midfielder with very few assists and goals is a Warne type player.  Not long after he started he said that hed told one of his midfielders that they needed to score more goals.  Whether it was Bird or Knight neither did.  Dont think he would want to lose either but also dont think he would be too heartbroken if they went and he could bring in his own replacements.  

3 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Even though we will get a similar fee for Knight in 12 months time, we need the money generated from his sale, to buy better quality forwards, now 

Which is nowt...he's out of contract next year.

3 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Which is nowt...he's out of contract next year.

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Plus, as I keep banging the drum, we’re well covered with Knight regards to a tribunal - it should be one of the highest ever paid out based on the criteria. If we keep him, we probably are no worse off than selling him this season - it’s just if we want the money upfront and what is on the table. It looks like £1.5-2m which is almost exactly what I expect a tribunal to pay out. I’d imagine Derby and teams have done their homework.

Read Taraji P Henson GIF by HULU